News Article: Montreal Canadiens’ automated Twitter campaign backfires

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
On Tuesday night, the Montreal Canadiens’ official Twitter account said it would “celebrate one million Twitter followers with a few surprises for you!â€

The Habs certainly provided that for their one million Twitter followers, but not in the way they had hoped.

The team celebrated the milestone by sending out automated messages to Twitter followers who contacted them. Several of the messages featured custom avatar jerseys emblazoned with the names of Twitter users. Some users with offensive Twitter handles were then added to the jersey avatar and sent out on the team’s official account.

Many of the usernames featured racial slurs, some of which were directed at Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban.

A similar social media campaign backfired on the NFL’s New England Patriots back in 2014. The team’s official account sent out an automated message that included an avatar with a Twitter handle containing a racial slur.

The team later issued an apology.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2536730/montreal-canadiens-automated-twitter-campaign-backfires/

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I don't understand twitter. Never did and never will.

And I'm not ranting about social media or technology at large. I mean, I do have a toaster with a timer. At first I thought it was blasphemy, right? To let a machine decide for how long should my bread toast? That's something I can do on my own. It's part of what I am. Planing and adapting on the fly. Skills that I don't want to give away to a machine.

It was hard, but I finally accepted that the toaster was doing more good than harm and saving me some time...

But twitter? Nope. Sorry, but I just don't get it. :laugh:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The slurs weren't directed at Subban. People were taking advantage of the automatic tweets and made stupid names. The exact same thing happened to the New England Patriots not too long ago. Just because Subban is black, it doesn't mean the tweets were directed at him.

That said, I'm 14 and this was funny.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
It perfectly represents the Habs season.

Everything that could have gone wrong has!

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
49620208.jpg

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
The slurs weren't directed at Subban. People were taking advantage of the automatic tweets and made stupid names. The exact same thing happened to the New England Patriots not too long ago. Just because Subban is black, it doesn't mean the tweets were directed at him.

You joined the boards when you were two years old?

And the slurs were 100% directed at Subban. One of the users had Subban and the N-word in it.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Wish it really was the act of an angry employee. Would've been much funnier.

void

Jan 5, 2006
What I don't understand is why it lasted so long (2+ hours). Was no one monitoring it?

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
What I don't understand is why it lasted so long (2+ hours). Was no one monitoring it?

They probably didn't expect the millionth follower to come last night so nobody was on the job.

Still bad, I'm sure the social media manager has friends that saw it.

Or should I say ex social media manager.

Habs178

Sep 22, 2007
Ontario

Well when you see names that said N****RSUBBAN....safe to say that's directed at him.

Deadspin has an article that shows a few of the tweets. People are ****ed in the head, and using social media to spew racial comments, is not funny. But maybe I feel that way because I'm 37.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Really don't understand how you could be this dumb about automated tweets, especially after the exact same thing happened to the Patriots and the Leafs. Someone should definitely be fired for it.

As far as things "directed" at Subban, trolls on the internet just want to be as shocking and offensive as possible and that's one of the quickest routes.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
They probably didn't expect the millionth follower to come last night so nobody was on the job.

Still bad, I'm sure the social media manager has friends that saw it.

Or should I say ex social media manager.

not so sure. the guy probably just had his contract extended last month for coming with the great idea of celebrating millionth follower. :sarcasm:

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
You joined the boards when you were two years old?

And the slurs were 100% directed at Subban. One of the users had Subban and the N-word in it.

Yeah, but racism at any level shouldn't really be considered funny. It's not like these guys told a corny joke, they're being racist just to be racist.

quoted the wrong person, my bad

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Leafs fan coming in peace. Saw the story and needed somewhere to comment.

These kinds of campaigns always make me laugh, because there is no restriction on Twitter handles. We've also seen 'automated twitter' type things backfire else where...remember the TSN twitter feed on TradeCentre last year?

It's happened to the Patriots before I'm sure it will happen again until people realize that ...hey maybe we shouldn't automate twitter!

Now my understanding was with it being automated it was random what people received, so got picture some got videos. While the twitter handles are offensive and I would not condone this action at all, I find it highly ironic that the guy with the 'white power' twitter handle received a message from PK Subban.

It's also funny to see any organization 'thank' someone with a twitter handle that bashes said organization.

Also I bet you there are some juvenile morons out there that made up handles like these just to enter the contest and get these reactions.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
It wasn't just racist twitter handles. I managed to take a few screenshots last night... I thought it was funny, and that someone screwed up.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I don't understand twitter. Never did and never will.

And I'm not ranting about social media or technology at large. I mean, I do have a toaster with a timer. At first I thought it was blasphemy, right? To let a machine decide for how long should my bread toast? That's something I can do on my own. It's part of what I am. Planing and adapting on the fly. Skills that I don't want to give away to a machine.

It was hard, but I finally accepted that the toaster was doing more good than harm and saving me some time...

But twitter? Nope. Sorry, but I just don't get it. :laugh:
Message boards notwithstanding, I don't understand the appeal of social media. It's basically attention-seeking self-indulged moronic jerks bathing in narcissism.

It's hilarious the amount of drama that occurs there. Guess some people's lives are too damn boring ; they need to manufacture drama to make it more interesting.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Message boards notwithstanding, I don't understand the appeal of social media. It's basically attention-seeking self-indulged moronic jerks bathing in narcissism.

It's hilarious the amount of drama that occurs there. Guess some people's lives are too damn boring ; they need to manufacture drama to make it more interesting.

It's also (thinking solely of Twitter here) probably the best way on the planet to get up-to-the minute news, sports or otherwise.

Never understood comments like yours. Twitter, Facebook, etc is what you make it. If you add attention-seeking self-indulged moronic jerks who like to bathe in narcissism to your feed or your friends list, of course that's what you're going to see. But you know, it's 2016. There are a lot more people on Twitter now than just celebrities and 16 year old girls.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
It's also (thinking solely of Twitter here) probably the best way on the planet to get up-to-the minute news, sports or otherwise.

Never understood comments like yours. Twitter, Facebook, etc is what you make it. If you add attention-seeking self-indulged moronic jerks who like to bathe in narcissism to your feed or your friends list, of course that's what you're going to see. But you know, it's 2016. There are a lot more people on Twitter now than just celebrities and 16 year old girls.
It's no secret that there's a disproportionate amount of people such as I described on these networks. Sifting through all the crap just to find one or two well-adjusted intelligent people is too much and frankly, I don't find anybody interesting enough to "follow" them.

Same as with YouTube comments. 99.9% of it utter garbage and just represents mostly how terrible people are. That's why I block them. No point in being exposed to that for the chance of seeing one comment a month that might be helpful or insightful.

Apart from the trade deadline, I don't have any need for Twitter. And when that period of time rolls around, I just navigate to one specific feed that reports things quickly and accurately and don't even need a subscription to see its contents. So really, it's clearly not for me. I literally have no use for it. There are zero benefits to subscribing to services like that for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad