Montreal claims Halpern on waivers

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
then it sucks, Halpern or no Halpern it sucks. It's not like NOT claiming him would change anything when it comes to Bourque or Bourque replacement...

See, in my mind, that would mean MB has to find a replacement for Bourque which juggles all the roster spots if he can land a good deal. I don't see how he heads into the playoffs not finding an alternative to RB.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
Halpern is a good smart depth player, at least MT can't throw out Billy Lindsay for any last second face offs if they play the Canes ;)

Also I remember an interview with Eller his first year where he talked about how great having Halpern around was. Halpern is a really consumate pro and great person, good to have around the kids and can still play

Shrewd move by Berg

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Oh! Wow, I step away for a few days and we pick up Halpern. Not a big more but I like it. Guy always played with a lot of heart and this season that seems to be our selling feature.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
What I don't understand is; you pick up a player like Halpern whose main quality is to be winning faceoffs, and you put him on the wing at practice... That's just weird.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
What I don't understand is; you pick up a player like Halpern whose main quality is to be winning faceoffs, and you put him on the wing at practice... That's just weird.

The way Habs' centres get tossed out of the circle, even on a wing he'll get half of the face-offs.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
hated letting him go, glad to have him back, equally confused about our fwds situation.

Was it just me or did Houde say that Bourque took some steps back in recovery? It's scaring me. Playoffs really aren't that far away.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
hated letting him go, glad to have him back, equally confused about our fwds situation.

Was it just me or did Houde say that Bourque took some steps back in recovery? It's scaring me. Playoffs really aren't that far away.

That is true. It must be real frustrating for him because he seemed literally days away from coming back before the symptoms crept up again.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
See, in my mind, that would mean MB has to find a replacement for Bourque which juggles all the roster spots if he can land a good deal. I don't see how he heads into the playoffs not finding an alternative to RB.

has nothing to do with Halpern being on the Habs, Halpern or no Halpern, it doesnt change that.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
Yes they can.

Of course they can. You obviously missed the point of my post.

I was merely trying to lighten up the mood a little bit because some people are getting so worked up over an obvious depth addition that detracts nothing from our team as currently assembled. It is a great pickup by MB and I give him huge props for it. It doesn't mean it is going to lead to bigger moves like the one I posted, or anything like that. That was just me dreaming that it might. ;) It's just a simple depth and experience addition, and some posters should embrace it for what it is: a low risk, decent reward pickup.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Habs' PK and FO work has underwhelmed. And we've got roster space with the current injuries. So IMHO it is a no-brainer to try out Halpern. Whether it ultimately fails, who cares. Nothing lost. It was worth a try.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Anyway, with Moen turning all soff this season, I certainly don't mind kicking the tires on Halpern. While I believe the PK issues are more systemic, he would definitely help reduce Pleks' minutes a bit and keep Pleks fresh for the long haul, IF ALL GOES WELL, of course.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Why is he wearing #24? I thought #15 looked better on him. For some reason I always felt #24 was a defenseman number in Montreal.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Thought I heard he was slow. He moved real well out there. Faceoff beast too. Forgot how good he was. Keep the nostalgia train chugging right on into Anaheim so we can pick up our captain, plox!

hogtownhabsfan*

He really is almost the ideal 4th line center. That play where he tied up both penguins D and fed Dumont in front was epic. He's the complete package as a 4th line center. Getting him for nothing was a coup.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Halpern will be very effective in a bottom6 role. Some forget he was forced into the top6 by Martin. He'll be a bigtime playoff guy for us, just watch.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Halpern will be very effective in a bottom6 role. Some forget he was forced into the top6 by Martin. He'll be a bigtime playoff guy for us, just watch.

I will never forget seeing him on the 1st line going into the trade deadline and Gauthier electing to get Sopel and the bearded one...then talked about roofs and holes. Nightmares!

The great thing about Halpern is if he loses a faceoff, he can actually tie up the other centerman.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
61.11% in the circle and Pittsburgh went 0/2 on the PP.

Yup, Halpern sure looks good after one game. Hope he keeps it up.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Halpern looked great. It's getting a bit crowded down there... we all thought/think of Armstrong as eminently jettisonable for the summer, but he's getting 15 mins a night lately and I'm not so sure that management is going to think the same. Dumont isn't waiver exempt next year, and looks like he can play. White is at least ok in his role too, and I think has room to grow if he gets an edge back. I could see us having 5 guys on the 4th line next season? :dunno:

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Halpern is perfect for centering the 4th line and it helps move White to the wing where he is a lot more effective and can play more physical.

Moen - Halpern - White could be a nice 4th line for the playoffs but clearly White will be benched for Armstrong once Prust is back..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad