HF Habs: Montreal Canadiens Hockey Ops (Kent Hughes, Jeff Gorton, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Here's some other interesting pieces:

“I don’t think in this market you can just do what Arizona does and hope, or do what Buffalo has done and hope,” Hughes said in a half-hour interview with The Athletic on Sunday. “We’ve got to fill this team.”
But Hughes is not promising some kind of quick fix, either.
“We need to sell the vision of what we’re trying to accomplish, that we’re going to create an environment that’s fun to play in, and we’re going to play a brand of hockey that’s fun to play in over time,” he said. “How quickly do we get to that? Somebody asked me (about) players and style of play. You can’t have a coach wanting to play one way if you don’t have the players to play (that style). So, that isn’t necessarily a one-year plan.”

“I met with (Brendan) Gallagher last night, he’s great, he’s not letting it get to him despite the circumstances,” Hughes said. “We’re going to have conversations. We can’t promise… every veteran player who looks at this and, ‘well, we’re not going to be good for a few years, I’d love to be out of here.’ Well, not every single player is going to be out of here. We’ve got to field a hockey team next year, we’re not going to go the route of the Arizona Coyotes and trade every player away for a draft pick.”
In other words, this is not a fire sale. But it is a sale. There are players available if teams are interested.

“We’re not going to trade every long-term contract, every player that’s got term on his deal that is going take him into his thirties. That’s unrealistic right now,” Hughes said. “But if we have opportunities to move players, we’ll move them. So ideally, a large part of what we’re going to do is to be acquiring assets, be it young prospects or young hockey players or draft picks.”

“I would think all things being equal, if we could have the 13th overall pick in this year’s draft, or the 13th overall pick from last year’s, or two years ago, we’ll take the guy (from) two years ago, he’s closer to being ready,” Hughes said. “That’s all things being equal. If we don’t like that particular prospect, we’re not going to take him just because he’s two years older.
“But clearly, your timeline is shortened when you pick up prospects instead of draft picks.”

“I don’t anticipate a buyout path this summer, particularly,” Hughes warned.

“We have to sell a vision that we have the right people here, starting at the top in terms of management, that understand what players want, understand the brand of hockey that most people want to play, so how do we create that place in a great city?” Hughes said. “We can get creative in terms of how we structure deals. I did that my whole career — tax planning and all kinds of other things to minimize those issues — they’re available in a lot of different ways.”

“I’m hoping that we’re going into next year with a fresh start, there’s an excitement to it, but we’ve got to reset. It’s not like we’re trying to get through this season to go back and try to win a Stanley Cup next year,” he said. “Part of our job as an organization is setting whatever our objectives are, what we’re trying to do, and creating an environment. It’s teaching too, and not just trying to win and lose. How are we going about our days? How are we improving our hockey players? How are we improving our team? That’s going to be a real focal point for us, and then doing it within an environment that people are happy to be there.
“Again, back to the front of our conversation, it’s not fun losing in an environment where you’re paid to win. But when you’re in that rebuild mode, setting expectations, setting objectives, providing perspective, I think that’s important in terms of shaping the experience. It’s important for us to do. I’m pretty sure Arizona, despite having a very similar record to us, is probably not in quite as difficult an environment right now.”

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

“I don’t think in this market you can just do what Arizona does and hope, or do what Buffalo has done and hope,” Hughes said in a half-hour interview with The Athletic on Sunday. “We’ve got to fill this team.”
“We need to sell the vision of what we’re trying to accomplish, that we’re going to create an environment that’s fun to play in, and we’re going to play a brand of hockey that’s fun to play in over time,” he said. “How quickly do we get to that? Somebody asked me (about) players and style of play. You can’t have a coach wanting to play one way if you don’t have the players to play (that style). So, that isn’t necessarily a one-year plan.”

“I met with (Brendan) Gallagher last night, he’s great, he’s not letting it get to him despite the circumstances,” Hughes said. “We’re going to have conversations. We can’t promise… every veteran player who looks at this and, ‘well, we’re not going to be good for a few years, I’d love to be out of here.’ Well, not every single player is going to be out of here. We’ve got to field a hockey team next year, we’re not going to go the route of the Arizona Coyotes and trade every player away for a draft pick.”
In other words, this is not a fire sale. But it is a sale. There are players available if teams are interested.

“We’re not going to trade every long-term contract, every player that’s got term on his deal that is going take him into his thirties. That’s unrealistic right now,” Hughes said. “But if we have opportunities to move players, we’ll move them. So ideally, a large part of what we’re going to do is to be acquiring assets, be it young prospects or young hockey players or draft picks.”

“I would think all things being equal, if we could have the 13th overall pick in this year’s draft, or the 13th overall pick from last year’s, or two years ago, we’ll take the guy (from) two years ago, he’s closer to being ready,” Hughes said. “That’s all things being equal. If we don’t like that particular prospect, we’re not going to take him just because he’s two years older.
“But clearly, your timeline is shortened when you pick up prospects instead of draft picks.”

“We have to sell a vision that we have the right people here, starting at the top in terms of management, that understand what players want, understand the brand of hockey that most people want to play, so how do we create that place in a great city?” Hughes said. “We can get creative in terms of how we structure deals. I did that my whole career — tax planning and all kinds of other things to minimize those issues — they’re available in a lot of different ways.”

“I’m hoping that we’re going into next year with a fresh start, there’s an excitement to it, but we’ve got to reset. It’s not like we’re trying to get through this season to go back and try to win a Stanley Cup next year,” he said. “Part of our job as an organization is setting whatever our objectives are, what we’re trying to do, and creating an environment. It’s teaching too, and not just trying to win and lose. How are we going about our days? How are we improving our hockey players? How are we improving our team? That’s going to be a real focal point for us, and then doing it within an environment that people are happy to be there.
“Again, back to the front of our conversation, it’s not fun losing in an environment where you’re paid to win. But when you’re in that rebuild mode, setting expectations, setting objectives, providing perspective, I think that’s important in terms of shaping the experience. It’s important for us to do. I’m pretty sure Arizona, despite having a very similar record to us, is probably not in quite as difficult an environment right now.”
Great info

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I believe most of what Price said, that he likes Mtl and that it's his home. I also think that he will want to try to win the cup at least once and that this is not going to happen in mtl. If this is the case, Price's best play is to come back before the end of the season and show he is 100% so that he is "tradable" at his highest value for the Mtl. Some players just pressure organisations into trading them ASAP, but i think Price will show class and allow the habs a return that doesnt hurt them. I hope the habs take this time to put Primeau in Price's environment for development purposes
I think also Price needs to be careful with his wording and sort of tow the company line for now. You're right, he will need to prove he can still play at some point.
I still believe, if they didn't have that run last year, this conversation would've started much earlier. I honestly think Price would've wanted out if they missed the playoffs last year.
No matter what, he just won't benefit this team even if he can return healthy. They need so much more than him and building will take time he just doesn't have. He'll be a burden on the cap and if he plays well, it'll just put them in a worse draft position. (I'm speaking about starting next season btw).
Worst case scenario, if he can't stay healthy and or has further issues, then he's basically an expensive backup who's untradeable. They'd better hope that one of these young goalies works out, cuz I'm not confident in Primeau.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Thanks for sharing this. Some great context Hughes is providing for us. He's smart. He's not saying it's a "5 year rebuild" and he's not saying it's a fire sale. Guys available and we are open for business but each trade offer for any player will be reviewed 1/1 as them come.

So far, I like what I hear from Gorton and Hughes. Got to establish a new culture and how long that takes is fluid. Can't predict the future that accurately so it's best not to present some flawed timeline to the fans and media.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think also Price needs to be careful with his wording and sort of tow the company line for now. You're right, he will need to prove he can still play at some point.
I still believe, if they didn't have that run last year, this conversation would've started much earlier. I honestly think Price would've wanted out if they missed the playoffs last year.
No matter what, he just won't benefit this team even if he can return healthy. They need so much more than him and building will take time he just doesn't have. He'll be a burden on the cap and if he plays well, it'll just put them in a worse draft position. (I'm speaking about starting next season btw).
Worst case scenario, if he can't stay healthy and or has further issues, then he's basically an expensive backup who's untradeable. They'd better hope that one of these young goalies works out, cuz I'm not confident in Primeau.

A part of me believes that guys who took max deals where the organization committed to them, there is some level of loyalty. And these guys are pros... they can and will get frustrated with what's happening right now (both on and off the ice) but they know what they signed up for. I do believe they wait for the new management to start their new process on our new direction. Petry's case is a bit different. He has his family to worry about and is caught in the middle between his family and the Habs. I don't blame him for asking for a trade but the context I comprehend is he is not in their face to say it needs to happen right away.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Finally, a gm with brains. Another example of the ineptitude of our former moron gm Bozovin- thinking he was smarter than everyone else with his logic of trading down for lower picks in worse draft years. How did the hell was he able to keep his job for 9 freaking years?! Unbelievable...

On another note, i would really like to hear Hughes come out and say they will be major players for the best college and European free agents as this is like found money which they have been extremely poor at exploiting.No more of these Waked, Verbeek, jevpalovs useless signings.

There are arguments for trading down in later rounds, and/or if you don't see anyone that you want who isn't likely to be around for your next pick, but MB really went nuts on the trading down thing. He traded up a couple of times, for Tinordi and Lernout, so maybe it's just as well he didn't do it more often.

I like the way Hughes is going. It won't necessarily be a smooth ride, but as long as he improves the processes the team will get better.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Very f***ing good question. No matter how new you are to a team, you HAD to see that both guys needed that trip down.
You can only signal to the players that they don't belong so many times. After a while, there's not going to be much development going on at lower level.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
A part of me believes that guys who took max deals where the organization committed to them, there is some level of loyalty. And these guys are pros... they can and will get frustrated with what's happening right now (both on and off the ice) but they know what they signed up for. I do believe they wait for the new management to start their new process on our new direction. Petry's case is a bit different. He has his family to worry about and is caught in the middle between his family and the Habs. I don't blame him for asking for a trade but the context I comprehend is he is not in their face to say it needs to happen right away.
Good points, but I think you sign a max deal expecting some level of success at some point during the term. Price has done a LOT by himself more or less, and still hasn't won a Stanley cup. It might be different is he was 30, but I can't believe he'd be content retiring here.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I gotta wonder what we're doing here with player development.

It's low hanging fruit to send Caufield/Poehling to the AHL right now with the week break and Laval playing.

What the hell are we waiting for here?

My opinion? I think Poehling will stay in Montreal. He's averaging 13 mins of ice time so far this season. But he's also being used on the PP.

As for Caufield, it depends. Because Hughes said in an interview that when he meets with Ducharme this week, he will ask him what his plan is for prospects like Suzuki and Caufield. So if the plan will be to use Caufield more in Montreal and not juggle him up and down the line-up, then I see them keeping him up.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
My opinion? I think Poehling will stay in Montreal. He's averaging 13 mins of ice time so far this season. But he's also being used on the PP.

As for Caufield, it depends. Because Hughes said in an interview that when he meets with Ducharme this week, he will ask him what his plan is for prospects like Suzuki and Caufield. So if the plan will be to use Caufield more in Montreal and not juggle him up and down the line-up, then I see them keeping him up.

But they're not playing for a week and Laval is playing, Caufield has missed games due to Covid. At the minimum, you have a baked in excuse to send Caufield down and get the puck on his stick for 20 minutes a game.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I remember hearing they were very high on Horvat…..that could’ve been the real target, but of course most will point out Morin as he was francophone.

It's possible they wanted Horvat. The Flyers' draft video showed Bergevin calling them trying to move up to the 11th overall spot. Morin was taken at 11th. But as you say, at the time they were trying to move up to 11th, their target was probably Horvat, who went 9th overall to the Canucks. And many might assume that they wanted to go to 11th to get Morin.

Reactions: jaffy27

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Price will be a Cap burden regardless of what happens.

If he's bought out, he's a 9M+ Cap figure anyhow because ost of his salary was in bonuses.

If the Habs hold back half his salary to help move him (to help other teams consider the risk of taking on Price for four years given his health status), the G position, at he absolute minimum, with Allen and Primeau as the G tandem next season, will come in at just a little over 9M anyhow. In all likelihood, they would add another veteran, short term, like a Khubodin at 3.75M and the G position would ring in at roughly 11.75M, or a little more.

If Price stays, along with Allen, the G position keeps costing 13.375M. If it's with Primeau, it costs 11.4M short term until Primeau's contract gets renegotiated as a genuine NHLer.

It's four years if Price stays and I still think it's good timing for the team's return to respectability.

Might as well keep price, IMHO, over that time frame if he is able to play at a competitive level. If he can't, he'll end up on the LTIR anyhow and the question of what to do with Price would become moot.

If he stays, though, he'll, as you say, help the team win a few more games and finish higher in the standings, which, unlike you, I think might be more important than bottoming out again in a more engraved loosing culture.

Even if Montreal doesn't make the playoffs, they'll be in more games (that they end up losing) than otherwise, IMO, and that can only be good for developing youngsters.

The D will be extremely young over the next couple of years, I believe, with the arrival of Harris next season, followed by that of Guhle the following season, the that of Mailloux, most likely. Having Price who can play the puck competently outside of his net, act ice the 3rd defender and take pressure away from younger Ds can only be beneficial for their confidence and hip them progress by learning from mistakes out on the ice without dwelling on the consequences.

For years, Price made the D look better than it actually was, by helping them to simplify their game and helping to quell the opposent's forechecking game.

That can be an integral part of a rebuild.

Playing failure in the standings ahead of development for the youngsters is short-sighted and uniformed, IMHO. But, maybe that's just me.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Thanks for sharing this. Some great context Hughes is providing for us. He's smart. He's not saying it's a "5 year rebuild" and he's not saying it's a fire sale. Guys available and we are open for business but each trade offer for any player will be reviewed 1/1 as them come.

So far, I like what I hear from Gorton and Hughes. Got to establish a new culture and how long that takes is fluid. Can't predict the future that accurately so it's best not to present some flawed timeline to the fans and media.

Most important statement from Hughes, IMO, in respect to the Montreal market that can't be handcuffed and fail for years, as opposed to a market like that for the Yotes, for example, is that he would prefer youngsters that were already drafted and partial developped over draft picks. At the same time, I like that he warns other GMs that he won't take a player just because they are older if they suck!

With his contacts and experience evaluating talent, I'm also confident that Hughes will have some clairvoyance as to the real potential of prospects that are being dangled in trade scenarios.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
A couple quotes from the Athletic article today

1. Finally, Hughes admitted that in the interest of creating space, you shouldn’t be surprised to see a one-sided trade or two. “I wouldn’t rule out (…) a trade that doesn’t involve significant consideration coming back to us,” he said. “In other words, they’re taking a player and a contract, and we’re getting some flexibility with it.”

1. As far as the draft itself, Hughes already knows the Canadiens will be walking up on stage very early at the Bell Centre, and he is hoping – or even expects – to add another first-round pick by then, probably late in the first round.
  2. Bergevin never believed in spending draft capital to move up in the draft. He tried once in 2013 in the hopes of drafting defenceman Samuel Morin, but watching how his career unfolded might have served as a lesson for Bergevin, making him reluctant to try again over the ensuing years and instead favouring quantity of picks over quality in order to have more darts to throw at the board. Hughes does not see it the same way. “If it was just darts on board, you wouldn’t spend a heck of a lot of money on a scouting staff. And I think we should spend more,” he said. “There’s going to be an element of uncertainty to the draft, no question about it. But in (the player representation) business, it’s been a hell of a lot more uncertain. We’ve recruited kids at 14-15 years of age, and we’ve never had the benefit of interviewing them and deciding whether we want to represent them…Whereas here, they go through psychological testing, they got all kinds of things that go on all these draft eligible players. “So, no, I believe in being able to identify and target and pick the right players.”

My favourite quote, which I hope ends some of the dumb arguments on here, was in reference to UFAs and taxes:

We can get creative in terms of how we structure deals. I did that my whole career - tax planning and all kinds of other things to minimize those issues - they're available in a lot of different ways.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
There are arguments for trading down in later rounds, and/or if you don't see anyone that you want who isn't likely to be around for your next pick, but MB really went nuts on the trading down thing. He traded up a couple of times, for Tinordi and Lernout, so maybe it's just as well he didn't do it more often.

I like the way Hughes is going. It won't necessarily be a smooth ride, but as long as he improves the processes the team will get better.

Bergevin wasn't here when Tinordi got picked.

I like what Hughes says about identifying the right players and trading up for them if you need to. That's how you get stars...especially if your scouting staff is strong.

Reactions: dcyhabs and jaffy27

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Price will be a Cap burden regardless of what happens.

If he's bought out, he's a 9M+ Cap figure anyhow because ost of his salary was in bonuses.

If the Habs hold back half his salary to help move him (to help other teams consider the risk of taking on Price for four years given his health status), the G position, at he absolute minimum, with Allen and Primeau as the G tandem next season, will come in at just a little over 9M anyhow. In all likelihood, they would add another veteran, short term, like a Khubodin at 3.75M and the G position would ring in at roughly 11.75M, or a little more.

If Price stays, along with Allen, the G position keeps costing 13.375M. If it's with Primeau, it costs 11.4M short term until Primeau's contract gets renegotiated as a genuine NHLer.

It's four years if Price stays and I still think it's good timing for the team's return to respectability.

Might as well keep price, IMHO, over that time frame if he is able to play at a competitive level. If he can't, he'll end up on the LTIR anyhow and the question of what to do with Price would become moot.

If he stays, though, he'll, as you say, help the team win a few more games and finish higher in the standings, which, unlike you, I think might be more important than bottoming out again in a more engraved loosing culture.

Even if Montreal doesn't make the playoffs, they'll be in more games (that they end up losing) than otherwise, IMO, and that can only be good for developing youngsters.

The D will be extremely young over the next couple of years, I believe, with the arrival of Harris next season, followed by that of Guhle the following season, the that of Mailloux, most likely. Having Price who can play the puck competently outside of his net, act ice the 3rd defender and take pressure away from younger Ds can only be beneficial for their confidence and hip them progress by learning from mistakes out on the ice without dwelling on the consequences.

For years, Price made the D look better than it actually was, by helping them to simplify their game and helping to quell the opposent's forechecking game.

That can be an integral part of a rebuild.

Playing failure in the standings ahead of development for the youngsters is short-sighted and uniformed, IMHO. But, maybe that's just me.
It all depends on what the long term plan is which I believe is a rebuild. I disagree that they're going to rebound as quickly as you think. With the exception of Harris (maybe), I don't think any young D should be stepping in next year. Even Guhle should get time in Laval. There's no one stepping in at the forward position who's going to make a difference (Ylonen being the only guy who's a possibility). Then there's Caulfield. Jury is still out on him. I personally think he's just too small. Primeau, I'm not sold on either.
This team is going know where without at least a number 1 player in every position, which they currently do not have. You don't just aquire these types of players. They need high picks to draft and develop.
This situation will not be fixed quickly. Drafting middle of the pack keeps them in pretty much the same situation they've been in. Sure, we can hope scouting and development will be better, but you're probably not drafting a franchise player at the 15th pick. This team lack star power and definitely super star power. They haven't had a first overall pick in over 40 years. If it wasn't for Roy, we'd be at 22 cups instead of 24 right now. Next year is the best shot they've had at a generational talent in decades.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

This should put the taxation issue to rest. From his own mouth, they can find ways to structure deals in order to limit taxes.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This should put the taxation issue to rest. From his own mouth, they can find ways to structure deals in order to limit taxes.
The taxes thing always seem to follow on the list of excuses.....trades are hard, it's not there etc.....glad we have moved on with some intelligence steering the ship.
Guys who know how to make it happen, will it be easy? Of course not.

Reactions: Runner77

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The taxes thing always seem to follow on the list of excuses.....trades are hard, it's not there etc.....glad we have moved on with some intelligence steering the ship.

We have moved into 21st century management at elite level, from average cave or fox hole levels

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Implementing an exciting brand of hockey will help.

If I'm an offensive player looking for a 2-3 year contract, why would I ever choose Montreal since my offensive numbers are gonna die on the vine and I'll lose millions on my next contract?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Implementing an exciting brand of hockey will help.

If I'm an offensive player looking for a 2-3 year contract, why would I ever choose Montreal since my offensive numbers are gonna die on the vine and I'll lose millions on my next contract?
The head coach can help too, Lecavalier said that he choose Philly before Montreal because he wanted to play for Laviolette and not Therrien (what I understand)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad