Post-Game Talk: Montreal finally beats Tampa 6-2.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Personally speaking...

1. Happy for the offensive outburst last night (Finally!)

2. Happy to see finally see a Saturday night PO game in Montreal.

3. Fully and completely expecting the Habs to be eliminated by 10pm.

4. Will be pleasantly surprised if they are not. :)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
The 1st rounder was conditional to Damphousse signing with SJ. So he is kind of right and not at the same time.

A 1st rounder for a not ufa Damphousse is far than enough. Not even close than enough. And since the first rounder required SJ so sign Damphousse it meant that to receive this first pick Damphousse needed to not become an ufa.

If Damphousse was becoming an UFA it was a 2nd round instead of a first. That's really not enough we gave more for an UFA Vanek a player inferior to Damphousse by a good margin.

Yup Damphousse was traded for a 2nd, 5th, a conditional 1st in the following year and then Houle went and traded 10th overall for Linden. Luckily it was a terrible draft after the Sedins.

Interestingly the 2nd rounder was given to Columbus to protect Jeff Hackett in the expansion draft.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Damphousse at that stage in his career wasn't as desirable as Vanek. Not close.

He was 31 only. Vanek was 29 ... Damphousse had a rough season the year he was traded but he was worth a definitive not conditional 1st round. Chicago paid a first round and a suspect for 32 years old Vermette this season.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
He was 31 only. Vanek was 29 ... Damphousse had a rough season the year he was traded but he was worth a definitive not conditional 1st round. Chicago paid a first round and a suspect for 32 years old Vermette this season.

You do realise you're comparing trades now to 16 years ago, right? Vermette was the only forward worth much at the trade deadline. It was a seller's market.

Vanek may have been 29, but he had been a high end goal scorer.

Damphousse was, as mentioned, a declining 31-year old that had just put up around .55 ppg. He was noticeably slower, too. Really very different.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Yup Damphousse was traded for a 2nd, 5th, a conditional 1st in the following year and then Houle went and traded 10th overall for Linden. Luckily it was a terrible draft after the Sedins.

Interestingly the 2nd rounder was given to Columbus to protect Jeff Hackett in the expansion draft.

Yep the worst about this trade is we gave a better first round pick for Linden who was a worse player Than Damphousse and just 2 years younger.

So in the end all the moves resulted in

Linden + Sj 1st + sj 2nd
for
Mtl 1st + Damphousse

Such a bad series of moves.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Biggest positive from last night is Galchenyuk. Definitely his best game in the playoffs so far. Confidence seems to be the biggest contributor to his success so far in his career; when he's on, he's on. Let's hope he keeps it going for next game because we'll need his offense.

Some of his plays were jaw dropping last night...

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I think the biggest mental hurdle is winning game 5. Most teams don't make it past that point. If they can do that, they change the pressure to the team that went up 3-0 and Tampa is already pretty fragile. They've been downright awful all players and are lucky to be where they are.

Although, Montreal has been terrible so far as well, but not as bad as Tampa. Just need to get those bounces.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yep the worst about this trade is we gave a better first round pick for Linden who was a worse player Than Damphousse and just 2 years younger.

So in the end all the moves resulted in

Linden + Sj 1st + sj 2nd
for
Mtl 1st + Damphousse

Such a bad series of moves.

It's even worse than that

Linden, (conditional)16th overall 2000, 2001 2nd, 1999 5th, 1999 2nd, 2000 6th, Zubrus, Lachance
for
10th overall 1999, Damphousse, Recchi, 1999 3rd

not very good asset management at all

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
But but but Bergevin got a steal when he only gave up a 2nd for Vanek lmao

I think he's fine as a regular season player. However, when playoffs time comes, then it's way harder for him to contribute to his team's success (need hustling, winning puck battles, giving the 2nd effort, backchecking)...

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I think he's fine as a regular season player. However, when playoffs time comes, then it's way harder for him to contribute to his team's success (need hustling, winning puck battles, giving the 2nd effort, backchecking)...

You mean like Pacioretty? :sarcasm:

Gaborik was still the best pick up at last years' TDL and LA got him without giving up a 1st. He scored more goals those playoffs than the entire habs team have this series.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
But but but Bergevin got a steal when he only gave up a 2nd for Vanek lmao

Classic hindsight Monday morning QB statement right here....Bergevin was smart enough not to resign him for any significant $$$$ or term, it's incredible that you're not even man enough to give him credit for not committing to him.....it's as though you take so much joy at an opportunity to bash him for him trying to make the team that you cheer for better...sometimes I don't get HAB fans!

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Well, the best we did is 6, twice. So I guess we can come back to a 7th game and we will lose :sarcasm:.

EDIT: Well, we won last 3 regular season games and the first 3 playoffs games too. So I guess we did it 3 times this year, so it could be another winning streak like this.

Don't get me wrong, I think we can do it! I am just saying it will be harder than winning consecutive regular season games.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Gaborik was still the best pick up at last years' TDL and LA got him without giving up a 1st. He scored more goals those playoffs than the entire habs team have this series.

1 goal, 2assists in a must win game and he did the same thing last year in the Boston series?? Is there anything you like about this team? All you do is constantly whine about the GM, or the coach, or players, or the system, a tad high maintenance are we? Btw, L.A gave up a 1st pick for Sekera who did jack!!

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

And how'd Gaborik do this year? Good trade at the time but Lombardi's dumb for re-signing him for so long.

Thankfully MB avoided that with Vanek!

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal

I have no problem with Pacioretty in the regular season (see my posts in his thread). He will bring his 35+G no matter what. However, when I watch him play in the playoffs, he doesn't seem to have that gear to be a playoff performer. Was pleasantly suprised by his game yesterday and hopefully he can build on that. He's a sniper and not a power forward. I can live with that.

So... The Islanders dodged a major bullet when Vanek decided no to sign with them.

Yeah, big time!

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
I have no problem with Pacioretty in the regular season (see my posts in his thread). He will bring his 35+G no matter what. However, when I watch him play in the playoffs, he doesn't seem to have that gear to be a playoff performer. Was pleasantly suprised by his game yesterday and hopefully he can build on that. He's a sniper and not a power forward. I can live with that.

Yeah, big time!

Was just happy to see him break and distribute the puck on Markov's goal. Me and my five friends all anticipated the weak boards shot into Bishop's crest, was good to see him give the example for the rest of the game. The amount of weak outside shots was kept to a minimum, if we can do that, make their big D's move and their inept goalie move more than 1 lane at a time we'll be successful.

DD, YOU HAVE A GOOD SLAPPER BRO!!! USE it more often man.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
2444a77b36de61c390a9d08b37c3f85e67eecc2c40a806d788a743f18e3d5f1b.jpg

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
How the hell is Gilbert leading the team with +6 in the playoffs given that he's seemingly on the ice for every goal against :laugh:

That's weird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad