Eklund Rumor: Montreal discussing Gaudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Hockey is a team sport. It's funny how people rag on Gaudreau for being a playoff no show but guys like Tkachuk (5p in 15gp) gets a pass.

Gaudreau has had 2 unproductive playoff series where he was completely shadowed by the opposition. They were able to do that because nobody else is a real threat to create offense on the flames other than Gaudreau.

Gaudreau is a winner. He's won at every level - USHL championship, NCAA championship, and a WJC gold medal. Without him the flames don't even make the playoffs.

I don't always agree with you, but I like the thought you put into your posts.

I don't want to trade Gaudreau either. He makes people around him better and drives our offense. I look at Lindholm who is a 30 goal 70 point guy with Gaudreau and was a 20 goal 40 point guy before.

I also think your point on Tkachuk is a good one. Giordano also. They tend to get a pass for their playoff performances because they are "blood and guts" type players where Gaudreau is more skill and finesse. I appreciated the way both Tkachuk and Giordano tried to take on their share of the blame, but even with them doing that it seemed Gaudreau and Monahan were still the targets for the poor playoff performance. Really outside of Dube, Bennett, Lucic, Rieder and to a lesser extent Backlund everyone had a poor playoff performance up front. Brodie and Andersson were very good on the blueline too.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
cant wait for this new all-canadian division,willing to bet habs finish higher then the flames
I'd take that bet. I don't think the Flames are world beaters by any stretch. I think the Habs would be 5th or 6th in that format though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh my. What a post. I said they are a borderline playoff team. Mediocrity is where you don't want to be as an organization. It was absolutely a fluke win. Do you honestly think that a 4 game or 6 game sample size is more valid than a 70 game sample size. Giordano's best year wasn't 18/19. He was much better in 13/14 and 14/15 than he was in 18/19. Yes of course we are fine with Giordano going forward, but he isn't going to not decline. It's just that the decline will probably be moving from an all situations, no questions asked #1 defenseman to a #2 defenseman. Weber isn't going to become Yannick Weber or anything. But he will most likely decline moving forward.

I think outside of Montreal you'll find most people would see it the same way I do. They will be a borderline playoff team. I do think the moves they made will improve a 12th place team, but it's not like they were a 5th place team who added and is now elite. Anderson has averaged 16 goals per season over the last 3 years. I'd bet on 20. Toffoli is probably a good bet for 20 as well. Allen is a good backup or poor starter. It's an improvement to be sure, but not massively. No GM ever leaves an offseason thinking they didn't do good things and I've never heard a GM or team publicly state they don't like their team. Let's not forget you deleted a 50-60 point player in Domi to get Anderson as well.

Habs potential is clearly higher than where you are at.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This thread is about Gaudreau and not Tkachuk.
Yeah it started out that way but I haven't seen much discussion about Gaudreau and a possible trade to Montreal for a couple of pages now... likely because most feel it will never happen.
But good catch. I'm sure that @WhiskeyYourTheDevils feels properly chastised. Shame! Shame!

tenor (1).gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd take that bet. I don't think the Flames are world beaters by any stretch. I think the Habs would be 5th or 6th in that format though.

Both the Habs and Flames can be in the 5-10 mix (entire NHL) but you got to play the games on the ice and that can change things. Team match-ups, injuries, chemistry, and momentum are factors! Nobody can predict that accurately

Canadian division? Anything can happen. I can see any one of the Habs, Flames, Leafs, Oilers, Canucks, Jets winning the division. And the Sens will be better too. That will be a very competitive division

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You just said you think they would finish 5th to 10th in the conference... That's pretty close to where I see them. I'd put them 6th-10th.

5-10 was entire NHL, not just conference. Bold statement yes but those moves we made addressed our team flaws. We have better size on wing, our young centers are more experience with the playoff performances, and our goaltending is the best in the NHL. And all of our vets are younger than Giordano!

How many teams can roll three 2nd lines? Habs don't have a 1st line but we have very very good depth in all areas, including D. I find it funny how some think we are still after a LD :laugh:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Habs potential is clearly higher than where you are at.
I like your optimism and your belief in an alternate reality. Nobody likes a Debbie Downer. Bergevin depends on fans like you to support his work. Carry on.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Both the Habs and Flames can be in the 5-10 mix (entire NHL) but you got to play the games on the ice and that can change things. Team match-ups, injuries, chemistry, and momentum are factors! Nobody can predict that accurately

Canadian division? Anything can happen. I can see any one of the Habs, Flames, Leafs, Oilers, Canucks, Jets winning the division. And the Sens will be better too. That will be a very competitive division
I think the Leafs win the division assuming they stay healthy. Everyone else except the Sens have a shot at 2nd, but I do think the Flames, Oilers and Jets are a different tier than the Canucks and Habs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I like your optimism and your belief in an alternate reality. Nobody likes a Debbie Downer. Bergevin depends on fans like you to support his work. Carry on.

It's the track we are on which provides me the evidence to support we are better than bottom 10. We have a rising youth, decent mid core, and very good vets. We addressed our size on wing and back up goalie. Our D is going to be a pain to play against.

The only real flaw I see is our PP. I still see struggles there

This is deeper than just "optimism".

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think the Leafs win the division assuming they stay healthy. Everyone else except the Sens have a shot at 2nd, but I do think the Flames, Oilers and Jets are a different tier than the Canucks and Habs.

Not me. Leafs will burn you on the PP but they are not a great 5/5 team and their depth in the bottom 6F is weak while their team D still has flaws. Leafs will score goals cause their offense is potent but they are also easier to score against.

I can see any one of the Flames, Habs, Leafs, Oilers, Jets, or Canucks winning the division. Like I said, team momentum, chemistry, and injuries are major factors. Game is not played on paper and we see fluctuations from season to season all the time.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
5-10 was entire NHL, not just conference. Bold statement yes but those moves we made addressed our team flaws. We have better size on wing, our young centers are more experience with the playoff performances, and our goaltending is the best in the NHL. And all of our vets are younger than Giordano!

How many teams can roll three 2nd lines? Habs don't have a 1st line but we have very very good depth in all areas, including D. I find it funny how some think we are still after a LD :laugh:
Oh yes. If you think 5-10 in the NHL you're out there in the wind. Conference you're probably accurate. You were 24th in the league last year with 2 more games played than Buffalo and New Jersey. Also you had 5 forwards who had more than 30 points least year. Not sure how you are rolling out three 2nd lines.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh yes. If you think 5-10 in the NHL you're out there in the wind. Conference you're probably accurate. You were 24th in the league last year with 2 more games played than Buffalo and New Jersey. Also you had 5 forwards who had more than 30 points least year. Not sure how you are rolling out three 2nd lines.

Told you.. if the Habs were actually a bottom 10 team, the Pens would of blew us out of the play in round. You call that a fluke that we beat them? OK... did you even watch the Habs against the Flyers? Size on wing and goal scoring was an issue but go count those strange redirect bounces that went in on Price? Even the Ontario hockey media noticed it. Where were you? Sleeping?

You don't understand the context at play with the Habs. Addressing our flaws is a big deal for us. We still are not going to be in the top 5 mix. I'm pretty sure of that. But 5-10 mix? It's more possible than you can imagine. 11 pts separated us from 24th to 10th. That's 5-6 more wins. A difference of 1 win per month. 5-10 more wins gets us from 24th to 5-10 range. Less injuries, less flaws, more experienced Suzuki and KK, and all our vets are younger than Giordano. What Suzuki and KK did in the playoffs was no fluke. Several NHL players noticed it... you didn't

Remember, It's possible does not mean guaranteed. Pretty sure you or someone else will try to say I am speaking with guarantees.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Told you.. if the Habs were actually a bottom 10 team, the Pens would of blew us out of the play in round. You call that a fluke that we beat them? OK... did you even watch the Habs against the Flyers? Size on wing and goal scoring was an issue but go count those strange redirect bounces that went in on Price? Even the Ontario hockey media noticed it. Where were you? Sleeping?

You don't understand the context at play with the Habs. Addressing our flaws is a big deal for us. We still are not going to be in the top 5 mix. I'm pretty sure of that. But 5-10 mix? It's more possible than you can imagine. 11 pts separated us from 24th to 10th. That's 5-6 more wins. A difference of 1 win per month. 5-10 more wins gets us from 24th to 5-10 range. Less injuries, less flaws, more experienced Suzuki and KK, and all our vets are younger than Giordano. What Suzuki and KK did in the playoffs was no fluke. Several NHL players noticed it... you didn't
The Hawks were a bottom 10 team that beat the Oilers. Small sample size. It's hard to discuss hockey with someone who doesn't understand sample size. The Sabres were 9-0-1 in a ten game stretch. Are they better than the lightning? You were also 12 points out of 12th place if you go by winning percentage instead of counting playing 3 more games than lots of teams.

I don't know anyone who thinks the habs are a top 5-10 team in the league anywhere. You're the only person I've ever heard say that. I haven't heard any players talking about the Habs and how awesome they are outside of Montreal. Every team in the league has young players getting better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Hawks were a bottom 10 team that beat the Oilers. Small sample size. It's hard to discuss hockey with someone who doesn't understand sample size. The Sabres were 9-0-1 in a ten game stretch. Are they better than the lightning? You were also 12 points out of 12th place if you go by winning percentage instead of counting playing 3 more games than lots of teams.

I don't know anyone who thinks the habs are a top 5-10 team in the league anywhere. You're the only person I've ever heard say that. I haven't heard any players talking about the Habs and how awesome they are outside of Montreal. Every team in the league has young players getting better.

It's possible the Habs can get to the top 5-10 mix. Only 5-10 more wins vs last year and only 2-4 more wins in 18/19. And we have added to our roster since then.... additions that directly address our team flaws. We have good momentum going for us. Game is played on ice yes so we will have to wait and see. I know how it sounds to the negative ones. And I honestly don't think you understand where the Habs are at.

Want to bet on it? You think my possibility prediction is off the charts so $20 to you if you win (Habs finish worse than top 10) and $100 to me I win? Habs finish in the top 10. It's cheap to be negative so the only way I'll bet is you give me 5/1 odds. You seem comfortable with your prediction or opinion so you in?

Last edited:

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Best systems? They finished 24th in league standings and barely got into the playoffs and if it hadn't been for the pandemic they wouldn't have made it at all. They haven't drafted an impact player in I don't know how long. All their decent players are a result of trade.
They suck at drafting. The last good player that they didn't pick in the first round was Brendan Gallagher in 2010.

Montreal Canadiens Draft History at hockeydb.com
I think you two are having different conversations - you are talking about the past up to now, and he is talking about "the talent we have in the system for now and the future"; both of you are right.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's possible the Habs can get to the top 5-10 mix. Only 5-10 more wins vs last year and only 2-4 more wins in 18/19. And we have added to our roster since then.... additions that directly address our team flaws. We have good momentum going for us. Game is played on ice yes so we will have to wait and see.

I know how it sounds to the negative ones. And I honestly don't think you understand where the Habs are at.
Everyone understands where the Habs are at, you don't have any special intelligence. You just see things through red, white and blue glasses. You say all they need is 5-10 more wins. Well all any team needs is 5-10 more wins. The Flames win the western conference with 5-10 more wins. You understand every team in the league is a playoff team except Detroit with 5-10 more wins right?

Reactions: Homesick

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I think you two are having different conversations - you are talking about the past up to now, and he is talking about "the talent we have in the system for now and the future"; both of you are right.
One can only base an accurate analysis on past events and performance. Future "potential" is crystal ball stuff with a good pinch of optimism thrown in. Just because players are doing well in the minors or Jr hockey doesn't mean it will translate into success in the NHL. We've all seen too many cases, even #1 draft picks, where it doesn't. I'm in the "show me" group. Until that happens I'm sceptical.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Speak for yourself, not everyone. Your comments don't indicate you know where the Habs are at. You think us beating the Pens was a fluke and you likely don't know how well of a test we gave the Flyers cause I doubt you watched the games.

You deleted the other parts of the post where I ask you to bet? What's up with that? You scared?

The habs and hawks beating their playin opponents was a fluke. Any non covid year we are celebrating and hoping for a lottery win.

Reactions: DirtDiver

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Speak for yourself, not everyone. Your comments don't indicate you know where the Habs are at. You think us beating the Pens was a fluke and you likely don't know how well of a test we gave the Flyers cause I doubt you watched the games.

You deleted the other parts of the post where I ask you to bet? What's up with that? You scared?
I watched every game. It was definitely a fluke. They were outshot and badly out chanced in every game against the Penguins. Trusting someone from an internet message board to pay up is foolishness, but I never deleted any part of your post unless you edited it after it was quoted. As an Albertan you'd just be sending my own money back to me anyway.

Reactions: DirtDiver

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Let me be of assistance here and let's put it into the hands of HFB fanbase overall so this thread can get back on topic and I don't have to give anyone infractions for OT posts.

Link to poll:

Habs a Top 10 Team In the NHL This Upcoming Season?

Now let's get this thread back on topic, JG to the Habs. If you want to debate Habs season next year go to the poll I created.

Thanks for your cooperation

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Let me be of assistance here and let's put it into the hands of HFB fanbase overall so this thread can get back on topic and I don't have to give anyone infractions for OT posts.

Link to poll:

Habs a Top 10 Team In the NHL This Upcoming Season?

Now let's get this thread back on topic, JG to the Habs. If you want to debate Habs season next year go to the poll I created.

Thanks for your cooperation
LOL... I never saw this poll but I just participated and cast my vote with the overwhelming, and probably correct, majority. Thank you.

Now that that's been settled I'm looking forward to reading more posts about why Calgary wouldn't trade Gaudreau to Montreal because Montreal has nothing that would make Calgary a better team sans Gaudreau and why Montreal doesn't want him because the players they would have to give up are just too valuable and he wouldn't want to play there anyways.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
In one of your quotes you say

[ I don't hate the Habs or wish you guys bad fortune. I just don't see your roster as anything more than a borderline playoff team. For the record, I DON'T SEE MY TEAM AS MUCH BETTER THAN THAT EITHER.

Than you go on and say we are not on the same tier as your team.

Can you make up your mind?
Well uhh, they say they see the team as better, but marginally. It can still be assumed they prefer what the Flames have to be a step above in the Canadian division. But honestly f*** this thread, y'all are so beyond the actual point of if a trade works you're looking through post history to find two vaguely contradictory ideas to prove the Habs are somehow better than percieved. Just drop it at this point and move on, no one's getting their minds changed here and it's obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad