Proposal: Montreal deadline deals

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Delusions of grandeur in you think Montreal's players hold this much value.
I'm sure that Pacioretty will go for close to what the OP posted, value-wise, considering his past seasons, his contract status and the leadership and exemplary athlete that he is (no matter what are his critics, he is a natural beast). This year he has struggled but so has the entire team, I'm sure if he gets to play with better teammates he'll be posting up 70+ points / 35+ goals.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Who would give up a 1st round pick for Byron of all players? Please enlighten me, I can't think of a single team.
Maybe a team with an extra 1st looking for pk and speed help would send its lowest for Byron and 1 of Mtl’s 3 second rounders to make it a 10-15 move down. I like regulars on low salary.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Who would give up a 1st round pick for Byron of all players? Please enlighten me, I can't think of a single team.

Byron scored 22 goals last year, is on pace for 22 this year, is great on the PK, and makes 1.2 million for this year and next year. He'd be a great addition at a low cap hit for any contender.

Worse players than him have gotten a 1st. If no one offers at least that for him then Montreal will just keep him. A 2nd round pick is a definite underpayment for a player of his caliber.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Byron scored 22 goals last year, is on pace for 22 this year, is great on the PK, and makes 1.2 million for this year and next year. He'd be a great addition at a low cap hit for any contender.

Worse players than him have gotten a 1st. If no one offers at least that for him then Montreal will just keep him. A 2nd round pick is a definite underpayment for a player of his caliber.

You never answered my question, what team would give up a 1st rounder for Byron? I can't think of any team that would. Guys like Byron are moved for a dime a dozen at the deadline, just because Byron might be a better version of Lee Stempniak doesn't mean that he'll bring back much more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Maybe a team with an extra 1st looking for pk and speed help would send its lowest for Byron and 1 of Mtl’s 3 second rounders to make it a 10-15 move down. I like regulars on low salary.

This is actually a valid option, but that's not really "trading Byron for a 1st" though.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
You never answered my question, what team would give up a 1st rounder for Byron? I can't think of any team that would. Guys like Byron are moved for a dime a dozen at the deadline, just because Byron might be a better version of Lee Stempniak doesn't mean that he'll bring back much more than a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I'm not sure of every team's needs so I can't really say. But there are always teams looking to add speed and scoring at the deadline and Byron can do that for this year and beyond.

And the price is high because he's signed beyond this year for cheap. In a cap world, a 20-goal scorer for 1.2 million holds a lot of value. Can you point to another 20-goal scorer moved for a "dime a dozen" at the deadline? Martin Hanzal got more than a first and he produced similarly to Byron last year, but he was a UFA.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure of every team's needs so I can't really say. But there are always teams looking to add speed and scoring at the deadline and Byron can do that for this year and beyond.

And the price is high because he's signed beyond this year for cheap. In a cap world, a 20-goal scorer for 1.2 million holds a lot of value. Can you point to another 20-goal scorer moved for a "dime a dozen" at the deadline? Martin Hanzal got more than a first and he produced similarly to Byron last year, but he was a UFA.

I already mentioned one, Lee Stempniak. He had 16 goals and 41 points in 63 games in 2015-2016 with New Jersey, and was traded to Boston at the deadline for a 2nd and a 4th. I used Stempniak because he's a great comparison for Byron.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I already mentioned one, Lee Stempniak. He had 16 goals and 41 points in 63 games in 2015-2016 with New Jersey, and was traded to Boston at the deadline for a 2nd and a 4th. I used Stempniak because he's a great comparison for Byron.

He was traded as a pending UFA. With another year on his contract, up that 2nd to a 1st for Byron. And you can look at Ryan Reaves too as a worse player than Byron who got moved for a 1st.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He was traded as a pending UFA. With another year on his contract, up that 2nd to a 1st for Byron. And you can look at Ryan Reaves too as a worse player than Byron who got moved for a 1st.

Reaves wasn't moved for a 1st, he was traded for a meh center prospect and 20 spots in the draft. Sure, you can package Byron with one of your 2nds and likely get a late 1st, but that's not what it seems like you meant when you said that.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Reaves wasn't moved for a 1st, he was traded for a meh center prospect and 20 spots in the draft. Sure, you can package Byron with one of your 2nds and likely get a late 1st, but that's not what it seems like you meant when you said that.

Okay then look at Martin Hanzal who I already mentioned. Similar production to Byron but he was moved for a 1st, 2nd, and 4th at the deadline without even being signed for another year.

You're completely ignoring the extra year as a significant factor in value.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Okay then look at Martin Hanzal who I already mentioned. Similar production to Byron but he was moved for a 1st, 2nd, and 4th at the deadline without even being signed for another year.

You're completely ignoring the extra year as a significant factor in value.
Hanzal + White + 4th for 1st, 2nd a 4th and a career ahler.

4th cancel out. White for a 2nd? Hanzal for 1st and ahler.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Hanzal + White + 4th for 1st, 2nd a 4th and a career ahler.

4th cancel out. White for a 2nd? Hanzal for 1st and ahler.

White isn't worth a 2nd. He's in the AHL right now. It's more 1st+2nd for Hanzal with White and the AHLer cancelling out.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
White isn't worth a 2nd. He's in the AHL right now. It's more 1st+2nd for Hanzal with White and the AHLer cancelling out.
Now he doesnt. Last year he was a full-time nhler. They dont come for free at the tdl. Year before 11 goals. But at least you backed out of 1,2,4 for Hanzal.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
note that byron is on the 7th worst pk in the league. does that help or hinder his "he plays on the pk value"?

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Now he doesnt. Last year he was a full-time nhler. They dont come for free at the tdl. Year before 11 goals. But at least you backed out of 1,2,4 for Hanzal.
So White is worth a 2nd, then it's pretty fair to say Byron is worth more (a first).

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Honestly, I think some team might give up a conditional 1st for Byron.

A similar trade to the Eaves one last year.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
He was a 4th line plug last year and a throw-in to the trade. No chance in hell his value was a 2nd round pick.

So White is worth a 2nd, then it's pretty fair to say Byron is worth more (a first).

Exactly. Byron is far better than White so the conversation will start at a 1st round pick

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
I'm calling my shots and prognosticating Pacioretty to the New York Islanders with Ryan Pulock being the main cog going back to Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad