Proposal: Montreal - Chicago

Gaud

May 11, 2017
thing is Saad can slide from the top 3 to the top 6 with ease and the team needs. he will provide offense on both ...... not splashy but a consistent production. players like him always get over looked. then you add Gus as the icing .

Gus as the icing? I had it the other way around. I get your point about Saad, but I can slide Tatar, Byron, etc up and down my 3 lines.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
We tend to underrate his value because we see all of his flaws. I absolutely think Gustafsson is worth a 2nd+B prospect.
There was talk last year that we would be lucky to get a 2nd, and that was at his highest value.
He's terrible defensively, only has 10pts on the year, pacing for 30 total. He is a completely replaceable player at this point.

No ReGretzkys

May 8, 2018
I would offer a 3rd + olofsson for Gus. a 2nd seems a bit too much imo considering that we got Petry for a 2nd and a 5th just a couple years back.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
So a $6M player with 3rd line production for 2 years and an UFA for a 1st (very possible lottery pick), a 2nd, a previous 1st round pick that has progressed well but with head-hakes issues and a serviceable #7 D.

That would be bad for the Habs. Switch the 1st for a second and now we are talking
you know a lot of 3rd liners in the NHL at 23 goal, 46 pt pace? seems to be pretty run of the mill 2nd line production pace

120 forwards scored 46 pts or better last year (Saad being one of them with 47 pts)

there are clearly only 186 top six forward openings in the league, so either Saad is the best third liner in the NHL, or hes a bona fide top six forward by production (which he is)

Last edited:
Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
you know a lot of 3rd liners in the NHL at 23 goal, 46 pt pace? seems to be pretty run of the mill 2nd line production pace

120 forwards scored 46 pts or better last year (Saad being one of them with 47 pts)

there are clearly only 186 top six forward openings in the league, so either Saad is the best third liner in the NHL, or hes a bona fide top six forward by production (which he is)
the best explanation of the whole thread.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Last year Drouin, Tatar, Domi all outproduced Saad with Byron being a couple points behind. All are on pace to outproduce (except Byron) this year and all play LW. That is not counting Lehkonen and Cousins who also are LW.

I agree that Saad has 2nd line production but he just doesn’t fit on our team unless one of the players mentioned above is being shipped elsewhere.

The very last thing this team need is another LW. Nothing against Saad but this is the reality

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Last year Drouin, Tatar, Domi all outproduced Saad with Byron being a couple points behind. All are on pace to outproduce (except Byron) this year and all play LW. That is not counting Lehkonen and Cousins who also are LW.

I agree that Saad has 2nd line production but he just doesn’t fit on our team unless one of the players mentioned above is being shipped elsewhere.

The very last thing this team need is another LW. Nothing against Saad but this is the reality
And thats completely fair. If you have 3 LWs ahead of him or even two, then yea, it doesnt make sense as a fit for that team. I was merely responding to the other poster who dubbed him "third line production" which is laughably far from the truth. Saad is still good for ~25 goals a year which no third liner does.

I agree its just not a fit for Montreal given what they have and need.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

your main weakness in this pov of yours is the personnel of the team. in other words the game plan. just b/c the Bhawks have Toews, Kane, Cat and such, it doesn't mean that Saad will get that amount of touches on the puck let alone plays setup for him. he is or would be the last resort on each line ......

so comparing those players is really asking people to look at the magician and what he would do during a magic act. the pict is or will not be a true picture.

Last edited:

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal

Fair enough so Saad has low end 2nd line production and is overpaid at $6M for 2 yrs. still a bad trade in the op from the Habs side

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Fair enough so Saad has low end 2nd line production and is overpaid at $6M for 2 yrs. still a bad trade in the op from the Habs side
Again, not sure what you think second line type forwards go for anymore to produce 20+ goals and 45+ points in today's cap because first line forwards get $8+ now

Also, he's in the top 120 of production for forwards last year, so this "low end second line production" is a continued farce by you. Top 93 are what you can call top line forwards, so he's basically in the top third of second line forwards by production alone. But spin however you want

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Again, not sure what you think second line type forwards go for anymore to produce 20+ goals and 45+ points in today's cap because first line forwards get $8+ now

Also, he's in the top 120 of production for forwards last year, so this "low end second line production" is a continued farce by you. Top 93 are what you can call top line forwards, so he's basically in the top third of second line forwards by production alone. But spin however you want
:clap: :teach2: :cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad