Montreal Canadiens 2018 Preseason III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I think we're going to see Plekanec a healthy scratch quite often this year if i'm to read between the lines of what Bergevin said last night.

Right now, the teams top 3 C's are

Danault
Kotkaniemi
Domi

This was pretty much confirmed by Bergevin last night

Which means Plekanec & Peca will fight it out for the 4th line spot based on matchups.

In this scenario, I have ZERO issues with Plekanec on the team.

We always said, it was about USAGE lol

Reactions: 417

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Hudon have been pretty solid in the preseason, why would you scratch him.

I disagree with this decision.....

Who do you want to scratch?

Do some of you realize this team is pretty deep if we're talking about scratching a guy that got 30 points in his rookie year?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Who do you want to scratch?

Do some of you realize this team is pretty deep if we're talking about scratching a guy that got 30 points in his rookie year?
The only forward on this team who isn't capable of reaching 30pts :laugh::naughty:

Reactions: HankyZetts

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The only forward on this team who isn't capable of reaching 30pts :laugh::naughty:
Well he actually did last year as I already showed you :thumbu:

No, but seriously this team is deep af at forward position, if the majority of them can perform at their potential we could surprise quite some teams this year...

It will be an exciting season there's no doubt in my mind!

We have 4 2/3 lines let's see if it works... :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Shaw going to AHL doesn't buy us anything, as soon as he comes off IR he's a roster player. He would have to volunteer to go to AHL for conditioning purposes in which case he is still a roster player.

He would need to be waived to get him off the roster.

I didn't think Shaw was that close anyway.

Shaw for 14 days on conditioning in the AHL buys us time. Now if he don't want to go, that is his problem. It's well within the rights of the Habs to exercise this option. Will they? Not sure.

Are you saying he would need to be waived to go to the AHL for conditioning?

And it don't have to be the entire 14 days either. It can be for one game or two and that also buys us time.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
let's hope we don't have to see him 16 mins a game again to see that happen lol

No, but seriously this team is deep af at forward position, if the majority of them can perform at their potential we could surprise quite some teams this year...

I agree that the forward group looks drastically improved on what we had last year, but that's probably because of how bad they were last year.

I still have doubts on this coaching staff's ability to extract the max out of this lineup.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I think we will roll 4 lines and I agree with you. The depth is there and roster competition is there. It's not a far fetched idea that the forward group will improve from last year. Now the Defense and how Price plays are other question marks that remains to be seen how well they can perform.

Fringe wildcard playoff team at best if you ask me. Middle of the pack strategy worries me to be honest.

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Why they necessarily want to use Domi at center?
If Kotkaniemi doesn't last Domi is getting reps at C and he can step into that role without needing a few games to get his C-legs back. If Kotkaniemi can make it through the season, Domi can go back to the wing once that is cemented and Peca or someone else can go to C.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think we will roll 4 lines and I agree with you. The depth is there and roster competition is there. It's not a far fetched idea that the forward group will improve from last year. Now the Defense and how Price plays are other question marks that remains to be seen how well they can perform.

Fringe wildcard playoff team at best if you ask me. Middle of the pack strategy worries me to be honest.
MB actually promotes fringe wildcard expectations...........you make da playoff, and who knows....and Money Mol$on lets him get away with it.
Being a Cup contender no longer matters, just try to get to da playoff......................and fill da building !!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
If Kotkaniemi doesn't last Domi is getting reps at C and he can step into that role without needing a few games to get his C-legs back. If Kotkaniemi can make it through the season, Domi can go back to the wing once that is cemented and Peca or someone else can go to C.
Yeah, I admitted that it was a plausible scenario but Kotka's staying! :naughty:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MB actually promotes fringe wildcard expectations...........you make da playoff, and who knows....and Money Mol$on lets him get away with it.
Being a Cup contender no longer matters, just try to get to da playoff......................and fill da building !!

I liked the question where it was asked like this.... Don't you think you deserve some of the blame for letting Markov and Radulov go and how this affected the teams attitude? I think that was a valid question and he answered it pretty much how I saw those negotiations going down. But he was the one to let Markov go when he had tons of cap space and he also signed Alzner. He was part of last years attitude problem for sure IMO.

After this past off season. I think he did a decent job. I think we gave up the better player between Galchenyuk and Domi but were going to find that out very soon. The rest of the off season was good moves if you ask me.

Our team direction? I rather rest vets as much as we can and let the kids learn on the job while we go through another tank year. I don't care about Price's feelings. He went for the max deal and now he has to live up to those expectations.

I hate middle of the pack strategy. A rebound year where we possibly lose to the Leafs in the 1st round or we just miss the playoffs is not success or progression with me. Building a cup contender requires more than just one top 3 pick. We can easily be a middle of the pack team for several seasons moving forward. The way we jump pass this is to insert a few more Kotkaniemi's into our system

Reactions: BLONG7

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
let's hope we don't have to see him 16 mins a game again to see that happen lol

I agree that the forward group looks drastically improved on what we had last year, but that's probably because of how bad they were last year.

I still have doubts on this coaching staff's ability to extract the max out of this lineup.

Don't you think Ducharme will show Julien how it's done? :laugh:

If Price is lights out we can go even higher IMO.

The team is really underrated IMO due to the last season failure but we'll see.

Go Habs Go!

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Price is lights out we can go even higher IMO.

The team is really underrated IMO due to the last season failure but we'll see.

Go Habs Go!

I think we are underestimated based on last year as well. But I just don't see us going on a deep playoff run and I rather another tank year. I expect rebound but I have a hard time pinning down how much.

I think Price will be better but how much can he do with the team D? This team is going to focus on speed and transition offense. The goal is to move the puck as fast as we can so the other team don't have time to get their system in place. I see a bit more of an exciting team to watch but I also see mistakes that expose Price

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think we are underestimated based on last year as well. But I just don't see us going on a deep playoff run and I rather another tank year. I expect rebound but I have a hard time pinning down how much.

I think Price will be better but how much can he do with the team D? This team is going to focus on speed and transition offense. The goal is to move the puck as fast as we can so the other team don't have time to get their system in place. I see a bit more of an exciting team to watch but I also see mistakes that expose Price
Mistakes shouldn't expose Price! He should actually compensate for those mistakes at the salary he's making!

He should steal ~ 15 games a year for god sake, what's the point in paying him so much if he needs an elite D squad in front of him to be able to perform? Let's stop the nonsense...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mistakes shouldn't expose Price! He should actually compensate for those mistakes at the salary he's making!

He should steal ~ 15 games a year for god sake, what's the point in paying him so much if he needs an elite D squad in front of him to be able to perform? Let's stop the nonsense...

We think different on this one. I think this is the mistake that got us into the monster contract. Expecting Price to carry us is not a good recipe for success. Goalies need to have good team D in front of them and you can steel a game here and there but expecting it all the time will set us up to fail

I respect your positive outlook though! I will never jump on any Habs fan who takes the positive approach. If anybody can carry us, it's Price! However, the point of paying him was we had to or we lose him for nothing

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What is the rush to put back Shaw in the line up, a guy who had zero training camp game action ?
Couldn't agree more, what a brutal message to the rest of the team.................it's not like Shaw is Ovie or Crosby here, he's a bum who has character and attitude, with a contract that is bloated because our GM is a clown........................and for that matter why should Shawzie get in??

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

We don't need an elite Dcorps.............just a decent D like every other goalie................it's up front we fail, we can't score, and so I always wonder why this is on Price? The guy rarely gets a lead, why? The forwards are a fail on our team, that's why.

So, why can't our offense steal 15 games a year? Because we only have 1 top 6 player? It's a double edged sword. Price has to be better than last year, but for 5 years he was our only star..........it's gotta get heavy at times...MB's plan to build around a goalie has not worked...MB's plan to trade all of our skill guys has not worked. But it's Price's fault?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Shaw for 14 days on conditioning in the AHL buys us time. Now if he don't want to go, that is his problem. It's well within the rights of the Habs to exercise this option. Will they? Not sure.

Are you saying he would need to be waived to go to the AHL for conditioning?

And it don't have to be the entire 14 days either. It can be for one game or two and that also buys us time.

Habs can only send him down through waivers. Players on one-way contracts sent to AHL on conditioning stints agree to it and are still NHL roster players while in the AHL, so it doesn't help our roster situation.

Shaw hasn't played in 8-9 months. He should go on a conditioning assignment even for 3-5 games, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs can only send him down through waivers. Players on one-way contracts sent to AHL on conditioning stints agree to it and are still NHL roster players while in the AHL, so it doesn't help our roster situation.

Shaw hasn't played in 8-9 months. He should go on a conditioning assignment even for 3-5 games, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

I was under the understanding that if it was for conditioning, they don't have to clear waivers? Is this not true?

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Am i right saying there's still 27 people counting injuries with the team ?

If everyone was healthy who would be your 4 cuts

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Claude wouldn't commit to Shaw starting against the Leafs and to be honest, I'd be really surprised to see it happen. I can see him sitting until at least the home opener so he can get a couple of practices in with the team/get some flow and timing back.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Am i right saying there's still 27 people counting injuries with the team ?

If everyone was healthy who would be your 4 cuts

Hopefully we trade Shaw before that happen. Probably Scherbak will get traded though. Deslauriers might be a victim of our depth which is unfortunate for him since he proved himself to be useful in that style of game he plays, might not get claim though. On D I don't mind putting any of Ouellet, Benn, Schlemko and even Alzner on waivers. Juulsen can be sent down if his play isn't impressive as well. Maybe you go 15F/6D to avoid losing valuable players. With Laval you can make quick call up, worse case scenario Deslauriers can be use on D for a game (played D before).

I would be disappointed if we lose Scherbak or DLR on waivers.

Not having Plekanec would simplify things, but you can't disrespect him and send him on waivers, I don't think that is realistic, considering the years he played for this franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: yianik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad