Value of: Montréal wingers

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wingers are the Hab’s biggest strength. They are kind of younger at centre and older on D and in goal, no?

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
Are the Habs dealing Tatar and not taking any salary back?

I am not sure about this.

My friend who works close to the organization didn't hear anything about salary he just mentioned the discussion about the players involved. (Edited - original sentence made it seem like i had a direct link to the club. This is not the case)

Sidenote i agree with most of the posts so far that talk about it being redundant to move out a winger in place for someone that is already filling that void.

I do think that the possibility of losing Tatar for nothing and not having a replacement during this window of cost certainty for the Canadians would make them consider a longer term solution to fill that role.

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I am not sure about this.

My friend who works in the organization didn't hear anything about salary he just mentioned the discussion about the players involved.

Sidenote i agree with most of the posts so far that talk about it being redundant to move out a winger in place for someone that is already filling that void.

I do think that the possibility of losing Tatar for nothing and not having a replacement during this window of cost certainty for the Canadians would make them consider a longer term solution to fill that role.

Your friend works in the habs organization?

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Trading Tatar is more realistic that other options I have heard you tubers bring up(just trade Byron and Kulak as example). Tatar's playoff pretty much killed Canadians chance to resign.

Depends on Hoffman deal size. If we are talking 1 year 4.5 or 3 yr 4.75 per and trade Tatar for a late pick yeah I see why. But 4 year Hoffman at 5+m per I wouldn't love it.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Given this isn’t one of those insulting and preposterous Drouin for Girard+ or Tatar for Byram + a first type nonsense proposals, I’ll weigh in constructively.

why are the Habs moving a first line winger for a similar top six winger. Seems like a sideways move that messes with chemistry.

secondly, which teams would trade for Tatar without sending back salary? I can’t think of any. Nor does it make sense for a rebuilding team to waste valuable cap space on a 30 year old rental making over $5mm. They could fill that hole with a UFA or give more ice time to their younger players as the rebuild looking toward future seasons. And are ok with losing in 20-21.

Tatar should have his max value at the trade deadline assuming the Habs want to move him. Today, he’d be traded at deep discount and the fit would be odd. And it affects Habs team chemistry. I don’t see it. Wait this one out and evaluate a trade much closer to April 12th. Potentially to a team with injury concerns, a good playoff spot locked in and the need for top six point getting left wing/shot. He’s a rental. Needs to be traded as such to a playoff team. None have cap space today but injures can open that up. Then you move him for the highest 2021 pick offered. This also assumes the Habs don’t want him for their own playoff run.

this is a player that may walk for nothing in free agency because he’s valuable to the Habs thru the full term of his current contract.

Last edited:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Maybe but I cant see Hoffman wanting a third line role when he could make the same and play first line elsewhere
Hoffman would probably prefer other places you are right, but he would be getting the same ice time as other players on the team plus first wave PP

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Purely speculative but i heard the following from a friend of mine :

Out: Tatar might not start the season as a Canadian and could be moved for a pick

In: Hoffman might be the roster player taking his place.

Curious what fans / other fanbases feel about this.

I believe the reasoning is that goals are harder to come by especially in a shortened season so if it takes time to get the ball rolling for other offseason acquisitions Hoffman could be another player who can put the puck in the net if their other two wingers are off to slow starts ( and vice versa)
who's your friend? ;) I don't know about hoffman, but i definitely see them moving Tatar for picks or prospects. They're going to need his spot to protect another forward. It's a risk though, he's part of a very productive line and he led team in scoring last year

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Did you ignore what I said. I was saying if they wanted to get rid of Tatar after signing Hoffman. Much like what happened with Vegas and Vancouver
just because one GM is dumb and desperate doesn't mean it sets a precedent for all future trades. I personally don't think they sign Hoffman. They'd move tatar to make room for someone like anderson or toffoli in the top 6 + cap space for danault + one less forward to protect next summer

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Purely speculative but i heard the following from a friend of mine :

Out: Tatar might not start the season as a Canadian and could be moved for a pick

In: Hoffman might be the roster player taking his place.

Curious what fans / other fanbases feel about this.

I believe the reasoning is that goals are harder to come by especially in a shortened season so if it takes time to get the ball rolling for other offseason acquisitions Hoffman could be another player who can put the puck in the net if their other two wingers are off to slow starts ( and vice versa)
If Habs were going to do that they would have. Made a lot of moves this off season. They are set to start season.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
So was Schmidt. But once you put yourself in a bad spot you have to take less

But we're not in a bad spot.

Are the Habs dealing Tatar and not taking any salary back?

I guess according to the OP.

I was saying if they wanted to get rid of Tatar after signing Hoffman. Much like what happened with Vegas and Vancouver

But why would we pick up Hoffman? He's a locker room cancer. Practically no one wants him. There's always a good reason when a guy has his kind of numbers and interest is limited.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
What's the motivation for Hoffman here? The Habs aren't great down the middle and would be giving up Tatar, their top producing forward. What's the sell? Hey, we'll sign you, trade away our only point producer, and it'll be sunshine and rainbows?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why would anyone trade for Tatar when they can sign Hoffman for free?

Hoffman is free in terms of cap space but Hoffman is also free to sign with who he wants to play for. You can't force him to sign. However, Habs are not going to trade Tatar and then sign Hoffman. Hoffman gives us a PP Left handed shot and there is value there. But I don't see the Habs trading Tatar who is well liked in the dressing room and fits well with Danault and Gallagher. One of the best 5/5 lines in the NHL

Interesting in Hoffman but best to unload Byron & Armia before Tatar. With Anderson, Gallagher, Toffoli, Caufield, and Lehkonen who can play both sides, we probably don't have a top 9 spot for Armia anymore.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What's the motivation for Hoffman here? The Habs aren't great down the middle and would be giving up Tatar, their top producing forward. What's the sell? Hey, we'll sign you, trade away our only point producer, and it'll be sunshine and rainbows?

It's just fans wanting to make moves. Tatar had a bad playoffs and because that is recent memory, he is the latest on the chopping block to those fans who want to make even more moves than what Bergevin already did.

I doubt the Habs are going to trade Tatar and then sign Hoffman. Hoffman would help our PP with his left handed one timer though but if we make that move, we are going to trade Byron and Armia before Tatar. With only 9 teams with $4M or less in cap space, I don't see this happening.

Habs will probably try to move Weal and sign one of Perry or Kovalchuk

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It's just fans wanting to make moves. Tatar had a bad playoffs and because that is recent memory, he is the latest on the chopping block to those fans who want to make even more moves than what Bergevin already did.

I doubt the Habs are going to trade Tatar and then sign Hoffman. Hoffman would help our PP with his left handed one timer though but if we make that move, we are going to trade Byron and Armia before Tatar
Would seem to me the Habs are better off making a trade for another scorer tbh. I know they dealt for Anderson, a massive gamble, but they need more. Moving Tatar out for Hoffman isnt it. The team needs any kind of offense they can get at this point.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Would seem to me the Habs are better off making a trade for another scorer tbh. I know they dealt for Anderson, a massive gamble, but they need more. Moving Tatar out for Hoffman isnt it. The team needs any kind of offense they can get at this point.

Negative. Not when Julien's strategy involves winning games 2-1. The offseason additions gave him the balance he wanted, on a bleu-blanc-rouge platter.

It's just like us saying 'Whoa I know you guys signed Brodie, massive gamble to pair with a fellow rover in Reilly, but they need more on D'.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hoffman would help our PP with his one timer left handed shot. Habs are a solid hockey team with the moves we made. If you wanna talk question marks? I have two of them.

1) PP needs to be top 15, not bottom 5.
2) Suzuki and Kotkaniemi need to take a step forward, not backwards.

If those two issues are not a problem, Habs are going to give teams fits! I can see the Habs finishing anywhere from top 5-15 range and we all know each season depends on momentum and circumstances of injuries. Not expecting a cup or final 4 finish but they can reach the 2nd round.

I just don't see us moving Tatar for Hoffman. Maybe if they can pull this off, you move Byron and Armia and then sign Hoffman. We are not built to be top heavy with offense and a top 5 PP but our team D and goaltending is top notch so we are not going to be easy to beat. Rolling three 2nd lines with an above average 4th line is of value.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Would love to have Tatar on the Sabres but with cap and current roster I just don’t see a move that’d work.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Negative. Not when Julien's strategy involves winning games 2-1. The offseason additions gave him the balance he wanted, on a bleu-blanc-rouge platter.

It's just like us saying 'Whoa I know you guys signed Brodie, massive gamble to pair with a fellow rover in Reilly, but they need more on D'.
Hey, as long as you buy into the propaganda, everyone is happy. 2-1 every night.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Hey, as long as you buy into the propaganda, everyone is happy. 2-1 every night.

Why, you suggesting Habs fans rise? Protest Molson for keeping Bergevin?

Been there done that, nobody cares. Acceptance is better than denial.

For you guys it's 6-5 every night though amirite? I wouldn't call it propaganda just because it's the Anti-Leafs model.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad