Money Money Money

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
No bias at all. I'm simply not quite as sure as the OP that Iginla left for just more money. Whether he liked it here or thought that Colorado was going to get better if he went there are perfectly fine reasons aside from just the money, no? Blanket statements like "how much is enough" or "he has enough money for his entire family to do whatever they want" show far more bias than what I said, no?

I have no problem saying he left for the money and have no problem with him doing it. More specifically I think he left for a situation where he could get paid *and* still play for what was perceived to be a top 5 team.

speculating that he left because of the team's playing style adds nothing to the discussion considering that nothing about his situation last summer suggests anything of the sort. By all accounts Boston was his first choice all things being equal, but they couldn't accommodate him so he left. It had *nothing* to do with playing style. Why even suggest it other than to stir the pot and take another dig at the "slow, boring, Bruins?".

And btw, the general consensus when he signed with the Avs was that the were a bad fit for him because he wouldn't be able to keep up. Like where do you even get the notion that he would go there because he was dying to play for a faster team? His individual style of play gelled perfectly with Looch and Krejci.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I have no problem saying he left for the money and have no problem with him doing it. More specifically I think he left for a situation where he could get paid *and* still play for what was perceived to be a top 5 team.

speculating that he left because of the team's playing style adds nothing to the discussion considering that nothing about his situation last summer suggests anything of the sort. By all accounts Boston was his first choice all things being equal, but they couldn't accommodate him so he left. It had *nothing* to do with playing style. Why even suggest it other than to stir the pot and take another dig at the "slow, boring, Bruins?".

And btw, the general consensus when he signed with the Avs was that the were a bad fit for him because he wouldn't be able to keep up. Like where do you even get the notion that he would go there because he was dying to play for a faster team? His individual style of play gelled perfectly with Looch and Krejci.

I said his style of physical play would compliment the speed guys because he can hit and open up lanes for them to skate down. I've been on a diversity of skill kick for a while now, and one of the biggest issues with the Bruins roster has been that they have too many of the same kinds of player. So for Colorado to have an exceptionally fast team, it makes sense to me that they'd go out of their way to make Iggy feel wanted and welcome, which goes a long way in these types of situations. You have a team that is willing to pay him more, for a longer time, and they're going out of their way to make you feel wanted?

The irony here is that you assume I have a bias, yet everyone on the other side of this argument are predisposed to only accept that he wanted more money and can't be convinced otherwise. That my friend is the literal definition of bias. I've merely offered several reasons as to why he may have gone to a different place, aside from the money, yet you've taken issue with them. I said maybe he didn't like the style of play. Maybe he didn't like the city. Maybe Colorado wooed him more aggressively. Maybe he hates to fly and is now centrally located, so it cuts down on his air time. Who knows? I don't. And you don't. The only person who knows why he chose Colorado is Jarome Iginla. So speculating like you did:

It's on par with me saying maybe he didn't like the style or city. Or he wanted better weather and zoos. It's nothing more than speculation. That's the point. And you trying to correct the speculation of me, while speculating yourself rings hollow, IMO.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Do people forget that Colorado was just as good as Boston that year?

Not like Iggy said, pay me so I can play on a ****** team. Colorado looked to be a team on the rise for a LONG time.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I said his style of physical play would compliment the speed guys because he can hit and open up lanes for them to skate down. I've been on a diversity of skill kick for a while now, and one of the biggest issues with the Bruins roster has been that they have too many of the same kinds of player. So for Colorado to have an exceptionally fast team, it makes sense to me that they'd go out of their way to make Iggy feel wanted and welcome, which goes a long way in these types of situations. You have a team that is willing to pay him more, for a longer time, and they're going out of their way to make you feel wanted?

The irony here is that you assume I have a bias, yet everyone on the other side of this argument are predisposed to only accept that he wanted more money and can't be convinced otherwise. That my friend is the literal definition of bias. I've merely offered several reasons as to why he may have gone to a different place, aside from the money, yet you've taken issue with them. I said maybe he didn't like the style of play. Maybe he didn't like the city. Maybe Colorado wooed him more aggressively. Maybe he hates to fly and is now centrally located, so it cuts down on his air time. Who knows? I don't. And you don't. The only person who knows why he chose Colorado is Jarome Iginla. So speculating like you did:

It's on par with me saying maybe he didn't like the style or city. Or he wanted better weather and zoos. It's nothing more than speculation. That's the point. And you trying to correct the speculation of me, while speculating yourself rings hollow, IMO.

except what I'm saying is not pure speculation. Don't feel like digging up links, but I'm pretty certain guys like Mackenzie and Lebrun mentioned last summer while he was still a free agent that his first choice was Boston and he was giving them a little time to sort out the cap stuff. When it became apparent they couldn't do that he moved on. So I'm not claiming anything that isn't based on reliable reporting that was available at the time.

In contrast you are speculating that he left because of the style of play of either team and I don't remember seeing that mentioned or even suggested anywhere.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
What's he talking about here? Money.
“I was hoping at the time, before free agency opened, that it could work out, but you know there are cap issues,†Iginla said after the game. “With my family, we wanted to be able to make sure, I’m going to play more than one year, and I didn’t want to just play one year then next year (the Bruins) have even less (cap) room. With all the good, young guys they have coming up, they’ve got to keep room for them and keep signing them. It’s a good problem to have, though, if you’re the Bruins.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/10/jarome-iginla-appreciative-of-warm-reception-in-return-to-td-garden/

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
except what I'm saying is not pure speculation. Don't feel like digging up links, but I'm pretty certain guys like Mackenzie and Lebrun mentioned last summer while he was still a free agent that his first choice was Boston and he was giving them a little time to sort out the cap stuff. When it became apparent they couldn't do that he moved on. So I'm not claiming anything that isn't based on reliable reporting that was available at the time.

In contrast you are speculating that he left because of the style of play of either team and I don't remember seeing that mentioned or even suggested anywhere.

Right, but just because his first choice was to stay in Boston, that does not mean the only reason he went to Colorado was money. Maybe it had to do with him wanting more term than Boston could or would offer. As fans, we can speculate, but we don't know. So again, you speculated and it's okay, just like I'm speculating. Either way, the only person who knows why is Iggy.

For the record, I'm not speculating that he disliked Boston, or the style they play. I'm speculating that there was more to his decision than simply money, like the OP suggested. That's it. I merely offered those up as examples of possibilities. Not of any certainty.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
What's he talking about here? Money.
“I was hoping at the time, before free agency opened, that it could work out, but you know there are cap issues,” Iginla said after the game. “With my family, we wanted to be able to make sure, I’m going to play more than one year, and I didn’t want to just play one year then next year (the Bruins) have even less (cap) room. With all the good, young guys they have coming up, they’ve got to keep room for them and keep signing them. It’s a good problem to have, though, if you’re the Bruins.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/10/jarome-iginla-appreciative-of-warm-reception-in-return-to-td-garden/

Sounds like he's talking about his family, term, and money.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Do people forget that Colorado was just as good as Boston that year?

Not like Iggy said, pay me so I can play on a ****** team. Colorado looked to be a team on the rise for a LONG time.

They overachieved tough. They not only surprised making the playoffs but they finished 1st in the West!

They are in a very tough division with Chi-Stl-Nsh-Min-Win-Dal. They had 90pts last year but were last in the division!

The upside is there.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Or maybe Iggy didn't enjoy his time in Boston, playing the style they play.

For the record, I'm not speculating that he disliked Boston, or the style they play. I'm speculating that there was more to his decision than simply money, like the OP suggested. That's it. I merely offered those up as examples of possibilities. Not of any certainty.

Don't ever change, Lonnie. :shakehead

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
If the Tour de France was pedaled backwards, we'd have another Lance Armstrong, without the drugs. :sarcasm:

Reminds me of a poster who kept yapping that Eriksson's scoring went down 5 straight years til this year. I pointed out that 2 of those years his point totals went up as his goals went down. 2 more times he posts the same thing,that he's trending down in goal scoring,ignoring the fact his point totals increased in 2 of those years. The same poster kept pointing out to me that Seguin's assists were going up when I was pointing out his 4 goals in 20 games drought months ago. It's all about what fits your agenda or whose opinion you want to try to discount.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'd be happy to slow it down and explain it all to you, but seeing as reason and logic are not your strong suit, I'm pretty sure it would be a lost cause.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Reminds me of a poster who kept yapping that Eriksson's scoring went down 5 straight years til this year. I pointed out that 2 of those years his point totals went up as his goals went down. 2 more times he posts the same thing,that he's trending down in goal scoring,ignoring the fact his point totals increased in 2 of those years. The same poster kept pointing out to me that Seguin's assists were going up when I was pointing out his 4 goals in 20 games drought.

There are a few memes on this board that are preached as truth and they are as far from it as can be:

1) Nobody complained about Phil Kessel's soft game and lack of conditioning before the was traded.

2) Nobody complained about Seguin's partying and lack of puck battle before he was traded.

No matter how many times these are pointed out as being false, some posters keep repeating them. Let's hop the "Iggy didn't enjoy his time in Boston, playing the style they play" doesn't end up the same.

Last edited:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I'd be happy to slow it down and explain it all to you, but seeing as reason and logic are not your strong suit, I'm pretty sure it would be a lost cause.

I'm not interested in your "logic". I'm pretty familiar with the "I'll say anything as long as it fits my agenda, the truth be damned!" technique. Your posts are really not that obtuse.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
when I can get Lonnie to move the goalposts then I consider that a sort of victory because that's the closest he ever comes to conceding a point in a debate.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
when I can get Lonnie to move the goalposts then I consider that a sort of victory because that's the closest he ever comes to conceding a point in a debate.

Go back and reread then, because everything I said in my response to BNHL was based on maybe, as in speculation because nobody besides Iggy knows anything. So no goal post moving is needed, when again, the main people with the bias in this thread are pretending the bias belongs elsewhere.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
There are a few memes on this board that are preached as truth and they are as far from it as can be:

1) Nobody complained about Phil Kessel's soft game and lack of conditioning before the was traded.

2) Nobody complained about Seguin's partying and lack of puck battle before he was traded.

No matter how many times these are pointed out as being false, some posters keep repeating them. Let's hop the "Iggy didn't enjoy his time in Boston, playing the style they play" doesn't end up the same.

I'm not releasing myself from the contradictory posting crowd but usually I contradict myself over a longer period,not the same hour.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Big picture or little picture? Let's argue semantics instead of the actual point. Nobody said definitely that Iggy hated boston, it was thrown out as a possible reason why he left. Along with a myriad of other possible reasons. Because everything everyone offered up is nothing but speculation.

Now onto the matter at hand: The only crowd trying to drowned out any actual discussion on this topic are the people who keep screaming it was about money, and won't except anything else as being possible. Sure it was. Along with term. And situation. So by default it was never about just money. Even the link BNHL provided talks about his family, and the term along with the money. So again, it wasn't just about the money.

The fact that you don't understand the logic or don't get it doesn't make it less true.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
Big picture or little picture? Let's argue semantics instead of the actual point. Nobody said definitely that Iggy hated boston, it was thrown out as a possible reason why he left. Along with a myriad of other possible reasons. Because everything everyone offered up is nothing but speculation.

Now onto the matter at hand: The only crowd trying to drowned out any actual discussion on this topic are the people who keep screaming it was about money, and won't except anything else as being possible. Sure it was. Along with term. And situation. So by default it was never about just money. Even the link BNHL provided talks about his family, and the term along with the money. So again, it wasn't just about the money.

The fact that you don't understand the logic or don't get it doesn't make it less true.

Well said throughout. Attacking you about bias and speculation while failing to acknowledge that the entire premise of the thread itself is based on speculation and bias towards the player is rather hypocritical. Seems pretty unfair honestly.

The interesting part is people were all too willing to forgive Iginla when he became a Bruin after doing something (in my opinion) far shiftier the year before at the trade deadline. I guess it's easier to understand and accept a players motivations when they are wearing your favorite teams jersey.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I've always said (and it may be easy to say this cos I haven't been in the position) but if I actually wanted to play for a certain team, I would take a discount if need be. Lucic saying he doesn't wanna play anywhere else, if Boston can only afford to pay him 4million then take it, I would.

I really don't get the money thing with athletes, don't even get me started on baseball.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As I look around the teams in my town it seems the only option is to spend to keep a team together.. The baseball team is an utter failure. I keep on hearing the B,s will have to spend or lose a developing star.. I dont begrudge a player earning an good living ,but when is enough..I look around the league and see player after player who has played for many teams.. 23 is not the age to think about how to live after retirement .. Or am the only board member that worked into his 60s?

Nope. I am still working and I am over 60. If I could I would retire today.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Go back and reread then, because everything I said in my response to BNHL was based on maybe, as in speculation because nobody besides Iggy knows anything. So no goal post moving is needed, when again, the main people with the bias in this thread are pretending the bias belongs elsewhere.

So now you ARE speculating? Make up your mind!

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

You are flipping back and forth on this one. You need to decide a stance and stick with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad