Money Money Money

OLD51JOHN

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
As I look around the teams in my town it seems the only option is to spend to keep a team together.. The baseball team is an utter failure. I keep on hearing the B,s will have to spend or lose a developing star.. I dont begrudge a player earning an good living ,but when is enough..I look around the league and see player after player who has played for many teams.. 23 is not the age to think about how to live after retirement .. Or am the only board member that worked into his 60s?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
As I look around the teams in my town it seems the only option is to spend to keep a team together.. The baseball team is an utter failure. I keep on hearing the B,s will have to spend or lose a developing star.. I dont begrudge a player earning an good living ,but when is enough..I look around the league and see player after player who has played for many teams.. 23 is not the age to think about how to live after retirement .. Or am the only board member that worked into his 60s?

Reminds me of Iginla leaving for more money after earning about $80 million in his career. Money trumped another chance at a cup with the Bs,and at his age I found it very telling.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Why should a player who frequently hails from another country take a home town discount just because he's on the team you follow??? Why should they devalue their worth just because you live in the same place they play?

Sports is a business. The only people who are allowed to treat it this way by fans seemingly are the owners. It's stupid. If a player wants to move on to a place like Ciolumbus because of the warmer weather and zoos, while being paid more along the way, I'm fine with that. It's on the team for not doing enough to make said player want to stay.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Reminds me of Iginla leaving for more money after earning about $80 million in his career. Money trumped another chance at a cup with the Bs,and at his age I found it very telling.

Or maybe Iggy didn't enjoy his time in Boston, playing the style they play.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI

Quite the opposite. Better planning earlier = earlier retirement with more money.

The more you can save early on compounds many times over with ever increasing incremental returns

Regarding athletes, the average career is around 5 years. I will never fault them for making as much as they can while they can. Teams have no loyalty, why should the players

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Very telling indeed. It's like he gave it a shot, winning a Cup (Pitt and Boston), failed, and went back after the money.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Quite the opposite. Better planning earlier = earlier retirement with more money.

The more you can save early on compounds many times over with ever increasing incremental returns

If people were better planners,there'd be very few season ticket holders on this forum. Most people don't save nearly enough and others can't make enough.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
You mean he didn't enjoy dominating the NHL and wanted a tougher challenge?

Everything I've read said he loved it here,the city,the schools and the team.
NESN;Iginla, who called his brief stint in Boston “one of the best (years) of (his) career,†said he initially was hoping he’d get to spend another season in black and gold. When it became clear he eventually would have to move on, however, the veteran winger chose to do so sooner rather than later.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/10/jarome-iginla-appreciative-of-warm-reception-in-return-to-td-garden/

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You mean he didn't enjoy dominating the NHL and wanted a tougher challenge?

I don't know. I simply offered a possible reason why he left instead of it being all about the money. I'm sure the money helped, but he left for a team with a very talented core of young players on the rise, that play a speed game, and where a player with his physical skills can really make an impact/compliment the speed.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I don't know. I simply offered a possible reason why he left instead of it being all about the money. I'm sure the money helped, but he left for a team with a very talented core of young players on the rise, that play a speed game, and where a player with his physical skills can really make an impact/compliment the speed.

Sure Colorado has a young team and finished 1st in the West the previous year. But that 13-14 Avs team was predicted to miss the playoffs and surprised many. They fall back on earth last year and missed the playoffs. Yes they have a young team and should be on the upswing but they are in a very tough division making it tough on them.

For me, he left for the term and the money. He also choose a team that has some potential. No hard feeling. He was great as a Bruins in his year. He was a perfect fit to Krejci+Lucic and that line as well as the team was totally dominating the league that year except for that total disapointin 7 games upset loss to a team they should have beaten. Would have liked if he has stayed and was saying at the time we should have traded Seids and his 4M to make it work.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
Maybe it was a bit of both, perhaps Iginla wanted to play for a team that he thought stood a chance at winning and he wanted get paid. Not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive?

In hindsight Colorado wasn't a great choice but then again, neither was Boston. Out of 82 Boston only won two more games.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Maybe it was a bit of both, perhaps Iginla wanted to play for a team that he thought stood a chance at winning and he wanted get paid. Not sure why the two have to be mutually exclusive?

In hindsight Colorado wasn't a great choice but then again, neither was Boston. Out of 82 Boston only won two more games.

How much more games the Bruins would have won with Iginla?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Sure Colorado has a young team and finished 1st in the West the previous year. But that 13-14 Avs team was predicted to miss the playoffs and surprised many. They fall back on earth last year and missed the playoffs. Yes they have a young team and should be on the upswing but they are in a very tough division making it tough on them.

For me, he left for the term and the money. He also choose a team that has some potential. No hard feeling. He was great as a Bruins in his year. He was a perfect fit to Krejci+Lucic and that line as well as the team was totally dominating the league that year except for that total disapointin 7 games upset loss to a team they should have beaten. Would have liked if he has stayed and was saying at the time we should have traded Seids and his 4M to make it work.

I agree,he probably wouldn't have left for Arizona,but he's telling ya he wanted to be paid and he wanted it for more than 1 year.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
How much more games the Bruins would have won with Iginla?

Is this a question that has just started this year? How could anyone possibly know the answer to that? It seems like such a silly exercise each time it's asked. Perhaps more, perhaps less, perhaps we never get looks at guys like Pastrnak or Spooner and don't benefit from their outputs. We'll never know.

Iginla went to a strong Colorado team and got paid. Why would he stay with a strong team who couldn't pay him? I think people too often forget this is a job to these guys. I think it's a bit misguided to assume a player getting close to retirement will throw financial concerns out the window for a chance to win the cup. More often then not both aspects of that equation will come in to play, money and a chance to win.

I know if I were in that situation and I had to choose between winning a cup or a few million to add to my bank which would end up improving mine and my families life for years to come, cup be damned. We're fans though so it is likely an easier conclusion for us to come to.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Is this a question that has just started this year? How could anyone possibly know the answer to that? It seems like such a silly exercise each time it's asked. Perhaps more, perhaps less, perhaps we never get looks at guys like Pastrnak or Spooner and don't benefit from their outputs. We'll never know.

Iginla went to a strong Colorado team and got paid. Why would he stay with a strong team who couldn't pay him? I think people too often forget this is a job to these guys. I think it's a bit misguided to assume a player getting close to retirement will throw financial concerns out the window for a chance to win the cup. More often then not both aspects of that equation will come in to play, money and a chance to win.

I know if I were in that situation and I had to choose between winning a cup or a few million to add to my bank which would end up improving mine and my families life for years to come, cup be damned. We're fans though so it is likely an easier conclusion for us to come to.

I just meant that your comparaison was a little off.

You said that the Bruins weren't a great choice either/contender and that Colorado got only 2 less wins than the Bruins last year. So the Avs, even with Iginla, got less wins that a Bruins-less Iginla team.

That's what I meant.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

He made 80 million til then and now 84 instead of 81! Are you ******** me? He'd have generations of his family that can be loafers either way.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
He made 80 million til then and now 84 instead of 81! Are you ******** me? He'd have generations of his family that can be loafers either way.

So he should take less because you've decided he's made enough? Not buying it. It doesn't matter whether he's got enough money in your opinion or not. If he takes less, that money still goes somewhere. If not to the player, then it lines the pockets of an owner. And last time I checked, a guy like Jacobs has more money than all the players, yet he's not giving fans free tickets and free beer when they come, is he? Why does the principle of he's got enough apply to only the player, but not ownership? At the end of the day, it's a business. And if Iginla can get paid significantly more for a longer time than he would have in Boston, it's his right to take it. No need to pass judgement on the guy for doing it either. Boston didn't have enough term and length to make him stick around. Blame the front office and not the player for that.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown

I think a lot of these arguments in this thread are informed by hindsight bias.

After the brilliant run that Colorado had late in 2013/14, with so many young and up and coming stars (Nathan MacKinnon looked like he was going to break out already as an elite forward by 2014/15), I don't think Iginla thought he was going to a loser team for money. I think he was going to a team the obliterated all expectations, were young, talented, likely could go even further in the playoffs with his leadership/scoring, while also having the cap space to pay Iginla fair market value for his excellent scoring touch.

And boy, did we miss that scoring touch last year...

member 96824

Quite the contrary.

Time is the most valuable asset you have: the more you use it, the better off you are.

When you have a career that typically ends before 40 years old, 23 is exactly the time you need to think about how to live after retirement unless you're goal is to end up on an ESPN 30 for 30 special.

Last edited by a moderator:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Or maybe Iggy didn't enjoy his time in Boston, playing the style they play.

he thrived with Krejci and Lucic and by all accounts was willing to take at least a slightly lower salary to say in Boston if they were willing to give him the term he was looking for. IIRC they wouldn't budge off a 1 year deal and he wanted at least 2. Colorado was coming off a very good season and gave him the term and salary so that was enough to trump Boston.

Projecting your own opinion of the Bruins style onto Iginla's decision is just baiting IMO and is really misrepresenting the situation. It was reported by multiple reliable sources that Iginla really liked it in Boston.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
he thrived with Krejci and Lucic and by all accounts was willing to take at least a slightly lower salary to say in Boston if they were willing to give him the term he was looking for. IIRC they wouldn't budge off a 1 year deal and he wanted at least 2. Colorado was coming off a very good season and gave him the term and salary so that was enough to trump Boston.

Projecting your own opinion of the Bruins style onto Iginla's decision is just baiting IMO and is really misrepresenting the situation. It was reported by multiple reliable sources that Iginla really liked it in Boston.

No bias at all. I'm simply not quite as sure as the OP that Iginla left for just more money. Whether he liked it here or thought that Colorado was going to get better if he went there are perfectly fine reasons aside from just the money, no? Blanket statements like "how much is enough" or "he has enough money for his entire family to do whatever they want" show far more bias than what I said, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad