Proposal: Montreal and Buffalo

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This isn't good for both teams. But i have to say, the poster did not say he had a PPG average. Finished off the year ... in other words, over the last 40 games Reinhart was nearly. WAS NEARLY a PPG average. No more words, assumptions, or reading into things is necessary there.

Yup, Reinhart put up 36 points in his last 40 games of the season.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
hmm

At 20 years old
Galchenyuk: 46 pts
Reinhart: 42 pts

At 21
Galchenyuk: 56 pts
Reinhart: 47 pts

At 22:
Galchenyuk: 44 pts (pace of 60 pts)
Reinhart: 50 pts

or you could compare apples to apples starting with their first actual seasons

Draft Year +1
Galchenyuk - 31 pts (pace of 39)
Reinhart - 42 pts (pace of 45)

Draft Year +2
Galchenyuk - 46 pts (pace of 47)
Reinhart - 47 pts (pace of 49)

Draft Year +3
Galchenyuk - 56 pts
Reinhart - 50 pts (projecting up - nearly point per game after xmas - but I realize this is unfair.)

I like Reinhart's production better and the contract status makes an even easier preference.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see how Galchenyuk has as much value as Reinhart. They both finished with the same amount of points, Reinhart's younger, and Reinhart finished off the year at almost a ppg average. Plus Reinhart has more years of team control. Reinhart defiantly has more value.

Its arguable that Reinhart has more value, especially for Montreal. And Pacioretty has significantly more value to Montreal than Okposo, who doesn't want to play for Montreal anyways.

Buffalo either adds a lot or nothing happens (And obviously nothing would happen).

I should have explained this better. For a brief second I thought, what if the Sabres just kept ROR and went after some wingers for him and Eichel. I knew the biggest problem was the Canadiens are going to want a lot more for Pacioretty then the Sabers are willing to give. A 29 year old winger with one year left on his deal probably isn't a player the Sabers are going to go all out to try and get. With his contract and age, if Pacioretty is traded, he's probably going to be a deadline trade, not a player trade. Plus, they still need a good defencmen. It was just a thought, and probably not a very good one lol.

You're trading two wingers to target two wingers for Eichel and ROR? and only adding a draft pick? Either you have those wingers already and there is no point to this trade or the value is off for Montreal.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I should have explained this better. For a brief second I thought, what if the Sabres just kept ROR and went after some wingers for him and Eichel. I knew the biggest problem was the Canadiens are going to want a lot more for Pacioretty then the Sabers are willing to give. A 29 year old winger with one year left on his deal probably isn't a player the Sabers are going to go all out to try and get. With his contract and age, if Pacioretty is traded, he's probably going to be a deadline trade, not a player trade. Plus, they still need a good defencmen. It was just a thought, and probably not a very good one lol.

So let's make a proposal using 2 of your wingers, for 2 better ones. Easy :help:

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
or you could compare apples to apples starting with their first actual seasons

Draft Year +1
Galchenyuk - 31 pts (pace of 39)
Reinhart - 42 pts (pace of 45)

Draft Year +2
Galchenyuk - 46 pts (pace of 47)
Reinhart - 47 pts (pace of 49)

Draft Year +3
Galchenyuk - 56 pts
Reinhart - 50 pts (projecting up - nearly point per game after xmas - but I realize this is unfair.)

I like Reinhart's production better and the contract status makes an even easier preference.

First of all, your Reinhart's numbers are really off, since Reinhart only played 9 games in his Draft Year+1, and Galchenyuk had 27 points in 48 games in his Draft Year +1. You started with their Draft Year +2.

Second, here's their production per 60 minutes:

Draft Year +1
Galchenyuk - 2.74
Reinhart - 0.64

Draft Year +2
Gakchenyuk - 1.99
Reinhart - 1.89

Draft Year +3
Galchenyuk - 2.1
Reinhart - 2.07

Draft Year +4
Galchenyuk - 2.52
Reinhart - 2.14

Reinhart gets more points, but he plays more than Galchenyuk.

For the record, I grade Reinhart as more valuable because of his even strength play, but don't expect Canadiens fans to consider Reinhart either a better fit for the Canadiens or more valuable in a trade. I get why Buffalo values him more and from their POV I agree.

And the gap between them is more than negated by the difference between Pacioretty and Okposo.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Its arguable that Reinhart has more value, especially for Montreal. And Pacioretty has significantly more value to Montreal than Okposo, who doesn't want to play for Montreal anyways.

Buffalo either adds a lot or nothing happens (And obviously nothing would happen).

You're trading two wingers to target two wingers for Eichel and ROR? and only adding a draft pick? Either you have those wingers already and there is no point to this trade or the value is off for Montreal.

IMO Reinharts not a winger. He's a center playing wing because Buffalo has no wingers and 2 #1 centers.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
IMO Reinharts not a winger. He's a center playing wing because Buffalo has no wingers and 2 #1 centers.

Your not going to sell Canadiens fans on that at all. First of all, No Habs fan wants the Habs to be trading their best trade-able assets for yet another maybe center/maybe winger. If he's not playing center yet, he's not a center. He's a winger.

2nd of all, even if he is a center, he can still play on the wing. he can be a winger too.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
First of all, your Reinhart's numbers are really off, since Reinhart only played 9 games in his Draft Year+1, and Galchenyuk had 27 points in 48 games in his Draft Year +1. You started with their Draft Year +2.

Second, here's their production per 60 minutes:

Draft Year +1
Galchenyuk - 2.74
Reinhart - 0.64

Draft Year +2
Gakchenyuk - 1.99
Reinhart - 1.89

Draft Year +3
Galchenyuk - 2.1
Reinhart - 2.07

Draft Year +4
Galchenyuk - 2.52
Reinhart - 2.14

Reinhart gets more points, but he plays more than Galchenyuk.

For the record, I grade Reinhart as more valuable because of his even strength play, but don't expect Canadiens fans to consider Reinhart either a better fit for the Canadiens or more valuable in a trade. I get why Buffalo values him more and from their POV I agree.

And the gap between them is more than negated by the difference between Pacioretty and Okposo.

Um - the 9 game year was reinhart's draft year. Not Draft year +1.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
As the OP I concur with everyone. This was a bad idea from the get go. These two teams are not good trading partners. Lets let it die.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Galchenyuk and Reinhart may be similar in their on ice value at this time.

But the fact that Galchenyuk will be an unrestricted free agent in 2 years makes him worth less in my eyes.

I never understood that contract from Montreal's POV. Why hand such a young player (and recent high draft pick) a contract that takes him right to UFA (in the first year he's eligible for it IIRC)?

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
As the OP I concur with everyone. This was a bad idea from the get go. These two teams are not good trading partners. Lets let it die.

They may be good trading partners just not trading Galchenyuk for Reinhart. There is a report that Buffalo wants to move ROR. Mtl has a surplus of wingers (LW esp you have patches, Galychenyuk and realistically Drouin. I doubt Buffalo has interest in Patchioretty without an extension in place but how about something around ROR for Galchenyuk +. Habs get a 1st/2nd line center. Sabres get a C/LW back. Then one of Galchenyuk and Reinhardt plays 2nd line center and the other on the wing. Not sure what the plus above. Given ROR is a centre, habs would probably be willing to overpay a bit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad