Proposal: Montreal Draft Day 4 Deals

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
I want Kotkaniemi and Hughes so indulge me here.

Trade 1: To Arizona: #3 and #128 to Montreal: #5, #55 and #74

Variations of this seem to be widely agreed upon, Arizona seemingly likes Zadina but he won't fall past four and I doubt Ottawa takes Kotkaniemi. Will also gladly give you Alzner if you need, ya know, character.

Trade 2: To Colorado: Pacioretty + Schlemko (@50%) for #16 + Compher + Bowers (I honestly don't know how highly he's valued to Colorado so idk if that's overkill, could also take a cap dump if needed)

New York, Dallas and Colorado are the only landing spots I see for Pacioretty with Florida off the board. Think he'd be a good fit with the Avs, Schlemko @50% adds some very cheap, puck moving defensive depth

Trade 3: To Toronto: Petry to Montreal: Martin (dump) + Brooks/Aaltonen + 25th + 2019 2nd

I know there's going to be some Toronto fans coming in here and saying that's overpayment right away. HOWEVER, most reasonable Leafs fans I've seen on here would do Tanev for a 1st + 2nd + meh prospect. I think Petry is the better D out of the two since he can contribute much more on offense, he's locked up an extra year, and they get to dump Martin's contract.

Trade 4: To Chicago: #16 and #25 To Montreal: Hossa contract (some negative value but barely) + #8 +#120

I don't really have a whole lot of justification for Chicago doing this one tbh but I think the value is fine

Out: Petry, Pacioretty, Schlemko, #3, #128

In: Compher, Bowers, Martin, Brooks/Aaltonen, Hossa dollars, #5, #8, #55, #74, #120, '19 2nd

Habs grab Kotkaniemi at 5 and Hughes at 8 (I think some combination of Dobson, Tkachuk and Boqvist/Bouchard go at 4, 6 and 7)

Maybe it's the aneurysm talking but looks good to me!!!

Trade 1: Arizona will probably be looking for a dman and at 5 they will get their guy so no reason to waste picks and move up

Trade 2: There is 0 chance in hell the Avs say yes to this. They are a team that is looking to get even younger and probably wouldn't even be interested in Patches, not to mention that is a massive overpayment. That package could get them Panarin or they could throw the 16th and a mid level prospect for Skinner. This is the worst of the 4

Trade 3: I could see it.

Trade 4: I could also see it but given that #2 is atrociously bad it wouldn't happen.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah that's fair I've just heard some people say Arizona is very high on Zadina. The only way this happens is if they see one of Tkachuk/Zadina as a clearly better fit than the other

100%. I think that tier of players is all relatively equal, but obviously im not a professional scout, and dont have the information they have. If Arizona was high on one or the other, I would offer 3rd plus their 3rd (if they have it), or something along those lines, and see if MTL bites. IF not, take the player you get left with. I would bank on Montreal taking one of the Centers with their pick, simply because i feel like they have to address that position at this point.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
yeah no... Tanev is the better option and I saw one fan offer 1st + 2nd + prospect. The most Tanev would return is 1st + (bracco/nielsen/timashov)

I don't think you get Tanev for less than 1st+2nd especially with Tampa kicking tires.

And why is Tanev the better option? All I see in Tanev to Leafs threads is people complaining he can't stay healthy and has no offense. The former of which has never been an issue for Petry, and the latter becoming less and less so

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Trade 2: There is 0 chance in hell the Avs say yes to this. They are a team that is looking to get even younger and probably wouldn't even be interested in Patches, not to mention that is a massive overpayment. That package could get them Panarin or they could throw the 16th and a mid level prospect for Skinner. This is the worst of the 4

Buddy...... if you think that package could get Panarin.........

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I don't think you get Tanev for less than 1st+2nd especially with Tampa kicking tires.

And why is Tanev the better option? All I see in Tanev to Leafs threads is people complaining he can't stay healthy and has no offense. The former of which has never been an issue for Petry, and the latter becoming less and less so

If Vancouver got that offer they would have taken it already, lets be honest. Tanev does have injury prone issues which is why most are hesistant to even make trade proposals for him, I would prefer him given the chemistry him and Rielly showed and that he's more of what we're looking for, no slouch to Petry. I just don't want Petry

Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If you think MB is going to get much more than a 1st for Patches..........

I don't and that's why I clearly stated I don't know how Bowers is valued.

1st + 2nd/3rd + a youngish player like Compher is almost exactly what I expect him to return. Kane returned a 1st, 4th and prospect as a worse player that many teams didn't want to touch due to history, and only half a season left.

That package doesn't sniff one of the best wingers in the league in Panarin lol

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

1st + 2nd/3rd + a youngish player like Compher is almost exactly what I expect him to return. Kane returned a 1st, 4th and prospect as a worse player that many teams didn't want to touch due to history, and only half a season left.

That 1st was conditional, and Kane acquitted himself very will on and off the ice following the trade which made SJ choose to pay full price. Kane is also younger as well.

Value Bowers as a mid to late 1st. He was a first round pick, and while he hasn't exploded in his D+1, hes maintained his value IMO.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017

Every GM in the league can pick up the scent of a Bergevin trying to trade for a young C prospect. And they can also look at his history of trades. Bergevin would have to add because you know, he clearly has no problem overpaying. Don't know if I said it here but some fans are delusional thinking MaxPac would land #15 & Borgstrom. #16 and Bowers worth probably as much to Sakic as the prior to Tallon.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

When has MB EVER made a good trade for one of his players? I doubt he gets any better than the 16th OA by itself.

There are a ton of better and younger options out there and the 1st round is winger heavy.

I could see a conditional 2nd, 4th and rando prospect like Kane though. But not a mid 1st, high end prospect and a young roster player.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
That 1st was conditional, and Kane acquitted himself very will on and off the ice following the trade which made SJ choose to pay full price. Kane is also younger as well.

Value Bowers as a mid to late 1st. He was a first round pick, and while he hasn't exploded in his D+1, hes maintained his value IMO.

Bowers had a really solid D+1 year. Answered a lot of question marks, especially about his scoring.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Agreed, maybe I didn't give enough lip service there, but I was also trying not to come off as a complete homer.

College prospects generally don't get much press, but Bowers really piling on the offensive numbers did a lot for his stock as a kid who was drafted based on his 2 way game being NHL ready and leadership.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
College prospects generally don't get much press, but Bowers really piling on the offensive numbers did a lot for his stock as a kid who was drafted based on his 2 way game being NHL ready and leadership.

I almost threw out the Tkachuk comment too, but deleted it.

Reactions: Meeqs

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Tanev is far superior to petry.

If you don't agree with that, at the very least, tanev suits the leafs needs much better.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Trade 1: Arizona will probably be looking for a dman and at 5 they will get their guy so no reason to waste picks and move up

Talk is that Arizona likes Zadina and would easily take him at 5.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Talk is that Arizona likes Zadina and would easily take him at 5.

Oh I'm sure, but they also have a big need on defense and there will be a ton of options there to where they are happy sticking there and taking BPA. Doubt there is any interest in moving up with a good option no matter what.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I almost threw out the Tkachuk comment too, but deleted it.

Funny you mention that because I literally just interviewed someone who made that comparison

Bowers aside, Pacioretty is one of the most prolific goal scorers in the league. He's not returning less than a 1st and a solid young player/prospect.

People can use the same tired rhetoric of Bergevin's past sh*tty trades to try and make a point but they're not going to just give him away when he could still be resigned or dealt at the deadline

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Tanev is far superior to petry.

If you don't agree with that, at the very least, tanev suits the leafs needs much better.

There is basically nothing to support Tanev being much better than Petry. Needs wise yes he fits well as Rielly's partner, but Petry is still a defensive dman first and foremost. Dude gets ridiculously underrated here

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
When has MB EVER made a good trade for one of his players? I doubt he gets any better than the 16th OA by itself.

There are a ton of better and younger options out there and the 1st round is winger heavy.

I could see a conditional 2nd, 4th and rando prospect like Kane though. But not a mid 1st, high end prospect and a young roster player.

Really hope you mean in addition to a 1st, in which case I wouldn't be overly upset with that return just because I think it's time to turn the page

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad