Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.54M) - He's Signed It

Status
Not open for further replies.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They can't until Carolina chooses to match or not. If they had multiple targets in mind they had to prioritize by the likelihood of the move working.
Yes and they choose Aho as priority. And Carolina will probably wait the full week to match to handcuff Montreal but the good thing with RFAs I like UFAs in this case is that their negotiations tend to drag and there’s a good chance that those options will still be available in a week. The TSN guys were saying they won’t be surprised to see most of the top end RFAs not be resolved until even after labour day in September.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
And also, if Canes do indeed match it, they can't trade Aho for a full year. And the Habs put $21M of bonuses in the first 12 months. Meaning if Canes match, they are on the hook for $21M.

I bet ya the CANES was never planning to give him that bonus in his new deal..lol...

Reactions: Habano

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Voracek: 8.25M on a cap of 73M is 8.85% (in 2016-2017)
Aho: 10.5M on a cap of 81.5M is 7.76%

Already there we see his cap hit is less relative to the salary cap.

Also 10.5M is not 4 1st this year, with the higher cap it's 2 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Voracek's figure is odd because he signed early and the flyers wouldn't know what cap would be in 2016-17. When he signed it was 11.55%. In 2016-17 it was 11.3%. You might want to check your calculator again because 8.25/73 is not 8.85%...

Also 10.5 out of 81.5 is not 7.76% either. It's 12.88%.

Seriously, what calculator are you using?

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
There is conflicting reports lol

Has anyone been able to confirm if we are able to talk a trade with CAR within the 7 days or before they accept ? I know once they accept that he cannot be traded for 12 months and CAR will be on the hook for the 22 Mil owed in the first year

That opens up a way bigger discussion because the owner can say no but talk trade for something more than a 1st 2nd 3rd

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I bet ya the CANES was never planning to give him that bonus in his new deal..lol...

That's what the Habs are banking on. I'm sure they did their homework on this. But until Canes announce their decision officially, the chance they match will always linger.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Serious question, how long have offer sheets taken before being matched, historically ?

Waddell basically stated he would wait until the last minute that he has so that he ties up Montreal for as long as possible.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
The two teams can still make side deals. Did you pay attention to the example. We're not talking about the player's rights, but the two teams agreeing over compensation with a side trade to even it.

Right, I misinterpreted a little bit of his statement and thought he was speaking of the player's rights. My apologies.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Let put it this way guys/.gals

If BGALLY or Carey Price etc signed a offer sheet..what would be the reaction here?????????????? I bet most everyone here would feel what? betrayed....??? and i bet many would be saying get the heck out of town ..we dont want ya..

Anyway you slice it...Aho for real shoved a stick up the backside of the Canes ownership and management group...

If the deal so easy to match, it begs to question why wasn't it already done??? or why would Aho's agent feel this is the best route to take.....if it was "so easy"......

There's a manure pile there somewhere...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad