News Article: Montreal Canadiens’ automated Twitter campaign backfires

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
It's no secret that there's a disproportionate amount of people such as I described on these networks. Sifting through all the crap just to find one or two well-adjusted intelligent people is too much and frankly, I don't find anybody interesting enough to "follow" them.

Same as with YouTube comments. 99.9% of it utter garbage and just represents mostly how terrible people are. That's why I block them. No point in being exposed to that for the chance of seeing one comment a month that might be helpful or insightful.

Apart from the trade deadline, I don't have any need for Twitter. And when that period of time rolls around, I just navigate to one specific feed that reports things quickly and accurately and don't even need a subscription to see its contents. So really, it's clearly not for me. I literally have no use for it. There are zero benefits to subscribing to services like that for me.

The thing with Twitter though is it's like your own customized news feed. I don't follow joe shmo or Kanye to hear what they say, I follow all the major sports sites and talking heads that I like, you get up to the minute news tailored to your own preferences. Many people seem to think you have to tweet to use twitter, I just use it as a one way street for the most part to follow topics I'm interested in.

And the Habs twitter feed has been bonkers for a while, not surprised this happened.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Person already got fired.

Reporter: "Is the social media guy not being fired no matter what?"

Bergevin: "No matter what, It's on me. Aye, It's on me!"

I heard the main habs' PR twitter guy has been out of town for a little while, he was masking just how bad the rest of them were.

Don't fire the guy, you have to surround him with smarter employees and cater to his shortcomings. Even if he can't handle the responsibilities, give him more of them! And forget about the young stud that can do a better job yet is limited to only bringing coffee.

I'll be here all week.

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
Message boards notwithstanding, I don't understand the appeal of social media. It's basically attention-seeking self-indulged moronic jerks bathing in narcissism.

It's hilarious the amount of drama that occurs there. Guess some people's lives are too damn boring ; they need to manufacture drama to make it more interesting.

Partly agreed. But you could say that about anything. You decide who you follow, who you don't, who you block, etc.

Not everybody spends his time on twitter posting selfies or thinking they're the real deal. And it's not so hard to find and interact with decent people.

Not trying to change your mind, but you'll find fake and narcissistic people everywhere. Except on twitter you can easily ignore them or shut them up ;)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Taking Twitter seriously is like hanging on every word Don Cherry says. That site is nothing but drama. I get enough of that around here...

I refuse to comment on this any further.

quentin-tarantino-spit-take.gif

u told me u were 18 :shakehead

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Partly agreed. But you could say that about anything. You decide who you follow, who you don't, who you block, etc.

Not everybody spends his time on twitter posting selfies or thinking they're the real deal. And it's not so hard to find and interact with decent people.

Not trying to change your mind, but you'll find fake and narcissistic people everywhere. Except on twitter you can easily ignore them or shut them up ;)
Take this msg board, for instance.

Sure, there are tons of idiots and immature dolts but at least, it's regulated. So people can't post their racist violent thoughts all over the place, threaten people's lives over trivial matters, or use it as a soapbox for their vitriol and rantings about politics, religion, and other nonsense.

Nothing is regulated on FB or Twitter. Your handle can have racial slurs in it, you can post anything you want no matter how insane, violent, or inappropriate, etc. Sure, there are ways of reporting certain posts but it's akin to YouTube comments, in my view. It's the bottom of the barrel. The absolute online cesspool of human garbage.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I don't do Reddit and gladly.
Reddit is fine if you know where to go. I get A LOT of cool information there. It also has some of the worst, most immature people on the Internet, too. Just have to avoid them.

Taking Twitter seriously is like hanging on every word Don Cherry says. That site is nothing but drama. I get enough of that around here...

quentin-tarantino-spit-take.gif

u told me u were 18 :shakehead

I am whatever you say I am, if I wasn't then why would I say I am?

Moen is Gone

@MoeninGlory
Feb 13, 2007
Grenoble
twitter.com
Take this msg board, for instance.

Sure, there are tons of idiots and immature dolts but at least, it's regulated. So people can't post their racist violent thoughts all over the place, threaten people's lives over trivial matters, or use it as a soapbox for their vitriol and rantings about politics, religion, and other nonsense.

Nothing is regulated on FB or Twitter. Your handle can have racial slurs in it, you can post anything you want no matter how insane, violent, or inappropriate, etc. Sure, there are ways of reporting certain posts but it's akin to YouTube comments, in my view. It's the bottom of the barrel. The absolute online cesspool of human garbage.

Of course there are idiots. But if this board had a special unregulated part where people could post BS (not pointing to any team board), you'd still be free to avoid that section.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad