Value of: Montréal wingers

Devils8961

Dec 16, 2017
Purely speculative but i heard the following from a friend of mine :

Out: Tatar might not start the season as a Canadian and could be moved for a pick

In: Hoffman might be the roster player taking his place.

Curious what fans / other fanbases feel about this.

I believe the reasoning is that goals are harder to come by especially in a shortened season so if it takes time to get the ball rolling for other offseason acquisitions Hoffman could be another player who can put the puck in the net if their other two wingers are off to slow starts ( and vice versa)

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
I do view Hoffman as the better player and goal-scorer, but last season, both players were basically equal (Hoffman 7 more goals, Tatar i think 2 extra pts).

Given it is a condensed season, though, do you want to take the risk that Hoffman doesn't fit or find chemistry, or takes some time to adjust and settle in, vs. Tatar who is already proven on the Mtl team liked in the room ? I"m not sure the team would/should.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Does not make sense really...what pick would the Habs get? Hoffman made more than Tatar last season would he be willing to take less than $4.8M Tatar is due to make against the cap? How long would he sign for? As mentioned there is also the chemistry Tatar has built up with his teammates.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Doesn't really make sense. Hoffman is better, but I wouldn't say significantly and you risk disrupting chemistry. Why would a team give up futures for one year of Tatar, when in theory they could just sign Hoffman, to one year, for free.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Only way it makes any sense is if Hoffman would sign for more than one year.

The Tatar, Danault, Gallagher line has been really good over the last two years. I see no reason to break them up. While Hoffman is a bit better offensively than Tatar I believe that Tatar is better defensively than Hoffman. Why mess with that lines chemistry if you don’t need to. Now with that said Tatar is an upcoming UFA so an extended Hoffman is better than the unknown of one year of Tatar.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I’m sure there are teams that would prefer Tatar to Hoffman. But one winger is free to sign and the other would cost picks or what not to acquire.
Tatar fits well in Montreal just keep him for the season and go from there.

Reactions: Habsrule

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
No teams trading for Tatar with Hoff as an option so your only choice would be sign Hoff first then get like a third for Tatar because cap issues

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Doesn't really make sense. Hoffman is better, but I wouldn't say significantly and you risk disrupting chemistry. Why would a team give up futures for one year of Tatar, when in theory they could just sign Hoffman, to one year, for free.

Strongest add for team is to keep Tatar and add Hof fo free.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

Out: Tatar might not start the season as a Canadian and could be moved for a pick

I believe the reasoning is that goals are harder to come by especially in a shortened season so if it takes time to get the ball rolling for other offseason acquisitions Hoffman could be another player who can put the puck in the net if their other two wingers are off to slow starts ( and vice versa)

Hoffman is going to blues. They do not need to move a contract out.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Marc Bergevin and Claude Julien would bring in Mike Hoffman.

Reactions: viceroy

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Why wouldn't the team trading for Tatar just sign Hoffman?
You assume free agents want to sign with any and every team. Seems like quite a few people think it's as simple as throwing a contract at anyone and having them sign anywhere.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Tatar doesn't have a NTC and the Habs aren't over the cap so it's not a comparable scenario. Anyways, it would make far more sense to just add picks to trade away Byron and Kulak so the Habs can have Tatar AND Hoffman.
Maybe but I cant see Hoffman wanting a third line role when he could make the same and play first line elsewhere

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Maybe but I cant see Hoffman wanting a third line role when he could make the same and play first line elsewhere

He would still most likely be in the top6. He could also see this as an opportunity to go far in the PO given the Canadian division.

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This is the type of fantasy deal that works in EA or sim leagues but not in real life. You're dealing with human beings here. The hardest part about making a team is ensuring as best as you can the personalities all fit together. It would create an immediate dark cloud over the team if any GM did this which is why this never happens. Or on the very, very rare occasion it has, it didn't work out well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad