GDT: Montréal vs Buffalo - 7PM ET - RDS/SNE/BELL-TV/MSG-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
LOL hes on his way for a 50+pts seasons and people say he sucks.
Subban isn't playing well at all!

He rarely shoots anymore, misses his hip checks, isn't able to prevent opportunities like last year, and seems largely unsure with the puck.

I'm starting to think that JJD's coaching might have made him less confident in his abilities.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

He rarely shoots anymore, misses his hip checks, isn't able to prevent opportunities like last year, and seems largely unsure with the puck.

I'm starting to think that JJD's coaching might have made him less confident in his abilities.

Perhaps it was being snubbed by Babcock that hurt PK's confidence.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I have to hope the methodology here is to give Gilbert a little wake up call. He's been horribly inconsistent and seeing we are playing Buffalo, Therrien might figure this is a good game to do a one off.

Or he's a complete moron. Why do I think that's probably more accurate?

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
We want to be a puck possession team and we bench Gilbert? Akers no sense.

I don't what the advanced stats say but when I watch Gilbert one of the last things that comes to mind is puck possession. In fact we have four defensemen in the top 30 in giveaways. That is horrible.

Maybe it's due to the forwards not being around to help out, as Lars Eller said.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

I've said it for two years now JJ has no idea or vision on how to make PK a better D.
Larry Robinson would have known how to work with his raw talent.
We are losing out big time trust me on this...

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Are you people serious? Complaining we are scratching Gilbert and his 3 pts in 23 games? LOL. Even Weaver has more pts in less games.

Allen has only played 2 games with his new team, Therrien will give him a few games to adjust and if he still sucks, then he might get benched.

I swear the Therrien hate is ridiculous.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Are you people serious? Complaining we are scratching Gilbert and his 3 pts in 23 games? LOL. Even Weaver has more pts in less games.

Allen has only played 2 games with his new team, Therrien will give him a few games to adjust and if he still sucks, then he might get benched.

I swear the Therrien hate is ridiculous.
You believe the number of points a defenseman has encapsulates how good he is playing?

He's a defensive liability, a turnover machine, and slow as molasses in January. Having said that, Allen has shown to be even worse.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
I don't what the advanced stats say but when I watch Gilbert one of the last things that comes to mind is puck possession. In fact we have four defensemen in the top 30 in giveaways. That is horrible.
Drew Doughty was top-10 in giveaways last year and is still top-25. Does he suck?

The giveaway stat is poorly understood. To give the puck away, you have to have it first. Thus, the defencemen who are strong puck-possession players tend to rack up more giveaways and look bad by that measure, while slugs who never get the puck very much have a low giveaway count. Go look at the bottom of the giveaways stat column if you don't believe me. The league "best" in giveaways by a defenceman last year was somebody named Michael Stone in Phoenix. He's pretty mediocre by any other measure you care to look at.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Drew Doughty was top-10 in giveaways last year and is still top-25. Does he suck?

The giveaway stat is poorly understood. To give the puck away, you have to have it first. Thus, the defencemen who are strong puck-possession players tend to rack up more giveaways and look bad by that measure, while slugs who never get the puck very much have a low giveaway count. Go look at the bottom of the giveaways stat column if you don't believe me. The league "best" in giveaways by a defenceman last year was somebody named Michael Stone in Phoenix. He's pretty mediocre by any other measure you care to look at.

:handclap:

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
I GOT VLC TO WORK !!!!
Just wanted to say thanx to good kiwi for his help, because the stream thread was closed

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
I GOT VLC TO WORK !!!!
Just wanted to say thanx to good kiwi for his help, because the stream thread was closed
Would it be possible to send me a PM with the instructions, please?

I've been trying to figure it out as well and it doesn't seem to be that intuitive. :(

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

or maybe it's just a 25yo guy having problem dealing with the pressure of a new big contract?

Not the first time we see this.

Giroux had 2 goals in his first 20 games last year after signing his first big contract. He finished with 28.

If Subban play like this the whole season and playoffs it will be the time to ask questions but for now to me it's just a young player having problem to deal with the pressure of a first big contract something he never had to deal with in the past.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
tbh it's part wakeup call, part wanting to give Allen a fair deal. Three games is not enough. He needs 8 or so IMO. One of the luxuries of being first in the league is we can give these chances...

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
or maybe it's just a 25yo guy having problem dealing with the pressure of a new big contract?
IMHO, he needs some positive reinforcement. It seems that this guy has to deal with way too much. If they'd cut him loose once in a while, I'm sure he'd play a lot better overall.

His style is to combine risks with rewards. I understand that as a coach, you don't want to take the bad with the good, so you try to eliminate the bad. Unfortunately, in doing so, you eliminate the good as well.

Subban was a force to be reckoned with on the PP last year. He had 23 points in those situations. This season, he has 2! TWO! He doesn't take lots of shots and always hesitates and is now prone to throwing the puck instead. It doesn't work. And I'm sure that's not his idea, either. The 1-3-1 system will hopefully promote more shooting. He's got a fantastic cannon and should be using it way more often.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
The Gilbert scratch is the best thing to happen this year. Guy is useless.

Analyzer*

The Gilbert scratch is the best thing to happen this year. Guy is useless.

But his Corsi was great a terrible Panthers team. It doesn't matter that the Panther fans said he was terrible, or that he sucked in Minnesota and sucked for the majority of the time he played in Edmonton, it's about the stats! What don't you get !?

If Corsi tells me a player is good, I'll believe Corsi over actually watching lol!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Not the first time we see this.

Giroux had 2 goals in his first 20 games last year after signing his first big contract. He finished with 28.

If Subban play like this the whole season and playoffs it will be the time to ask questions but for now to me it's just a young player having problem to deal with the pressure of a first big contract something he never had to deal with in the past.

Two seasons ago PK was a .9 PPG DMan. Last season he was mid .6 PPG. This season .57. A steady decline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad