Proposal: Montreal - Edmonton

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
This trade is in the spirit of Mason trade. Habs take on a Cap dump to gain an asset.

Darnell Nurse + Ryan Spooner

For

Nick Suzuki + Jacob Olofosson + pick &/or Hudon?

Does this work for both sides. Oilers get an ELC sniper with top six potential a C prospect with middle six projections and a pick (not sure what pick balance this out).

Assuming Suzuki replaces a cheap player on their roster and Bouchard is called up to take a top four role next year the oilers gain about 4.3 million In cap space. This trade also is based on the idea that nurse may price himself out of Edmonton as an RFA after next year.

Oilers D Next year

Klefbom - Larsson
Russel/Sekera - Bouchard
Jones - Russel/Sekera

Habs D after trade until Juulsen Returns

Nurse - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak/Reilly - Benn

DomiTheBeast13

Dec 13, 2018
I would be surprised if Montreal were interested in Spooner who got waived recently ( and no one picked him up ).
Also, i believe Bergevin was pretty clear when he said he wasn't going to move those young guys that we saw at the World Junior. I don't think Suzuki get moved, and i have doubt Nurse gets it done. Nothing against him, i just think it would be strange to see MB trade the main piece he got in return of his ex-captain.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No, it does not work for Edmonton. Trading Nurse for magic beans would be one of the worst things we could possibly contemplate doing.

Neither Suzuki or Olofsson should be anywhere near the NHL next year and I’m not down for wasting more McDavid seasons by dealing one of our only good players for futures.

I’ll say it wouldn’t be awful if we wanted to deal for futures. We don’t.

Bakersfield would be a Calder Cup favourite, though. At least we’d have one team worth a damn. The Nurseless Oilers would be all-time terrible though.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Fair enough but in a vacuum what do you think about the value.

High-end prospect + b prospect + pick + Habs take on a Cap dump

I think we easily win this trade as Nurse is already a top 4 two-way dman with more room for improvement.

I wouldn't like it as an Oilers fan.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
No, it does not work for Edmonton. Trading Nurse for magic beans would be one of the worst things we could possibly contemplate doing.

Neither Suzuki or Olofsson should be anywhere near the NHL next year and I’m not down for wasting more McDavid seasons by dealing one of our only good players for futures.

I’ll say it wouldn’t be awful if we wanted to deal for futures. We don’t.

Suzuki has a good chance of being in the NHL next year I think but I understand why the oilers wouldn't do it. I'm concerned about Nurse:s next contract for Edmonton.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
If the oilers entertained the idea of moving Nurse for forward this is not deal they make. It would have to be one for one hockey trade for player right around the same age.

Reactions: 780il

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Not even close tbh

Nurse is 23. On pace for 40+ points, still rounding out his defensive game and has a toolbox bursting at the seams at 6'4 220lbs. You don't trade those type of dmen (6'4 and skate like the wind) for picks/prospects.

Reactions: BringJordanHome

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Suzuki has a good chance of being in the NHL next year I think but I understand why the oilers wouldn't do it. I'm concerned about Nurse:s next contract for Edmonton.

I have a philosophy - you’ll never get in trouble playing your good homegrown talent what they’re worth. You guys, Toronto, and Winnipeg are good examples of this. You don’t usually get in too much trouble when you deal talent for roughly/theoretically equal CURRENT talent. Again; see Drouin/Serg and Domi/Galchenyuk.

Where you get in trouble is when you try to cut the line and pay big in free agency to patch the holes in your ship. You also get in big trouble when you deal current young strong performers for a handful of futures and hope everything works out. It usually doesn’t.

If we dealt Nurse fearing for his next contract, we’d just need to fill the hole with another #3 defenceman.

Nurse right now is similar to Trouba’s situation in Winnipeg. The Jets are going to have to figure something out eventually but they deal with that problem when it comes. He’s signed for another year after this one and is an RFA afterward. There’s limited leverage.

I wouldn’t say Nurse is completely untouchable - but it’s pretty damn close.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Come summer of 2020 Lucic's contract is much easier to move. I don't see the Oilers having cap problems in two years.

As a Oilers armchair GM shoring up the defense is priority #1. Moving Nurse out doesn't fit in my future plans.

I understand the rush the push for more offense and making the playoffs, but time and time again this strategy has been the downfall of this franchise. Defense wins championships and its the core fundamental building block before building a continuing playoff contender. It's where previous GM's have made their blunders, that is to prioritize offense and completely forget about defense. New management better stop putting the cart in front of the horse.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I have a philosophy - you’ll never get in trouble playing your good homegrown talent what they’re worth. You guys, Toronto, and Winnipeg are good examples of this. You don’t usually get in too much trouble when you deal talent for roughly/theoretically equal CURRENT talent. Again; see Drouin/Serg and Domi/Galchenyuk.

Where you get in trouble is when you try to cut the line and pay big in free agency to patch the holes in your ship. You also get in big trouble when you deal current young strong performers for a handful of futures and hope everything works out. It usually doesn’t.

If we dealt Nurse fearing for his next contract, we’d just need to fill the hole with another #3 defenceman.

Nurse right now is similar to Trouba’s situation in Winnipeg. The Jets are going to have to figure something out eventually but they deal with that problem when it comes. He’s signed for another year after this one and is an RFA afterward. There’s limited leverage.

I wouldn’t say Nurse is completely untouchable - but it’s pretty damn close.

Totally get it

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If the oilers entertained the idea of moving Nurse for forward this is not deal they make. It would have to be one for one hockey trade for player right around the same age.

There is a possibility that we end up trading a defenceman mayyybe next offseason. Jones is trending up, Lagesson is trending up, Bouchard is coming and Bear was playing very well before he got hit in the head. Samorukov had an excellent WJC, as did Kemp. Persson is blowing up the Swedish league again and coming over next offseason, and reportedly Berglund is considering it as well. We will know what we’ve got with a lot of those guys by next offseason.

At that point, maybe a deal for a Habs forward makes sense. Would absolutely HAVE to be an established guy, though.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If a Mod would like to lock the thread it would seem while value isn't too bad the pieces are not what the oilers are after and they can not move the player in question at this time.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Not even close tbh

Nurse is 23. On pace for 40+ points, still rounding out his defensive game and has a toolbox bursting at the seams at 6'4 220lbs. You don't trade those type of dmen (6'4 and skate like the wind) for picks/prospects.
There’s one player on the Oilers who skates like the wind and it’s definitely not Nurse. I don’t see the Oilers trading him.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
So you ignores the top prospect, the b prospect, and the pick :thumbu:

We need another top 4 defenceman not a prospect or picks. It’s a horrible offer for Edmonton. A defence with Klefbom and Larsson as our only top 4 defencemen with Petrovic, Manning, Benning and Russell rounding out the core is what your essentially proposing for us. Sorry that’s a hard no!

Kris Russell as our #3 defenceman on the depth chart, and that’s when Klefbom is healthy. Honestly. This should absolutely be locked already.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
On one hand, I'd like having Nurse.
On the other hand, I would be pissed off to watch Suzuki being traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad