Montreal claims Halpern on waivers

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Dude, shut up already! We needed a veteran 4th line center who's good on face-offs and PK duties, and we got the best one available. More Halpern means less Plekanec on the PK, get it?

Now on to our next need... Halpern and Prust are a solid 4th line duo, now we just need somebody big (who plays big) to complete the line. I know he was mentionned in a sarcastic tone, but Parros is a great locker-room presence and knows his job.

Well we had Petteri Nokelainen who was essentialy filling the same purpose as Halpern.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
if our forwards are all healthy, Dumont is pretty much guaranteed to go back AHL, Halpern becomes the 13th forward. There's really no point in keeping a youngster in the stands for a long while.

And since White is injured, for now Halpern is of some use, we'll probably be see something like Moen-Halpern-Armstrong till White is OK.

As I mentioned if they intend to play Halpern instead of Dumont and White, I don’t like this move but, if they plan to give him, once everyone is healthy and as you are supposing, the #13F position... I would go from “don’t like” to “lukewarm”!

Right now, each times I read Halpern’s name, I hear echoes from last seasons softness festival. It's like a soft whispering breeze... can you hear it? PPPPYYYYaaaaattttttTT... HalpeeeeEEErrnnNN... MOOOOOOOrrrrre... CAAAMMMMPPPOOOOLiiiiiii...

Those are the building blocks of nightmares imo! ;)

Analyzer*

As I mentioned if they intend to play Halpern instead of Dumont and White, I don’t like this move but, if they plan to give him, once everyone is healthy and as you are supposing, the #13F position... I would go from “don’t like†to “lukewarmâ€!

Right now, each times I read Halpern’s name, I hear echoes from last seasons softness festival. It's like a soft whispering breeze... can you hear it? PPPPYYYYaaaaattttttTT... HalpeeeeEEErrnnNN... MOOOOOOOrrrrre... CAAAMMMMPPPOOOOLiiiiiii...

Halpern, Pyatt and Moore haven't played here in 2-3 years.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011

None of those were in Montreal last season :help:

Edit: oh except Campoli though apparantly I've blanked that out. Probably for the best.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Halpern, Pyatt and Moore haven't played here in 2-3 years.

None of those were in Montreal last season :help:

Edit: oh except Campoli though apparantly I've blanked that out. Probably for the best.

Yeah I know: this softness festival has been going on for a long time in Montreal!

Btw... it’s seasons with a “s”. You guys are so picky. Serious business.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
As I mentioned if they intend to play Halpern instead of Dumont and White, I don’t like this move but, if they plan to give him, once everyone is healthy and as you are supposing, the #13F position... I would go from “don’t like†to “lukewarmâ€!

no need to panic...

Halpern or not, once everyone of our forward is healthy, there's no room for Dumont as a regular anyway.

Analyzer*

Yeah I know: this softness festival has been going on for a long time in Montreal!

Btw... it’s seasons with a “sâ€. You guys are so picky. Serious business.

The way I read it was "Last season's softness festival"

Either way it problem is still here, but it's been, at least somewhat targeted with the signing of Prust.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
23 roster spots is an answer. Your grocery cart doesn't limit the size of your grocery usually. You can always get another cart. Here we can't without dropping some items. Not saying it's the best answer, but some might see it this way. You need to sacrifice a spot to play a goon.

Well, that's the only possible answer.

Besides, Tinordi will get sent down whenever Diaz is cleared to play, and I wouldn't rule out Kaberle or Weber being dealt (the latter, when he's gonna be healthy). I'm all for Tinordi staying here, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him called back for the playoffs, but he's probably gonna be sent down sooner or later.

Basically, if the Habs can get "rid" one of Weber or Kaberle, it will be a neutral move as far as roster places are concerned.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
no one else... Halpern or no Halpern, when Bourque and Prust are back, no room for Dumont.

Its a real possibility Bourque doesn't play another game this season. Then what?

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
OK guys, I've got it figured out..

We picked up Halpern, who has made Moen expendable. We didn't do it to just add depth and experience before a lengthy playoff run without losing anything off our roster, that would make too much sense.

I think we got him because we are going to package Moen, Weber plus a pick to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. I guess they can throw in a 5th or something. Anaheim can't keep Ryan now that they signed Perry right? We all wanted Perry to come here, but let's get Ryan for 3/4 of the cap hit!!

I like it. :)

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
23 roster spots is an answer. Your grocery cart doesn't limit the size of your grocery usually. You can always get another cart. Here we can't without dropping some items. Not saying it's the best answer, but some might see it this way. You need to sacrifice a spot to play a goon.

For the moment, yes, but rosters expand (no max.) after the deadline.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Its a real possibility Bourque doesn't play another game this season. Then what?

then it sucks, Halpern or no Halpern it sucks. It's not like NOT claiming him would change anything when it comes to Bourque or Bourque replacement...

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
So much overreaction for a player that will cost 300 000...

And will be gone after the season is done.

We were all here at the top of the month, saying, "Damn, we need a 4th line centre that can win face-offs and play the PK. Our PK is poor this season."

We get Halpern, who offers both of those things, plays hard every night, comes cheap and is gone after this season.

Do we really need to put an emphasis on the one inch he lacks to be a 6'0 guy. You know what that's called? Reaching.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
So much overreaction for a player that will cost 300 000...

If you look at it specifically, you are probably right. However this move is not the first that is leading towards a softer team.

Assuming a healthy line-up (1) there is no more room for Prust in the top 9, (2) Halpern in Montreal does have an impact on Dumont and White's (both play with more energy and toughness than Halpern) status with the team and (3) Diaz deserves to play and once he is ready, 6’6” Tinordi will probably be the one who will end up in the AHL or the press box. You can also add the way Moen is playing since his concussion: he did change his game a little... he looks more careful out there.

Both Dumont and White are doing a good job in the FO circle so I am not sure what need Halpern answers.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I think some of you are forgetting how good Halpern was when he did play with us. Albeit he is older now but he still brings veteran leadership and a good defensive game. Winning in the playoffs is about not making any stupid mistakes like not being able to clear the puck out of our zone and winning key defensive faceoffs. Guys like dumont and white are still young and would make mistakes and would probably cost us a game in the playoff. We already have gallagher, galchenyuk, eller, emelin, diaz that are young and don't have playoff experience. They are all really good players and will be a big part of are playoff success but everything is magnified come post season and a guy like Halpern can do all the small things that will help us win

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Let'S say that Team has two needs, which will be called Need X and Need Y.

Team A brings player N, who takes care of Need X.

Question : How does bringing player N means that team A won't be able to bring in player M in order to take care of Need Y?

That like, going to the grocery while having to buy milk and ham. Buying milk doesn't preclude buying ham.

Milk and Ham, that is just gross, ewww.

As I mentioned if they intend to play Halpern instead of Dumont and White, I don’t like this move but, if they plan to give him, once everyone is healthy and as you are supposing, the #13F position... I would go from “don’t like” to “lukewarm”!

Moore was excellent for us.

Then nothing. We can't replace Bourque without giving up too much. Too bad. That's the way it goes.

Unless you want the panicatdeadlineandgiveupprospectstogetbumped anywayinthefirstroundyears back.

OK guys, I've got it figured out..

We picked up Halpern, who has made Moen expendable. We didn't do it to just add depth and experience before a lengthy playoff run without losing anything off our roster, that would make too much sense.

I think we got him because we are going to package Moen, Weber plus a pick to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. I guess they can throw in a 5th or something. Anaheim can't keep Ryan now that they signed Perry right? We all wanted Perry to come here, but let's get Ryan for 3/4 of the cap hit!!

I like it. :)

So do I. So does my mom. Too bad Anaheim won't.

I think some of you are forgetting how good Halpern was when he did play with us. Albeit he is older now but he still brings veteran leadership and a good defensive game. Winning in the playoffs is about not making any stupid mistakes like not being able to clear the puck out of our zone and winning key defensive faceoffs. Guys like dumont and white are still young and would make mistakes and would probably cost us a game in the playoff. We already have gallagher, galchenyuk, eller, emelin, diaz that are young and don't have playoff experience. They are all really good players and will be a big part of are playoff success but everything is magnified come post season and a guy like Halpern can do all the small things that will help us win

Good post. Halpern costs us ZERO and may help big time. Why ***** about this? Because Dumont and White miss ice time? Wow.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
If you look at it specifically, you are probably right. However this move is not the first that is leading towards a softer team.

Assuming a healthy line-up (1) there is no more room for Prust in the top 9, (2) Halpern in Montreal does have an impact on Dumont and White's (both play with more energy and toughness than Halpern) status with the team and (3) Diaz deserves to play and once he is ready, 6’6†Tinordi will probably be the one who will end up in the AHL or the press box. You can also add the way Moen is playing since his concussion: he did change his game a little... he looks more careful out there.

Both Dumont and White are doing a good job in the FO circle so I am not sure what need Halpern answers.

As usual, you are spot on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->