HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Training Camp (Roster & Pre-Season Schedule in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What do you think stiffled the creativity of a 0.88 PPG OHL D in his D+1? Skills need to be utilized to be developed. Barely hanging on Weber for first pair duties is not a proper development environment.

You just illustrated the problem with your thinking. Any prospect succeeding while rushed to the NHL was good enough and every prospect that failed was not. This is dependent on hindsight and thus is of little value. For example, if Dobes ends up busting, you will just turn around and say he wasn't good enough, but if he ends up being a #1 goalie you will be clamoring your theory once again.

If you think your thinking actually has value, please state every prospect we have and if they will be NHLer or not.

The AHL is an easier development path, better taken by most.

Some player will go through directly to the NHL, but it's majorly the elite of the NHL.
His D+1 was in the OHL. Did you mean D+2? And yes, it was nuts to pair a 4th round draft pick with Weber in the NHL at 19. I could SEE he needed huge sheltering and ignored my own eyes.

I also agree that most prospects pass through the AHL before they are ready for the NHL. I just don't think Guhle is one of them. I think Barron is, and Harris is. I'm not in favour of all prospects starting in the NHL.

Of course the AHL is an "easier" path, and easy is not a good thing per se, but it is better than sinking a level higher.

Reactions: Kennerback

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
His D+1 was in the OHL. Did you mean D+2? And yes, it was nuts to pair a 4th round draft pick with Weber in the NHL at 19. I could SEE he needed huge sheltering and ignored my own eyes.

I also agree that most propsects pass through the AHL before they are ready for the NHL. I just don't think Guhle is one of them. I think Barron is, and Harris is. I'm not in favour of all prospects starting in the NHL.

Of course the AHL is an easier path, and easy is not a good thing per se, but it is better than sinking a level higher.

No, I meant D+1, which is why is said 0.88 PPG in the OHL which was his D+1.
You saw it was nuts, yet in your posts at the time it was nothing but approval. You're just proving my point about dishonest hindsight.

Easier doesn't mean easy, which is another hole in your argumentation. I can guarantee you Guhle would not find the AHL easy.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
if Dobes ends up busting, you will just turn around and say he wasn't good enough, but if he ends up being a #1 goalie you will be clamoring your theory once again.
What theory? Dobes will turn pro when he wants, will probably play at the level he performs at, and will progress if he is smart, avoids injuries and is handled well.

If you think your thinking actually has value, please state every prospect we have and if they will be NHLer or not.
Goalies
Montembeault: NHL/AHL tweener
Primeau: 60% chance NHLer, 20% starter
Dobes: 80% NHLer, 50% chance he becomes an NHL starter
Vrbetic: 20% chance NHLer (not athletic enough)

Defence
Barron: 75% NHLer, 50% top-4 within 2-3 years from now, ceiling Petry
** Guhle: 90% NHLer, 75% top-4 within 2 years, 50% top pairing at peak, ceiling Serge Savard, more likely McDonagh
** Xhekaj: 80% NHLer, 40% top-4 within 2-3 years from now, ceiling Larry Robinson light (but long shot to actually happen)
Harris: 75% NHLer, likely 3rd pairing within 2 years (age 24)
Mailloux: 50% NHLer, 30% top-4 within 3-4 years, small chance of being a star
Trudeau: 25% 3rd pairing NHLer within 3-4 years
Hutson: 40% NHLer, 25% top-4 D by age 22 high risk / high reward
Fairbrother: 25% chance hits potential of bottom pair NHL D within 3 years

Forwards
** Slafkovsky: 90% NHLer, 60% Top-6 winger within 2 years
Mesar: 75% NHLer, likely middle-six forward by age 22
Heineman: 70% NHLer, peak potental middle-6 forward, more likely 3rd liner within 2-3 years
Beck: 75% NHLer, likely 3C/4C with trust by age 22
Farrell: 40% NHLer, but likely 2nd line player if he makes it
J. Roy: 50% chance NHLer middle-6 winger
Ylonen: 60% NHLer, likely bottom 6 within 2 years
RHP: 50% 4th line NHLer within 2 years
Kidney: 25% NHLer, likely ends up AHL vet or in Europe

** = only 3 guys of our 21 listed propsects who I don't think need to start in AHL, and Xhekaj is only there right away due to Edmundson injury, so really just two.

Last edited:

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Hughes acquired or extended half of them...

Gallagher
Armia
Drouin
Dadonov
Hoffman
Allen
Montembeault

Savard
Wideman

Imo the list is missing Byron as well... but Byron, Drouin, and Dadonov are leaving and will combine for a total, what, 80-90 points this season? It won't be too hard to replace them I hope. Hoffman and Armia are more annoying to think about.

I'm really against the Allen extension, I think it was unnecessary to rush that one.
I kept Byron off because his career might be over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad