Montreal Canadiens are the most successful Canadian franchise in the last 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Well 2 don’t count :sarcasm: 2020 they were in the expanded bubble playoffs 24th ranked team, or around there

2021, they were 18th, probably not a playoff team in a normal year. Habs fans don’t like it when that gets mentioned. But it’s the truth.
Even worse they won 3 rounds in one of those seasons and 1 in the other despite being like you pointed out, they were a lottery team both years

The answer is like it's been since 2011 the Vancouver Canucks and that's really sad for the rest Canada considering we are playing our first home series since 1015 lol🤣

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
To you from mediocre hands we throw.....

That banner is over Jean Beliveau it looks like, that man has never been mediocre. IIRC he won the Conn Smythe the year he retired.

Even worse they won 3 rounds in one of those seasons and 1 in the other despite being like you pointed out, they were a lottery team both years

The answer is like it's been since 2011 the Vancouver Canucks and that's really sad for the rest Canada considering we are playing our first home series since 1015 lol🤣

VAN is playing its first home series since the Middle Ages? Sounds about right.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets started in 2011, did a major restructuring shortly after. haha

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If you include the OG Jets it doesn't get better.

The only series the OG Jets won in the NHL was against the Flames in 1987.
Jets 1.0 isn’t the question in the post, they played vs some damn elite Oilers and Flames teams so no shocker there.

The post was from 2005 till now, very flawed date range, especially if one doesn’t use % bc the Jets 2.0 didn’t even exist till 2011. The team in 2011 was very meh with almost zero prospects so the team did a big restructuring shortly after. OP should of used % basis or at least from 2011 to present

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
2021, they were 18th, probably not a playoff team in a normal year. Habs fans don’t like it when that gets mentioned. But it’s the truth.

Maybe, but then we sent your team home in one of the greatest team meltdown ever

Bonus point: They made Torontonians became cucks

image.jpeg

After that the Habs basically steam rolled everyone but Tampa Bay, who kicked our ass

2021 version of the Habs was a character team with grit; two things Toronto never was in the past 20 years, and you're yet again about to get expelled from the playoffs in the first round

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Debatable.
Maybe, but then we sent your team home in one of the greatest team meltdown ever

Bonus point: They made Torontonians became cucks

image.jpeg

After that the Habs basically steam rolled everyone but Tampa Bay, who kicked our ass

2021 version of the Habs was a character team with grit; two things Toronto never was in the past 20 years, and you're yet again about to get expelled from the playoffs in the first round

... crazy that the federal government (who owns the CN Tower) and who is lead by a Habs fan, lit that tower up in Habs colors.

Reactions: HabsQC

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
Jets 1.0 isn’t the question in the post, they played vs some damn elite Oilers and Flames teams so no shocker there.

The post was from 2005 till now, very flawed date range, especially if one doesn’t use % bc the Jets 2.0 didn’t even exist till 2011. The team in 2011 was very meh with almost zero prospects so the team did a big restructuring shortly after. OP should of used % basis or at least from 2011 to present
Then take the Jets from 2005, when they were in Atlanta. When they moved to Winnipeg they brought the team over from Atlanta, so they were technically the same team.

They had one appearance in 2006-07 and got swept. So I guess the Winnipeg Jets are 3 Playoff wins, in 7 Appearances, which puts them in the exact same spot they already are.

Reactions: DaveG

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
Well 2 don’t count :sarcasm: 2020 they were in the expanded bubble playoffs 24th ranked team, or around there

2021, they were 18th, probably not a playoff team in a normal year. Habs fans don’t like it when that gets mentioned. But it’s the truth

Last edited:

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Whenever I see stats like this I always wonder about the cutoff. Why 2005? So the stat maker can get the outcome he wants. If you include any years before, or cut it off to any years after, the stat might be different. It's effectively meaningless.
I don’t think it really matters how you slice up the years, Montreal will always be Canada’s top team. The only years your team sniffs at being the top team is in the 1940s and even then it still has a few Canadiens Cup wins sprinkled in and certainly the 1950s were dominated by the Habs.

See, I didn’t find the meme to be a boast or evidence of Montreal being great, I took as visual evidence of the sorry state of Canadian hockey teams.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They had mostly good years starting around 2013 when they won the division up until about 2017. I'm not sure why they didn't take a more aggressive approach to land another good center back then because that would have vaulted them into something greater.

Aside from that, there was that 08 season where they led the conference, and a couple Cinderella runs during covid and 2010 when they knocked out two of the biggest cup contenders in the east.

So it's not all that surprising. The Alberta teams haven't done much in that span other than oilers in some very recent times, the Canucks haven't done much either aside from a 5 year run of their own, and the leafs still can't seem to get off the start line.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea this bar is pretty low unfortunately, even if you want to zoom all the way out.

The Jets have 2 separate franchises spanning 4 (with a 5th on the way) teams that probably only have the Blue Jackets keeping them all from the top of the "futility" list. Canucks only have a couple Finals losses to their name. Leafs haven't pissed a drop since the 60s. Sens have a SCF loss, Flames and Oilers the same since their 80s/90s days.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The struggle s real for Canadian franchises............................bottom line is Cups, are what's important.
No Canadian franchise has won a Cup since 93.....31 years.

LOL is the Montreal's "handshake line respect"?
Wasn't that the Bruins crap talking??
The thread was not started by a habs fan by the way.

LOL is the Montreal's "handshake line respect"?
Wasn't that the Bruins crap talking??
The thread was not started by a habs fan by the way.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't want to sound like a douchebag (which, to be fair, I am) by bringing my team into this, but this means Tampa won more playoff series in a row in 2020-2022 than any Canadian team has won in total since 2005.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

What's crazy about this is that from a Habs fan pov, the past 20 years have been dismal...

The smurf brigade to the Gauthier gaffes to the list decade under bargainbin...

And yet, a considerably better decade than every other Canadian franchise... Ouch, I feel bad for those other fan bases.

going to suck even more for them over the next decade, as the Habs turn themselves into a perennial contender over the next few years :naughty:

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Watching the Habs in those 20 years was really painful, depressing and made me question my love for the game... I can't imagine what the ROC had to go through, i don't like you guys and i hope you suffer more, but damn...

Sep 18, 2009
Congratulations on this accomplishment I am sure it means a lot to the Habs supporters they are very proud

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Honestly it's not surprising. The Habs were mostly a playoff team that could do some damage and had a few good runs throughout the period. Others have had long basement stints it feels like and/or fewer deep runs. Not that the bar is very high though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad