Montreal Canadiens are the most successful Canadian franchise in the last 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
What a run

7cYrptY.png
This ain't Texas Nashville.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
If you added all 3 California teams to this list I think they'd take the top 3 spots. Guess high taxes isn't the issue with Canadian teams.

Reactions: barbu

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
It's 2024, 2005 was not 20 years ago.

Don't think it would change anything anyways. The Habs also made the playoffs in 2004 and won a round.

I'm not surprised by these numbers. The Canadiens were a pretty consistent playoff team for about 15 years from 2002 to 2017 (with a couple of runs after that too) and have generally been a pretty tough out in the playoffs, punching above their weight. And the rest of Canada has really really stunk for long periods of time.

Reactions: DaveG

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If you added all 3 California teams to this list I think they'd take the top 3 spots. Guess high taxes isn't the issue with Canadian teams.
It isn't the issue, but it's a big one.

The other big part is hiring dumbasses and then keeping them around like Bergevin, or Dorion, or terrible coaches like Smith and Keefe, or thinking a GM who's dumb as f*** like Holland is actually good.

Or Winnipeg just coming back like 13 years ago.

Sykur

Apr 11, 2011
Whenever I see stats like this I always wonder about the cutoff. Why 2005? So the stat maker can get the outcome he wants. If you include any years before, or cut it off to any years after, the stat might be different. It's effectively meaningless.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Whenever I see stats like this I always wonder about the cutoff. Why 2005? So the stat maker can get the outcome he wants. If you include any years before, or cut it off to any years after, the stat might be different. It's effectively meaningless.

I think it's because of the cap era. I'm also not sure the stat changes if you start with 2000 either but I could be wrong.

Reactions: DaveG

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Well 2 don’t count :sarcasm: 2020 they were in the expanded bubble playoffs 24th ranked team, or around there

2021, they were 18th, probably not a playoff team in a normal year. Habs fans don’t like it when that gets mentioned. But it’s the truth.
And that would still leave them with 9 appearances...

Guess who has more: Nobody...

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
And that would still leave them with 9 appearances...

Guess who has more: Nobody...

It's also stupid because the Canadiens just played the hand that they were dealt. They didn't get any special rule that no one else got and they still have to beat Pittsburgh in 2020 and make the playoffs over the same season everyone else played in 2021.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I guess you missed the part about "since the cap"...

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
2021, they were 18th, probably not a playoff team in a normal year. Habs fans don’t like it when that gets mentioned. But it’s the truth.

I'm not a Canadiens fan; however, this isn't a great argument.

Teams in 2021 played an intra-divisional schedule. You can't really compare between divisions (and so "18th in the league" doesn't mean much).

So it's not really "the truth" regardless of whether you want to offer the "HABS FANS HATE THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK" crap. Can you make the argument? I guess. But there are valid counterpoints (you could argue that because the "worst" team in the North had the most points among worst teams that no North team could beat up on the worst team to accumulate points).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad