Monthly News Thread (May '17)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Rumor on the UK Show is that Vince has been getting cold feet since 205 Live has been tanking.
:laugh: 205 gets the slot after smackdown and can't even get in the top 20.

According to The Wrestling Observer, WWE 205 Live continues to draw poor numbers on the WWE Network. Over the past week, the show was not in the top 20 of the most watched shows on the WWE Network and was watched less than a three month old episode of”Ride Along” and the 1998 Halloween Havoc PPV.

Last edited:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
A problem that has been states multiple times by guys who were previously in the business about cruiser weights is that many of the main eventers can now pull off similar moves during a show as the cruiser weights. The gap has lessened.

They kind of have a point. Comparing Hogan, Flair, Nash and Hall to Dean Malenko, Mysterio, psychosis, Ultimo Dragon showed a big style difference and in ring difference.

Comparing Rollins, Owens, Ambrose, Aj styles, cesaro to the current cruiser weights during the same raw, the gap is barely there.

Last edited:

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Jerichos thoughts on fixing the cruiser weights.
Put Enzo in the cruiser weight division lol.

How to fix the current Cruiserweight division

There's a lot of that but also, how much more can you do? Also, you say Cruiserweights - you remember things differently than what there were. People say 'Attitude era was great we want the Attitude Era.' I'm like, really? Did you forget when Mae Young gave birth to a hand? Did you forget about the Katy Vick necrophilia angle? Really think about what you're saying. So the Cruiserweight division in WCW, while the style was innovative, a lot of people really didn't give a damn. I remember vividly, vividly working in a Clash Of Champions, Jericho vs. Eddie Guerrero. And you think 'Oh my gosh, what a dream match.' It was for the Cruiserweight championship, and nobody gave a *****.

"They sat on their hands the whole show and I remember just - I think it was in Nashville or something, but nobody cared. Not one person making noise. Which you might think is crazy, but that's the way it was. So when you see 205 Live and people are making noise, we went through it too. And it's like you said, the style isn't that different from a Seth Rollins, a Jericho, I think I see every single person does an a-tope from Samoa Joe to Dean Ambrose, Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn - so what is the difference? I don't really know. If you're going for the characters and personality then that's "the heavyweight guys." So what do the Cruiserweights do to try and break through? I don't know. Neville is a great character but he needs a great babyface to work with.

"And here's what I think could work, I think if you put Enzo Amore as a Cruiserweight, and put Enzo vs. Neville for the title, have Enzo win it, watch people get interested in the Cruiserweight division. And people at home are going 'Ah Enzo can't work!' It's not about that. It's about getting people to care about the title. Get Enzo in there, have him win it, and watch people start to get involved in the 205 Live. Then Neville has someone to work with. He doesn't have a baby face to work with. He really doesn't, that's super genuinely over with the crowd. That will help."

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news...cho-on-how-to-fix-wwe-cruiserweight-division/

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
It's pretty amazing that more people on the Network are watching Kidman and Disco Inferno fight for the Cruiserweight title than they are watching 205 Live.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
205 should be moved to full sail permanently. Use the smaller crowds to have atmosphere. They're just clueless how to build an undercard on the show sadly.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
205 should be moved to full sail permanently. Use the smaller crowds to have atmosphere. They're just clueless how to build an undercard on the show sadly.
That won't fix the problem alone. The problem is that it isn't the CWC.

Fans wanted a show that was in the style of the CWC. High skill level, more sports like presentation, minimal ******** wrestling drama.

But instead WWE have given us is a WWE wrestling show, but with smaller guys. And no one wants that. If you wanted a WWE style show you'd watch Raw and Smackdown where the "real stars" are, along with all the crap that goes with it. No one wants more of the same, just painted purple. They want something different.

NXT works because the structure of the show is completely different from the main roster. You have a slower pace, long builds, squash matches to get talent over, a constant stream of new talent, logical booking, characters that are mostly enjoyable. It isn't anything like watch Raw with a palette switch.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
They can't because they are still apart of RAW and tour with the rosters
Only a couple guys actually tour with the main roster, most of them don't. It's really just Neville and Aries who tour doing the title match.

For most guys it's just TV nights and a few NXT local shows.

But it's really trivial to tape the show at Full Sail if they wanted to, even if everyone was touring all the time. All you have to do is book the building once every four weeks and send guys there. It's not hard to book things to line up correctly as everything in the division is in a bubble. Yeah some random injury could mess stuff up, but you can just handle it when it happens.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
They can't because they are still apart of RAW and tour with the rosters

Maybe they should just "risk it" and make the brand a complete separate thing. Outside of the title matches being on the ppv's/occasional RAW/...NXT takeovers??. Let 205 live show be the workhorse show it was supposed to be. Keep their travel loop to Florida alone.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Wwe is lucky they aren't going against the nba finals on Monday and Tuesday. Viewers is up 7% in this years playoffs and with a three peat of the finals, they would lose a lot of viewers.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Agree with Kimi. Would have preferred like a point system in the CWC. Something unique and different. More about sport. Less drama.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The main events of these 205 live shows do a decent job of getting the crowd and they're almost always really good matches. Every other week they usually have a ppv-like build to a main event. Problem is the storie usually suck and they don't truly do anything special compared to the main roster

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
2 hours is usually enough weekday wrestling for me. so I usually cant be bothered after Smackdown

if they moved it to Full Sail full time and showed it on Wednesday before/after NXT id probably watch it

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
The CWC was awesome with all the different people. Don't really care for the division now unless Neville and Aries are fighting on a PPV.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cruiserweights won't be fixed until they're off Raw permanently and just given their own platform to sink or swim. When you relegate the division to **** break spots that have very little push when it comes to their stories, it's going to be treated as less than by the fans. The only way for that type of thing to be taken seriously and get any type of momentum behind it is if it is treated like NXT. It is its own show and only its own show where it isn't taking a backseat to Raw or Smackdown like it currently is. I agree that the moveset gap isn't really there but I don't think that's a determining factor for their success. It's just its placement on the card for what they had hoped it would be is not conducive to the success they want.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Why can't the Cruiserweights face guys like Miz? Ambrose? etc

It seems like the same revolving door of 3-4 CW's each week. There's zero depth.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

It seems like the same revolving door of 3-4 CW's each week. There's zero depth.

WWE doesn't know how to book them against guys out of their division without making them look like chumps is my guess, based on the last time the cruiserweights were around.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If they're fighting guys who aren't cruiserweights, then the cruiserweights aren't special. It's already tough enough for them that bigger guys can do the same moves they do.

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis

There's actually quite a bit of depth, the company just refuses to use it. I mean how often is someone like Gran Metlik used? Not often enough.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
If they're fighting guys who aren't cruiserweights, then the cruiserweights aren't special. It's already tough enough for them that bigger guys can do the same moves they do.

The cruiserweights aren't special to begin with. Aside from Neville and Aries, it's a bunch of geeks who would be jobbers on the main card.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The cruiserweights aren't special to begin with. Aside from Neville and Aries, it's a bunch of geeks who would be jobbers on the main card.

Which is why you couldn't put them together in matches.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
tbh they've botched the cruisers so much that I wouldn't mind Strowman just killed Perkins when he comes back, although that may just be me and my opinion of Perkins rather than the cruisers as a whole.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Randy Orton is still champion

RxfwBQB.jpg

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Banks + Swann vs Dar + Faaaaaawwwwwks confirmed for Extreme Rules

Status