News Article: Montréal's first line is ranked 30th

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
There are still people who believe this team is gonna be great

No kidding.

And right on cue.

This is very flavour of the month, offseason bs. All the players on this list will likely deviate - to differing degrees - from how they performed last year. Habs were horrible this year, but I don't think we'll be able to guarantee that poor performance offensively next year. Too many things went wrong at the right time. Middle of the pack line when you look at it in context IMO.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
So now that galchenyuk is gone, people here want to do the same thing that offeneded them with galchenyuk by removing Drouin from the center spot? I'd give him a chance it literally can't get worse. If he sucks he sucks.
Yeah because the guy that looks far lazier and is an actul winger should just keep getting chances all the while looking far worse than chuck at center. Same exact thing, how could I be so stupid to not see it :shakehead:shakehead

Last edited:

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
apples and oranges,

You are completely ignoring that Galchenyuk was a franchise center that brought a steady 30 goals to the table year in, year out, and that Drouin has absolutely no room for improvement whatsoever.
I would hope he does better than last year, otherwise we look even more foolish in not one, but two trades!

Reactions: OldCraig71

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I would hope he does better than last year, otherwise we look even more foolish in not one, but two trades!

the entire guild of Galchenyuk's worshipers would then rejoice at our misery. with the CH tattooed on their hearts, of course.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
So the guy who played center and developed into a high first round pick as a center, isnt a center and the diminutive winger who never played center, gets multiple kicks at the cat. A " center" who last year needed wingers to take draws for him and was AWFUL in EVERY end of the ice. amazingly he did EVERYTHING poorly ( including effort)

We couldn't score LAST year and its likely we lose 67. Who is going to score ? it won't be Drouin's wingers because he CANNOT make his wingers better, he needs a real 1C to make HIM better.

the meat of my post is this: You don't magically get to transition from winger to center at the NHL level. Even with this, when we TRIED it, he was abysmal. the worst 1C in the league by a fair margin, so bad that this " let's give him a chaance" should never be uttered again, Look at what good centers do on the ice and look at the attributes that Drouin brings. notice how many are in both columns ?

He's not a center, he's never been a center and he never WILL be a center at the NHL level.

TL/DR Jonathan Drouin, not a center.

If by multiple you mean three, then no he hasn't had three kicks at the can.

You're not being even slightly objective in your analysis of his play.

As I clearly mentioned, I would have given Galchenyuk more looks, but I am not and was never convinced he's a center. Nor am I with Drouin. So what you're currently doing is not only putting words in my mouth but completely misinterpreting what I'm saying, which is that people need to choose, because either you give people one chance and that's all, the way Galchenyuk was treated, or you give it a go again to see if there's improvement. It's not about judging whether their equivalent treatments were fair on one end or the other, it's about how hypocritical a stance like yours is.

Yeah because the guy that looks far lazier and is an actul winger should just keep getting chances all the while looking far worse than chuck at center. Same exact thing, how could I be so stupid to not see it :shakehead:shakehead

Again, that's not the point. I agree with what you're saying, but seeing as Galchenyuk is gone the point is moot. If you felt like the one guy didn't get a fair shake, why do the same for Drouin unless you're being petty and spiteful.

apples and oranges,

You are completely ignoring that Galchenyuk was a franchise center that brought a steady 30 goals to the table year in, year out, and that Drouin has absolutely no room for improvement whatsoever.

How could I forget haha!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That is a big step for the Habs. From 25th or lower to Top-20. And this is before most of the 2018 class not having played any games as "Habs prospects." The Habs may end up higher on the list a year from now.

They'll sure have high enough picks to get there.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
At least we can count on the room being filled with attitude, starting from our leader Shea W... oh wait :sarcasm:

Come on man.... how was Marc and us fans suppose to know Weber would end up getting injured.... I mean its not like you account for age when making a trade.... :sarcasm:

I applaud Marc for not being ageist..... :sarcasm::clap:

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
People overrate the center position big time. It's "harder" but if your objective isnt to convert a young offensive player in Plekanec 2.0 he will be fine. Do you know the fo% of Malkin, McDavid, Barzal, Mackinnon, etc.? Nobody cares because fow% has shown to have minimal impact on overall posession and as long as they produce I couldnt give a single f***. These players with skill and vision are better when they have control of the center of the ice, have more room and can distribute the puck or carry it in through the neutral and offensive zone. Galchenyuk wasnt the quickest but speed isnt the most important attribute of a center. Look at Getzlaf, Tavares.

I'm so, so, so tired of people being anal about defensive skill of center. Who the f*** cares? What has that focus on defense for center led our team since decades? If Barzal played on this team he'd be a 3rd line RW because dinosaurs like CJ think that every center must be Jacques Lemaire.

/rant

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
We're also #1 in "pieces": Max Domi says Canadiens have 'pieces it takes to win' - Sportsnet.ca

Also, we're going to be #1 in hotdogs and marijuana beer.

2f50fo.gif
He's not wrong, we're in pieces.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
the entire guild of Galchenyuk's worshipers would then rejoice at our misery. with the CH tattooed on their hearts, of course.

Whatever gets Bergevin fired as soon as possible is what's best for the team. So yeah.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Bergevin doesn't think about what the lineup will look like when he thinks about trades, signings etc... He just wants to get rid of players he doesn't like (Subban, Galchenyuk, etc..), will take the best available asset for them, and his mind everything will work out as long as we have character and attitude. Or, he has a set price in mind of what a player is worth and won't pay above that, even if it leaves the team crippled (Markov and Radulov). But he has no problem paying top dollar for players without skill but tons of "character" (Alzner, Shaw)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad