Eklund Rumor: Montreal discussing Gaudreau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Eklund rumor, but its the off-season so lets speculate.

"Following up on a lead that the Canadiens have talked "very seriously" in the last few days with the Flames regarding Johnny Gaudreau. This is interesting on several levels, not the least of which comes the news that people close to Gaudreau are saying he may have played his last game in Calgary..."

Habs arent exactly thin on the left side with Tatar Drouin and Lehkenon.

Their entire right side has just signed in Montreal, in Anderson- Toffoli and Gallagher (NMC) (ps. are the habs going to be sick this year?)

Flames need right side D help, dont see Petry or Weber being a fit in this case.

That really only leaves Suzuki...

I dont know. Dont rip me and get all butt hurt. Just guessing.

Thoughts?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
It really comes down to this.

Gaudreau is good, no knock on him.

Is Montreal willing to give the assets Calgary needs? No, Suzuki isn't being traded.

Does he fit Montreal's direction? No Montreal is getting notably bigger.

Does he fit Habs cap situation? No, he's signed for 2 more years and would be Habs highest paid forward.

Pretty much any offer the Habs make would be something like Drouin+ or Tatar/Danault (rentals)+. Doesn't really seem a fit in any way.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Hahahha so this insinuation here is the Habs, cap tight Habs, will trade Suzuki and whatever to Calgary for Gaudreau? Nope.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I know back around the draft Renaud Lavoie from TVA Sports suggested that Gaudreau would be traded by draft or UFA. People discounted it as not true (clearly it didn't occur) - but he's not usually like Eklund - he's part of the sister company of sportsnet on the french side. So equivalent to someone like Friedman for example - he's usually highly credible (certainly doesn't make shit up out of thin air as others do) - so he must have heard that somewhere.

Reason why I bring this up is - Lavoie is particularly well connected to the Habs, above any other teams. So the fact that he claimed that back then, and that today these rumors tie Gaudreau to the Habs make me think there may actually be something to this rumor.

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hahahha so this insinuation here is the Habs, cap tight Habs, will trade Suzuki and whatever to Calgary for Gaudreau? Nope.

OP was just guessing at Suzuki - don't think Eklund said Suzuki.

I agree - no chance Habs move Suzuki. Doesn't mean a deal couldn't be done elsewhere, maybe.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I know back around the draft Renaud Lavoie from TVA Sports suggested that Gaudreau would be traded by draft or UFA. People discounted it as not true (clearly it didn't occur) - but he's not usually like Eklund - he's part of the sister company of sportsnet on the french side. So equivalent to someone like Friedman for example - he's usually highly credible (certainly doesn't make shit up out of thin air as others do) - so he must have heard that somewhere.

Reason why I bring this up is - Lavoie is particularly well connected to the Habs, above any other teams. So the fact that he claimed that back then, and that today these rumors tie Gaudreau to the Habs make me think there may actually be something to this rumor.
I don't see how this makes any sense at all. Bergevin would almost have to blow up the team he spent this off-season putting together to accommodate Gaudreau's $6.75M cap hit. Add that he has only this year and one more left to being a UFA, his lack of size...makes no sense at all.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't see how this makes any sense at all. Bergevin would almost have to blow up the team he spent this off-season putting together to accommodate Gaudreau's $6.75M cap hit. Add that he has only this year and one more left to being a UFA, his lack of size...makes no sense at all.

It would work if it's Drouin+ depth D (Kulak or Mete) for Gaudreau. Of course the scenerios it works for the Habs would never work for Calgary.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Does he fit Habs cap situation? No, he's signed for 2 more years and would be Habs highest paid forward.

He fits as a replacement for Drouin or Tatar; his salary would be shed in two years and the money would be given to Suzuki. It does fit, it just doesn't make sense for Calgary. Montreal could give picks, but Calgary isn't rebuilding.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It would work if it's Drouin+ depth D (Kulak or Mete) for Gaudreau. Of course the scenerios it works for the Habs would never work for Calgary.
Indeed if what the Flames would want is a RD then I don't see how they would be interested in a move for Drouin.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Gaudreau is a superstar offensive player capable of scoring 90+ points. We arguably have no one on our roster who will ever score 80 points in a season - not just this upcoming season.

I don't think Bergevin will completely blow up the team to go after the likes of Gaudreau or anything - but depending on the cost I absolutely think it would be worth looking into. 6.75M$ is a great contract for a player capable of scoring 90+.

Clearly with being UFA that's a component. Whether there's willingness to re-sign, or even talks of extension right away - who knows.

Reactions: Ainsy01

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He fits as a replacement for Drouin or Tatar; his salary would be shed in two years and the money would be given to Suzuki. It does fit, it just doesn't make sense for Calgary. Montreal could give picks, but Calgary isn't rebuilding.

Yeah, I'm really struggling to find a fit for Calgary from Habs available roster.

Drouin? Downgrade for Calgary.
Danault? Doesn't move the needle for them, becomes a dog fight of Monahan / Lindholm / Backlund of centres that wouldn't work for any of them.
Tatar - Rental/downgrade
Lehkonen/ Armia/ prospects/ - none makes sense

Such a silly silly trade imo. Habs probably checked the price on him as they do for every other player on the market (MB is known for being a more active GM) but I can't see the convo going past the asking price stage.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs probably interested but Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Romanov are not on the trade table. Caufield, Primeau, and Guhle maybe. Flames looking for a RD?

Not sure how this will play out if it's true (big if). Habs can't add Gaudreau without sending equal or more contracts the other way. It would have to be Gaudreau for Tatar, +, +. Tatar, Caufield, and one of Fleury or Brook?

Don't see this working to be honest. Gaudreau is a awesome talent (soft but very skilled) and with 2 years left if I recall correctly? Flames are going to want more than just a 2 year term left is what my gut feelings are.

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Yeah, I'm really struggling to find a fit for Calgary from Habs available roster.

Drouin? Downgrade for Calgary.
Danault? Doesn't move the needle for them, becomes a dog fight of Monahan / Lindholm / Backlund of centres that wouldn't work for any of them.
Tatar - Rental/downgrade
Lehkonen/ Armia/ prospects/ - none makes sense

Such a silly silly trade imo. Habs probably checked the price on him as they do for every other player on the market (MB is known for being a more active GM) but I can't see the convo going past the asking price stage.

It won't happen because Calgary won't want to get worse

But

Tatar + Guhle + 2021 1st makes a tad bit of sense. Yes, it's a downgrade, but they add two good assets and Tatar is a stopgap that opens up cap space at the end of this season as well as about 2m now. I do think other teams could offer a better package, though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No one on Montreal should be untouchable

Suzuki pretty much is, unless he's traded for what would be right away an improvement at the same position with a similar caphit for the next two seasons (and presumably won't have to be protected).
And I don't think that player exist.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I would 100% do Gaudreau for Kotkaniemi or Suzuki but I can't think of anything else, unless the Habs want to swap Gallagher for Gaudreau

Drouin would require a significant add

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad