LeBrun: Montreal and others interested in Gostisbehere, Flyers prefer to keep him but are listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
A top 20 finish is certainly not bragging rights. A 5th place vote can get you in there which is probably what he got. Top 5 in voting? Nice. Top 20? Lol

He's atrocious defensively no matter how much Flyers fans are in denial.
Top 10 in 2018: Four 3rd place votes, two 4th and five 5th.
So top 5 is nice, top 20 is lol. What is top 10?
Not sure why you are fighting this fight.

Reactions: Sasso09

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
A top 20 finish is certainly not bragging rights. A 5th place vote can get you in there which is probably what he got. Top 5 in voting? Nice. Top 20? Lol

He's atrocious defensively no matter how much Flyers fans are in denial.

He was terrific in 17-18 leading the Flyers first pair, outplaying Provorov at even strength. There’s a lot he does defensively at a high level. Denying zone entries, for example. Anticipating plays and breaking them up. Recovering the puck and transitioning it to offense either by skating or out himself or by strong outlet passes. He’s aggressive physically at a level his size allows. His flaws are that he’s always at a disadvantage in pitched physical battles and that he plays “unsafe” which is only a flaw if you fail to realize that he’s a net positive impact.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
And Danault placed 7th for the Selke making 3.5M a year. Does that make him one of the most valued player in the game?

Straw man. I am not arguing that Ghost is one of the most valued players in the game. Merely that it only makes sense for the Flyers to trade him in very limited scenarios and Gallagher’s not one of them.

flyersfromquebec

Jul 22, 2012
Flyers fans bringing Ghost to the "norris vote blablabla"

Funny, because when I bring Danault as "selke votes top 7" you all bring him down like he's not worth the Selke voted he got.

Danault is 1 of the top 10 two way player in the league, it's not even a debate. Ghost is also 1 of the top 10 offensive D. With the Flyers near the cap (after RFA signing) at 4.5m he is basically someone you can't trade. There's no value but something insane that would equal the value of Ghost with his cap on our team.

And he is certainly not that valuable to other team and that's why I think this thread is nothing but pure nothing.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
He was terrific in 17-18 leading the Flyers first pair, outplaying Provorov at even strength. There’s a lot he does defensively at a high level. Denying zone entries, for example. Anticipating plays and breaking them up. Recovering the puck and transitioning it to offense either by skating or out himself or by strong outlet passes. He’s aggressive physically at a level his size allows. His flaws are that he’s always at a disadvantage in pitched physical battles and that he plays “unsafe” which is only a flaw if you fail to realize that he’s a net positive impact.

Sounds like Subban in a nut shell. Ask Nashville fans or habs fans how they found Subban's defensive game.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
And Danault placed 7th for the Selke making 3.5M a year. Does that make him one of the most valued player in the game?
Would gladly pay 1.3 mil more to get 6th place player Couturier.
Danault earns 3.083, not 3.5
It makes Danault valuable indeed for a team that has such a need

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Top 10 in 2018: Four 3rd place votes, two 4th and five 5th.
So top 5 is nice, top 20 is lol. What is top 10?
Not sure why you are fighting this fight.
Top 15 would be Ok, so?
Top 10 would be Cool/Good for him.
Top 3 is Awesome!

Now that we have a ranking system in place with appropriate expressions for each; carry on.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Do you mean Norris winner PK Subban? 3-time Norris nominee PK Subban? 3-time end of year All Star PK Subban?

Yes, I personally love Subban. I also like Ghost and think he'll eventually end up higher in Norris voting. But similarly to subban, it'll be his strong offense that compensates for his average at best defense that will carry him into potentially top 5 Norris voting.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
We're not trading ghost. Not this year, not right now.
You have to pick up the phone, you don't even know what people are going to say before you pick up the phone.
They have to listen, otherwise they don't f***ing know someone wants something.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Straw man. I am not arguing that Ghost is one of the most valued players in the game. Merely that it only makes sense for the Flyers to trade him in very limited scenarios and Gallagher’s not one of them.

No, it makes total sense for the Flyers to get as much value possible for him right now.

You have Provorov, Samheim, Morin (who requires waivers) on the left side and Niskanen, Braun and Myers (who requires waivers) on the right side with Hagg and Schlemko as #7/#8. At best, Ghost will be playing third pairing minutes, bringing down his ice time, points total and overall value considerably. At worst, he’ll be taking up a roster spot from Morin who deserves a chance (meaning he either is waived and lost or sit on the press box for whatever how long). His value is certainly not going up if he stays a Flyers next year. Now would be the right time to sell.

Philadelphia are not in a position of strength to deal Gostisbehere. Teams knows that he is the odd man out, especially after a down year. I personally believe (I might be wrong) that it’s Fletcher who leaked the « We would love to keep him but we are listening to offers as well » Thinking it might put some pressure on whoever inquired about Ghost to up their bid.

Montreal is in a position where they can be patient and find the right deal. If Bergevin refused to include Poehling in a deal for ROR, I doubt he would be all over the Domi/Gallagher for Ghost idea. He’s clearly waiting for the right opportunity.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
No, it makes total sense for the Flyers to get as much value possible for him right now.

You have Provorov, Samheim, Morin (who requires waivers) on the left side and Niskanen, Braun and Myers (who requires waivers) on the right side with Hagg and Schlemko as #7/#8. At best, Ghost will be playing third pairing minutes, bringing down his ice time, points total and overall value considerably. At worst, he’ll be taking up a roster spot from Morin who deserves a chance (meaning he either is waived and lost or sit on the press box for whatever how long). His value is certainly not going up if he stays a Flyers next year. Now would be the right time to sell.

Philadelphia are not in a position of strength to deal Gostisbehere. Teams knows that he is the odd man out, especially after a down year. I personally believe (I might be wrong) that it’s Fletcher who leaked the « We would love to keep him but we are listening to offers as well » Thinking it might put some pressure on whoever inquired about Ghost to up their bid.

Montreal is in a position where they can be patient and find the right deal. If Bergevin refused to include Poehling in a deal for ROR, I doubt he would be all over the Domi/Gallagher for Ghost idea. He’s clearly waiting for the right opportunity.
Waivers argument i dont get. Myers did very well last season and even better last month at the Worl’s. He is staying and playing.
Top 6 is settled.
Hagg and Morin are extras. My guess is Hagg is traded. Thats it.

No need to move anyone because of waivers.

Flyers can even trade Braun you know.

As far as Mtl being in a great position to be patient at ld, i disagree. Mete, Kulak and Folin?

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Flyers need to hold on to this guy.. his potential is way too promising and I think the Flyers are an easy team to pick to bounce back next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad