GDT: Montreal Canadiens @ Detroit Red Wings - 7:30 EST - FSD

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
So one game in six improved his save percentage.
Or he'd be at what? .810?

What does his save percentage have to do with it? Especially on this team?

Saying he hadn't played well lately makes it sound like his game has been off. He was fantastic against NY. I didn't see the game tonight but it's not like he's gone off some cliff like Mrazek has in the past.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
What does his save percentage have to do with it? Especially on this team?

Saying he hadn't played well lately makes it sound like his game has been off. He was fantastic against NY. I didn't see the game tonight but it's not like he's gone off some cliff like Mrazek has in the past.

It's exactly like he's gone off a cliff. The same way Jimmy has in the past.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
With that loss Detroit went from 3rd in the Atlantic to 4 spots out of a wildcard.

Montreal and Boston are the two teams Blashill will be trying to catch.
If Ottawa or Florida ever get going, Detroit is done.

Florida is the mystery to me.

JiminyCricket

Dec 4, 2015
Kalamazoo, Michigan
I'd say even Ken Holland is pretty close firing Blashill. Call me crazy, but I honestly believe it. (I know, I know)

We know the team is capable of winning. No, they're not a bunch of rock stars, but this team could definitely scratch and claw its way into the playoffs. Just not with the current team agenda. Not with whatever the hell Blashill is chalking up every night. What a sad story this season is becoming...

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
if gallant can get VGK to win, there is definitely untapped potential here. That being said I want blash to stick around and lead the tank for dahlin. I'm afraid a new coach will keep him out of reach. or any top 5 pick to be honest.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'd say even Ken Holland is pretty close firing Blashill. Call me crazy, but I honestly believe it. (I know, I know)

We know the team is capable of winning. No, they're not a bunch of rock stars, but this team could definitely scratch and claw its way into the playoffs. Just not with the current team agenda. Not with whatever the hell Blashill is chalking up every night. What a sad story this season is becoming...

Agreed.
But I don't think this team needs to be winning.
They need to be giving youngsters experience.
And if they can't win that way, then they need to lose and get the kind of youngsters who can eventually turn it around.

Reactions: jkutswings

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

It is capable when all the players are playing at their best to be the 16th best. Don't take ridding Howard into the ground to be the same as winning. Without Howard playing like his life depended on it for the first bit of the season this team wouldn't even be close right now. This team has huge problems up front and on the back end that no amount of coaching can fix.

Reactions: jkutswings

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Jimmy is like Manny Legace (like even stat wise at this point). Technically a good goalie, had all the tools, but the second you get in his head he is worse than useless.

A few years ago he was playing awesome. Then the shootout thing happened. He was still playing great, but the shootout thing snowballed and got bigger and bigger.
And then suddenly his regulation play started suffering. And he lost his job.

Jimmy seemed pretty unflappable early this year.
He started great then had a rough stretch. but he bounced back nicely and looked cool and confident.

But it's unraveling now. At some point, this team, this defense, these turnovers, this system -- it eats a goalie alive.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
if gallant can get VGK to win, there is definitely untapped potential here. That being said I want blash to stick around and lead the tank for dahlin. I'm afraid a new coach will keep him out of reach. or any top 5 pick to be honest.
But when I said I wanted him I got ripped apart on how bad of a coach he is lol. Trashill is was and always be Kenny's scapegoat! " It was not the shit job I have done with the team it was the coach". I'm a good GM I did not over stay in my job!!! Till they are both gone this team will go no where.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
The Wings have good 1st periods because they're defensively focused, skate well, and try like world beaters. I think it catches teams off guard but we see the adjustments and the reply. If an opponent can match Detroit's complete level then natural talent takes control. Game over. Talent>work ethic.
An excellent 1st period but the Canadians realized they had to start skating and the game tilted in their favor.

Save me a spot on the "Can Blash" wagon. When we see Glendening on the 1st line the end must be near. I still hate his incessant line changes. 11 forwards is like a sick, twisted fantasy for Blashill. He said he would work on it after his 1st season and promised even 4 weeks he would leave the lines alone. Unfortunately for us he's a maniac that can't control himself. His lines have no identity or purpose, his juggling makes no sense.

Reactions: golffuul

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Larkin is so damn good. But he needs to bury his chances. Mickey is right, kid could have 30+ points with the chances he’s had.

D needs an infusion of youth and skill. Hicketts or Hronek would be very welcome. Up front I think we’re doing pretty well, it’s just the D that’s sleepwalking most nights.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Are you seriously trying to blame the goalie for the loss tonight?

A goalie putting up a sub .800 sv% isn't going to win a lot of games. He wasn't the only problem, but Howard has been less than stellar the last half dozen games he's started. So no I am not blaming him, but he's also not blameless.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
The Wings have good 1st periods because they're defensively focused, skate well, and try like world beaters. I think it catches teams off guard but we see the adjustments and the reply. If an opponent can match Detroit's complete level then natural talent takes control. Game over. Talent>work ethic.
An excellent 1st period but the Canadians realized they had to start skating and the game tilted in their favor.

Save me a spot on the "Can Blash" wagon. When we see Glendening on the 1st line the end must be near. I still hate his incessant line changes. 11 forwards is like a sick, twisted fantasy for Blashill. He said he would work on it after his 1st season and promised even 4 weeks he would leave the lines alone. Unfortunately for us he's a maniac that can't control himself. His lines have no identity or purpose, his juggling makes no sense.

Yeah, Blash doesn't help himself.

Earlier in the season it seemed like his tactics and approach were working, and as you say, he preached stability. 2 bad games and the line blender is back in force, with little rhyme or reason. He'll be gone after this year barring a surprise up-swing, but with him helping the stealth tank, and it maybe being KH's final season, it doesn't make a lot of sense to can him now. What quality coach would come here now with our roster issues, lack of top end prospects bar the ones in the team and the likelihood of a new GM, who may want their own people, arriving in the summer. As I said elsewhere, its going to be a frustrating season, but we've just got to ride it out and see where the chips fall (likely outside the playoffs and trading away Green and a goalie at least by the deadline).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Larkin is so damn good. But he needs to bury his chances. Mickey is right, kid could have 30+ points with the chances he’s had.

D needs an infusion of youth and skill. Hicketts or Hronek would be very welcome. Up front I think we’re doing pretty well, it’s just the D that’s sleepwalking most nights.

I'm not sure why we're not moving on from Jensen/XO. If we trusted them to be anything more than bottom pairing quality D, I don't think Holland signs Daley. They aren't played enough to bump their trade value. Deal one or both for whatever.

This team is hard to watch.

Yep. On the one hand, it's nice that Blashill seems to be pushing more aggressive play this year. But either he hasn't taught them to do what needs to be done to do it well with the personnel he has, or the guys we have just can't do it. In the end, it might just be on Blashill's inability to get this team to play consistently. It's either way up or way down, and the down periods are just too long.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
We are running a goaltender into the ground who isn't even playing all that well, and it is especially strange since the team shouldn't be looking at him as the long-term option in that position.

Mrazek needs to get starts or he needs to be dealt. No point wasting this guy here if we are just going to use him as a backup to a veteran who isn't even that great.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad