Proposal: Montreal - Edmonton

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
There is a possibility that we end up trading a defenceman mayyybe next offseason. Jones is trending up, Lagesson is trending up, Bouchard is coming and Bear was playing very well before he got hit in the head. Samorukov had an excellent WJC, as did Kemp. Persson is blowing up the Swedish league again and coming over next offseason, and reportedly Berglund is considering it as well. We will know what we’ve got with a lot of those guys by next offseason.

At that point, maybe a deal for a Habs forward makes sense. Would absolutely HAVE to be an established guy, though.

I do acknowledge you said maybe but even with Jones, Bear, Bouchard coming up we need to move on from Manning, Benning and Petrovic. I don’t see any defenceman as being expendable. Maybe Russell, certainly not Nurse though.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I do acknowledge you said maybe but even with Jones, Bear, Bouchard coming up we need to move on from Manning, Benning and Petrovic. I don’t see any defenceman as being expendable. Maybe Russell, certainly not Nurse though.

I think you have plenty of expendable dmen. I'd totally get rid of both Sekera, Russel, Manning, Benning, Petrovic, etc. In 2 years, a Klefbom/Larsson, Nurse/Bouchard, Nurse/Bear d lineup works. It wouldn't be great but the cap situation would be vastly improved.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I think you have plenty of expendable dmen. I'd totally get rid of both Sekera, Russel, Manning, Benning, Petrovic, etc. In 2 years, a Klefbom/Larsson, Nurse/Bouchard, Nurse/Bear d lineup works. It wouldn't be great but the cap situation would be vastly improved.

Expendable as in top 4 which we don’t as we have 3 Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse. Everyone else needs to go is what I was saying.

Klefbom - Bouchard
Nurse - Larsson
Jones - Bear

That’s banking on Bouchard but if he develops into a top pairing guy, things start looking solid. Add in future draft picks/trades and the D core could be a strength in a few seasons.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
This trade is in the spirit of Mason trade. Habs take on a Cap dump to gain an asset.

Darnell Nurse + Ryan Spooner

For

Nick Suzuki + Jacob Olofosson + pick &/or Hudon?

Does this work for both sides. Oilers get an ELC sniper with top six potential a C prospect with middle six projections and a pick (not sure what pick balance this out).

Assuming Suzuki replaces a cheap player on their roster and Bouchard is called up to take a top four role next year the oilers gain about 4.3 million In cap space. This trade also is based on the idea that nurse may price himself out of Edmonton as an RFA after next year.

Oilers D Next year

Klefbom - Larsson
Russel/Sekera - Bouchard
Jones - Russel/Sekera

Habs D after trade until Juulsen Returns

Nurse - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak/Reilly - Benn

Overall, the proposal is reasonable. Unfortunately, the problem is the lack of DMen depth is why it’s unlikely to happen.

Oilers are trying reach the playoffs and don’t want another rebuild wasting another year of McDavid. To obtain Nurse, would require an overpayment due to their limited depth. They need him more than a prospect.

I like the Habs prospects, but they don’t help the Oilers when they need immediate help.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Why on earth do the Habs do this? What's the point of a B prospect? We have plenty B prospects.

Hudon comes off the roster without having to clear waivers.

Habs have cap space especially for an already-buried Spooner contract. Spooner should help Laval, call up option.

Oilers could use the cap space, change of scenery opportunity for Hudon. But that's not worth a lot more than a B-prospect. By B-prospect, I mean someone AHL-aged who has potential to be a middle-6 forward or middle-pairing D.

It's not sexy, but it helps both teams.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Hudon comes off the roster without having to clear waivers.

Habs have cap space especially for an already-buried Spooner contract. Spooner should help Laval, call up option.

Oilers could use the cap space, change of scenery opportunity for Hudon. But that's not worth a lot more than a B-prospect. By B-prospect, I mean someone AHL-aged who has potential to be a middle-6 forward or middle-pairing D.

It's not sexy, but it helps both teams.

I don’t think Habs ownership would go for a low level prospect in return for paying millions in salary (or buyout cost) for a capdump. The sweetener would have to be much more substantial than that imo. Its easy to propose when its not our money...

Reactions: Qwijibo

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
No, it does not work for Edmonton. Trading Nurse for magic beans would be one of the worst things we could possibly contemplate doing.

Neither Suzuki or Olofsson should be anywhere near the NHL next year and I’m not down for wasting more McDavid seasons by dealing one of our only good players for futures.

I’ll say it wouldn’t be awful if we wanted to deal for futures. We don’t.

Bakersfield would be a Calder Cup favourite, though. At least we’d have one team worth a damn. The Nurseless Oilers would be all-time terrible though.

This is so depressing as a hockey fan

Dominic Desjardins

Feb 9, 2019
While this may not be the value Edmonton wants or is looking for, it’s pretty clear Edmonton isn’t going anywhere with it’s current contracts. They need to clear cap space and add young talent with small cap hits. This seems very good for Edmonton, but I say no from a mtl perspective

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I don’t think Habs ownership would go for a low level prospect in return for paying millions in salary (or buyout cost) for a capdump. The sweetener would have to be much more substantial than that imo. Its easy to propose when its not our money...

That applies to all of us. It's none of our place to say what moves Habs ownership would approve of.

As for "low-level prospects", what about Cooper Marody or Tyler Benson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad