OT: Montreal Alouettes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They can't even find someone who wants to own the team without scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Fold them and bring in the NFL. :sarcasm:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If they keep scraping the bottom of the barrel even more, the next group right after Lapointe, is probably an outlaw motorcycle gang.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
They can't even find someone who wants to own the team without scraping the bottom of the barrel.

lol...

nobody wants it,former owner gave it up..all the potential investors have jumped out....4th down and 25 , in a 3 down league...

What next ? will the Quebec gov't be asked for support?
Are we goona hear (all we need is a new stadium..lol)

Save our Als.com ?????????? Gofundme?

Myself, as ticket price continue to go up in CFL , less butts will be in the seats due to that...and that's bad news for franchises that could only ever draw 25,000 at best.

Looks bleek to me.

Reactions: Runner77

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That could be interesting

I would say that's not too interesting ...the CFL so pumped about Halifax and pumped Halifax ..they started a season ticket drive Nov 2018.all ya got to do is put down $50 bucks!!.(should of sold out quick eh?)last time i heard they only got around 6000 deposits so far for season tickets , here we are in June 2019??....and they are begging Gov't to pay for a new stadium....

Now this allstar investor team's ready to jump out of the bushes in Montreal now eh? yeah, will see.

Last edited:

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Runner got any spare cash laying around? If these numbers are even 1/2 right , the poor CFL as owners yikes...I can see why they(The CFL) want to offload quickly..lol

Stu Cowan: Vincenzo Guzzo sheds light on Alouettes sale circus
Guzzo didn’t get into details about what he saw or didn’t see from a financial standpoint about the Alouettes and added he was approached by the CFL about the possibility of buying the team. It has been reported the Alouettes lost $50 million since Wetenhall purchased the club in 1997, including $25 million over the last three years and $12.5 million last season.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Runner got any spare cash laying around? If these numbers are even 1/2 right , the poor CFL as owners yikes...I can see why they(The CFL) want to offload quickly..lol

Stu Cowan: Vincenzo Guzzo sheds light on Alouettes sale circus
Guzzo didn’t get into details about what he saw or didn’t see from a financial standpoint about the Alouettes and added he was approached by the CFL about the possibility of buying the team. It has been reported the Alouettes lost $50 million since Wetenhall purchased the club in 1997, including $25 million over the last three years and $12.5 million last season.

Holy crap, those losses are massive. Wetenhall did not get the credit he deserved for keeping it afloat, if those numbers are accurate.

All I kept hearing on franco sports media in the last few years is how it was an abomination that the GM and head coach were not locals. Tons of interviews and editorial nonsense from the likes of Mario Langue-sale from 98.5FM, Philippe Cantin and JiC are who I remember most vividly supporting the position while ownership was scrambling. Maybe they'll get what they hoped for with the new group coming in, assuming they also don't get scared off.

I don't know how they rise from this. How is new ownership supposed to make the franchise profitable? There is a huge football tradition in Montreal but would probably be more inclined to support the NFL.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Well, the rest of league has been owning the Als on the field lately, I guess they might as well own them off the field too. :naughty:

Seriously though, I'm a Riders fan but the league is so much more fun when as many teams as possible are healthy. Hopefully there is a positive solution to this soon. I would assume any new owner would get some sort of exemption on the coaches cap so they can clean house and start over. Step number one needs to be Kavis at home on his couch.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Als deserve what they're getting on the field too. I still don't get the rationale and massive overpayment in that Johnny Football fiasco trade.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Als deserve what they're getting on the field too. I still don't get the rationale and massive overpayment in that Johnny Football fiasco trade.
That trade was a blatant cash-grab/desperation move. Nothing Manziel did with Hamilton warranted giving up anything more than a mid to low pick. He was a backup who didnt look that special during the preseason. I'm okay with taking a chance on Manziel, but you dont toss away a 1st on a chance. Frankly the trade sums up what's wrong with the Als today, a team that is a step behind and is living off of its past hype.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Imagine the MA in bankruptcy. Imagine the MA not existing. Imagine the MA with real owners. Imagine the MA in NFL. Imagine the MA be relocated. Imagine with the unimaginable with the MA. Imagine with the imagination the MA. Imagine and imagine with the MA.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Holy crap, those losses are massive. Wetenhall did not get the credit he deserved for keeping it afloat, if those numbers are accurate.

All I kept hearing on franco sports media in the last few years is how it was an abomination that the GM and head coach were not locals. Tons of interviews and editorial nonsense from the likes of Mario Langue-sale from 98.5FM, Philippe Cantin and JiC are who I remember most vividly supporting the position while ownership was scrambling. Maybe they'll get what they hoped for with the new group coming in, assuming they also don't get scared off.

I don't know how they rise from this. How is new ownership supposed to make the franchise profitable? There is a huge football tradition in Montreal but would probably be more inclined to support the NFL.

I wonder how much was caused by the stadium expansion? Right when the quality of play starts to decline, and he needs to jack up ticket prices to cover the debt. Not a good combination.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018

NFL? We don't even have a baseball team yet!!!

It's a really sad story unravelling here. The team doesn't cost that much but nobody wants to take a chance. I feel the CFL is trying to create a bidding war and some potential buyers are really upset. The CFL just wants to make top dollar. I don't necessarily think it's bad business practice. I don't know how bad finances must be but the money might serve to pay off debts because no potential new buyers want that burden.

I don't think the CFL will fold the team because they know that finding a good owner will relaunch the franchise. Their past success shows that they are viable in Montral. Also, I can't blame the league for sidelining a few potential buyers after the fiasco that happened this week going out in public like that.

Last edited:

neil2005

May 2, 2012
Nothing like a coaching change a week before the season begins. What a **** show.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Another reason why the Als are a mess. Only a dysfunctional organization fires their head coach right before the season starts. They had all offseason or training camp to do it.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
what about putting a bloody linemen coach as your GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad