Monthly News Thread (September/October 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
-wwe announced; Evolution to appear at Smackdown 1000

-Ted Turner is battling Lewy body dementia, the CNN founder revealed in an interview that will air over the weekend

-WWE shares are at 96.73$ right now. ratings down, value up.
So they did get Batista

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Punishment Martinez has finished with ROH and is going to WWE.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm pretty sure the stock going up is partly the buyback stuff from the McMahons and the TV deal coming up. The last time they were about to sign a new TV deal, their stock rose until it was signed. Then it tanked again. At least I'm pretty sure that's how it went.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It's a very different situation from last time they got a TV deal. Last time the stock increase was on the prediction of getting a better deal than they had. But when it was announced it was much lower than expected. This time there was a bidding war, and when they announced the numbers it was far higher than expected.

The stock is going up because WWE have gotten two massive new revenue streams (Saudi money and big TV deal on a major channel) with zero added cost. All this new money is 100% pure profit, as they were already operating on a (small) yearly profit.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
Kairi Sane, Io Shirai and Mauro were shown in attendance at the NJPW show last night in Long beach.
hopefuly they dont get mad.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good they got Batista for Smackdown 1000. To bad to hear that about Turner. That's a rotten illness, no one deserves that. Turner's not 80 yet (November 19)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's a very different situation from last time they got a TV deal. Last time the stock increase was on the prediction of getting a better deal than they had. But when it was announced it was much lower than expected. This time there was a bidding war, and when they announced the numbers it was far higher than expected.

The stock is going up because WWE have gotten two massive new revenue streams (Saudi money and big TV deal on a major channel) with zero added cost. All this new money is 100% pure profit, as they were already operating on a (small) yearly profit.

Yeah but the Saudi money will run out. That's not a relationship that's going to last long term.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
It won't last forever, but that's not a problem when we're talking about now. And now is what is important for the current stock price.

It's secondary to the TV deal anyway, (which also will run out). It's just more good on top of already good.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Neville appeared at Dragon Gate. Cool to see him back

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Was really hoping he would end up in New Japan, but its no surprise that he's gone to Dragon Gate......he was there for 5 years before signing for WWE.
It'll be interesting to see what he does. There are a lot of new matches for him to have, and a lot of places for him to have them. NJPW will always have the best matches for him, so I expect they'll try and book him for some of them.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Daniel Bryan probably knows exactly how bad she sucks. He just won't ever say it or he would be sleeping on the couch.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Talked briefly about in the Raw thread buuuuut......

He's right to defend his wife but he's NOT right in the sense that men don't get shit when they hurt somebody. Seth and Joe got endless torment when they've hurt people. Bret Hart raged for days about Seth. Brie got MORE hate because she consistently sucks and represents everything wrong with women's wrestling. If Reigns broke somebody's nose with a Superman Punch - he'd get JUST as much hate as her...if not more.

Not everything is a gender issue. Sometimes it's a 'you f***ing suck and this was the breaking point' issue.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The outrage to Brie is simply because wrestling fans never liked her in the first place. He has yet to explicitly state that it was a gender issue and I think he'd be wrong if he did explicitly make it out about that. But it's also true that people exaggerate the botching Brie has done and the damage it has done. She is a terrible wrestler and she has done some awful looking things in the ring but she hasn't injured people like this much at all in her history.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
The outrage to Brie is simply because wrestling fans never liked her in the first place. He has yet to explicitly state that it was a gender issue and I think he'd be wrong if he did explicitly make it out about that. But it's also true that people exaggerate the botching Brie has done and the damage it has done. She is a terrible wrestler and she has done some awful looking things in the ring but she hasn't injured people like this much at all in her history.

What other double standard could there be though?

He mentions that others rarely get called out if they botch or hurt somebody which I disagree with but I can't think of what his implications mean unless he's saying "buuuuuuuuut she's a woman...".

I dunno anymore.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
lots of people were calling her out for "doing it on purpose". im guessing he's talking about it too.
i believe Brie sucks, but i dont believe this with any bad intention....

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What other double standard could there be though?

He mentions that others rarely get called out if they botch or hurt somebody which I disagree with but I can't think of what his implications mean unless he's saying "buuuuuuuuut she's a woman...".

I dunno anymore.

Where did he mention others rarely get called out if they botch or hurt someone?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Where did he mention others rarely get called out if they botch or hurt someone?

His Instagram post says every wrestler has hurt somebody but rarely do they get the hate that she did.

Almost every wrestler has accidentally hurt someone, but rarely do you see this kind of hate when it happens. For example... I concussed Randy Orton in 2012 after hitting him with what was supposed to be a chair to the back. Unfortunately part of the side hit him in the back of the head, and he was forced to miss a PPV. In 2009 in our last match against each other, I concussed Nigel McGuinness after doing a dive into him in the crowd, where his head hit the floor. And there are others... As for the Yes kicks, two weeks ago I accidentally kicked Andrade directly in the head due to a miscommunication on my part. I feel fortunate that he was ok, because there are few feelings worse than hurting someone... Despite all of that, never did I receive the backlash Bri did this week.

Suppose it could be volume of hate and its entirely possible I've misinterpreted his approach but it does feel like he's making the comparison to how men are treated as opposed to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad