Proposal: Montreal - Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yah, none of those guys can play defense too. :sarcasm:

Kidding aside, a good number 1 d does wonders for making mediocre goaltending look great. I haven't seen any Avs games this year but I imagine that a top pairing improvement would definitely help more than it'd hurt the goalies.
If the Avs had mediocre goaltending they would be safe in a playoff spot right now.Its been that bad.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Problem with giving up a young Dman is that we receive nothing that adresses our needs we have bunch of Lekhonens in our lineup if there was high chance of him becoming a top 6 forward I don't think the Habs would want to trade him IMO. We would be better of trading Girard/Zadorov for actual need which is top 6 forward which we would need to add of course. Anyway can't see Girard getting traded he is only 20 and as shown great promises for young kid rather hang on him since he is our best option as LHD for the future. IMO he hasn't looked that bad as a top pairing this season yes he makes some brain fart plays but he is young and will learn from it. Don't think we are good trading partners we need top 6 forwards or a goalie :help:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
:habs

Artturi Lehkonen
Mike Reilly
2nd round pick

:avs

Samuel Girard
Colin Wilson

Girard is not only French, but many times better than the terrible package being offered.

Mete is the closest comparable and this package is so bad, it wouldn’t even be close either. Girard is not only significantly better than Mete past, present and likely future, but for any deal it has to include either Kota, Drouin or Suzuki.

Hunter31

Feb 4, 2019
I think that if we change the 2nd for a 1rst and we're pulling out Wilson it could work ! Lehkonen could really help colorado on the second line.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
They've been "struggling" lately because they have had a 95% PDO for the past 25 games. Their play has been fine, just brutal luck, mostly by unthinkably bad goal tending, but their shot raters over that time defensively were in the upper end of the league.
Do bad teams ever have high pdo?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
You guys can keep Girard and we will keep Lehkonen. What's the deal with Zadorov? Is he available?

Not really. He's still only 23 years old with RFA years left, and we all know that defensemen take a little longer to develop, especially big ones. He also adds a physical presence to the blueline that we're not likely going to get from Makar/Girard/Barrie. He's not completely untouchable, but I can't think of many "fair" trades that would give the Avs incentive to move him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not really. He's still only 23 years old with RFA years left, and we all know that defensemen take a little longer to develop, especially big ones. He also adds a physical presence to the blueline that we're not likely going to get from Makar/Girard/Barrie. He's not completely untouchable, but I can't think of many "fair" trades that would give the Avs incentive to move him.

What are the Avs needs? Do you not trade Zadorov cause you need him on LD? Is there a player in the system that could replace him? Just wondering cause any trade discussion needs to address team needs from both sides.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think that if we change the 2nd for a 1rst and we're pulling out Wilson it could work ! Lehkonen could really help colorado on the second line.

Girard is already playing on our top D pairing at 20 years old. Trading him for a 2nd line forward, a meh depth guy and a mid/late 1st doesn't sound like the kind of thing any reasonably competent GM would do.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Let's just remove Girard from the discussion.

Do you guys still want Colin Wilson? UFA at season's end. Big body, playoff experience, strong shot but tunnel vision when it comes to passing. Would trade him for a 3rd round pick.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You guys can keep Girard and we will keep Lehkonen. What's the deal with Zadorov? Is he available?
Seemingly he tends to pop up in rumors as available. Not sure why, as it would significantly weaken our defensive core. But chances are of you made Sakic a credible offer he'd probably take it.

That being said a BS offer of meh prospects or average picks probably isn't getting you Zadorov. It would probably be a 1 for 1 hockey trade of similarly aged and talent wise players. And sorry that player probably isn't Lehkonen.

Reactions: Barklez

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Habs are not trading Lehkonen any more than the Avs are trading Girard. Edge to Girard in value but lets not pretend Lehkonen is a spare part.
Let's not pretend they're remotely close in value. Lehkonen is a 3rd liner and Girard is at worse a top 4 Defenseman with potential to be top 2.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
What are the Avs needs? Do you not trade Zadorov cause you need him on LD? Is there a player in the system that could replace him? Just wondering cause any trade discussion needs to address team needs from both sides.

Our biggest need, in my opinion, is patience. So much of our talent is under 24 years old, and very few of them have played even 200 NHL games yet. Makar, Kaut, Bowers, Timmins, etc. haven't even played 1 NHL game yet. And we still have 2 picks in the 2019 draft that look like they'll probably be lottery picks. Right now, it's hard to figure out what we're going to need next year, let alone trying to plan for the future.

As for Z, right now, I think we need him more than what we would likely get for him in a trade. The only other LHD who looks NHL ready right now is Graves, and he's not really the same kind of physical force that Zadorov is. My current long term guess is that in 2-3 years, Zadorov provides the physical defense to allow Makar to do his thing, and Girard plays with Timmins/Meloche. Obviously, a few things need to go right for that to happen and could change in the near future, but that's my working model.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Let's just remove Girard from the discussion.

Do you guys still want Colin Wilson? UFA at season's end. Big body, playoff experience, strong shot but tunnel vision when it comes to passing. Would trade him for a 3rd round pick.

If the Habs need a LHD, Patrik Nemeth is also a pending UFA. Big body depth D, good shot blocker and PKer. Wilson + Nemeth for a 2nd?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our biggest need, in my opinion, is patience. So much of our talent is under 24 years old, and very few of them have played even 200 NHL games yet. Makar, Kaut, Bowers, Timmins, etc. haven't even played 1 NHL game yet. And we still have 2 picks in the 2019 draft that look like they'll probably be lottery picks. Right now, it's hard to figure out what we're going to need next year, let alone trying to plan for the future.

As for Z, right now, I think we need him more than what we would likely get for him in a trade. The only other LHD who looks NHL ready right now is Graves, and he's not really the same kind of physical force that Zadorov is. My current long term guess is that in 2-3 years, Zadorov provides the physical defense to allow Makar to do his thing, and Girard plays with Timmins/Meloche. Obviously, a few things need to go right for that to happen and could change in the near future, but that's my working model.

This is kind of what I was thinking about the LD side as well. You confirmed it and I agree with you... you need Zadorov

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the Habs need a LHD, Patrik Nemeth is also a pending UFA. Big body depth D, good shot blocker and PKer. Wilson + Nemeth for a 2nd?

We need someone who is better than Reilly and Kulak in the bottom 2 LD spots. Nemeth don't fit. We are looking at players under RFA control and with top 4LD potential.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's not pretend they're remotely close in value. Lehkonen is a 3rd liner and Girard is at worse a top 4 Defenseman with potential to be top 2.

Lehkonen is a middle 6 winger talent that can play both wings. You are pumping Girards tires and deflating Lehkonen's. Both are young players who are improving. It's anybodies guess how they look when they are in their prime years.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
All the time, congrats on not understanding PDO
I understand pdo. If you have crappy forwards, crappy defense, and crappy goaltending you're not going to have high pdo.

It's not just an indication of good or bad fortune.

Did you think pdo was something only a highly complex brain like yours could understand? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad