Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.54M) - He's Signed It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Looking back at the Chris Gratton offer sheet, that ended up with Tampa trading back the draft picks to the Flyers.

In other words, Carolina wouldn't match and the teams make a separate trade based on that. That way, Carolina could end up with a fairer trade for their best player. Just not matching and taking the picks seems like a non starter but maybe there is a trade there somewhere.

Exactly what i was talking about. Thanks chili

Reactions: Chili

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
The Canes no longer own his rights. All they can do is sign to match or not sign to match.
True. But I guess you can always have a side deal to send some player for a lower return just to even up the compensation if Waddell doesn’t want to lose face. Not likely, but is totally possible.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The only downside is what Bergevin mentioned an hour ago -- a $10M salary for Aho would become the new benchmark for the Habs' other upcoming salaries.
This is a valid argument. Although, if Aho is indeed a star player, and his last season is going to be the norm going forward, then what's wrong with his $10M contract being the benchmark? Where are those two-way point per game players on our roster, coming to get their $10M?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Why can’t we just troll the Canes on twitter too...

Who did Aho accept to sign with?
1. Montreal Canadiens
2. Not the Carolina Hurricanes

yeah , ask them how proud they are to see their star player have to go to another team to get his pay day..lmao

where was the money ????
why did he feel he had to go this route?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Looking back at the Chris Gratton offer sheet, that ended up with Tampa trading back the draft picks to the Flyers.

In other words, Carolina wouldn't match and the teams make a separate trade based on that. That way, Carolina could end up with a fairer trade for their best player. Just not matching and taking the picks seems like a non starter but maybe there is a trade there somewhere.

So we CAN negotiate a trade for Carolina to not match for the next week? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on this.

Instead of 1,2,3 can we just say here's Poehling and a 1st to go away?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

In other words, Carolina wouldn't match and the teams make a separate trade based on that. That way, Carolina could end up with a fairer trade for their best player. Just not matching and taking the picks seems like a non starter but maybe there is a trade there somewhere, if Carolina is not ok with the terms of the contract.

I'm not sure how this would work, but that example is from the 90s and there have been 2 work stoppages since then. The rules may not be exactly the same.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018

In other words, Carolina wouldn't match and the teams make a separate trade based on that. That way, Carolina could end up with a fairer trade for their best player. Just not matching and taking the picks seems like a non starter but maybe there is a trade there somewhere, if Carolina is not ok with the terms of the contract.

Carolina cannot trade Aho.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
True. But I guess you can always have a side deal to send some player for a lower return just to even up the compensation if Waddell doesn’t want to lose face. Not likely, but is totally possible.

All the posturing on both sides makes me think there were and still are ongoing negociations between the two clubs.

Reactions: 417

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Looks good for Aho who actually had to sign an offer sheet cuz his team was too cheap to pay. The. Have to wait 7 days to be matched. I would raise a stink if I was him, and demand if you value me put up or shut up now.
Well, I don't really care one way or another. He is a great young center and I really would have liked to get him and I admit that I am a little pissed off that MB did not go after him for real. There was a small chance but for once the chance was at least real that, we get the real 1C and a young one at that.

But we can't have nice things.

What goes on between Aho and Canes is about as interesting as the Canes themselves.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
So we CAN negotiate a trade for Carolina to not match for the next week? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on this.

We could in theory trade Poehling and a 1st for future considerations, or a token draft pick, but I doubt the league would appreciate that.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
As desperate as MB is and as good as AHO is I don't think he is worth 4 1st rounders. Very very few players are worth that risk.

We have seen what crappy 1st round picks has done to this team, so not have 4 1st rounders would really hurt.

I think CAR would match anything under 10.5 anyways, and at 10.5 we are paying a huge salary for this kid and gave up a ton of picks.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal

Yes. But you have to give the 1,2,3. So for example you could give stuf and get a 1st back. Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad