WWE: Monday Night Raw 152 - watching the ratings is more entertaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
They are burning out their audience. I have no desire to watch this much wrestling, especially with these storylines. Why do they constantly think "more = better"?

I agree with you. It's really hard to invest as much time into WWE as they're asking. 19 PPVs, Raw, Smackdown, NXT, Network Specials (included CWC). It's an appalling amount of wrestling. I missed Clash of Champions and didn't feel bad. It's hard enough to dedicate 3 hours to RAW every week let alone 3+ for a PPV every two and Smackdown on top of that.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It's amazing to me just seeing this steady decline. Just sliding further and further.

It's baffling how this company can look at the numbers declining every single year except for one period in the 2013 fall when the average rose thanks to Daniel Bryan's run all over the show and then go do their conference calls for shareholders and say "ratings don't matter". Their biggest revenue source is from TV and ratings determine how much you're going to get on your deals.

I have tables for the fall season back to 2012 (after the 3-hour switch) and back for the RTWM season up to 2013 (first one with the 3-hour switch). Neither are pretty to look at.

The table again, cause new page:

You can pinpoint the exact day where things went to **** the past two years:

y3ZBoSz.png

I have tables like this comparing it up to the 2012 ratings, too.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
More with the ratings, this time demo wise:

Remember that discussion we had in the past, it might have been in the business thread, where the majority of WWE fans are 50+? Well the demos seem to point to it...

For this week's show, every single demo was led by the "People 50+" demographic.

1st hour
P 50+: 1.16
M 18-49: 1.13
P 25-54: 1.08

2nd hour
P 50+: 0.96
M 18-49: 0.90
P 25-54: 0.89

3rd hour
P 50+: 0.91
M 18-49: 0.86
M 12-34: 0.84

:laugh:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I remember when they did the brand split the first time around. After a little bit, PPV's were simply divided up amongs the shows outside of the big 4. Each show got 4, and rotated months. The builds, storylines and fan in general tended to benefit.

Now though? Let's give ALL the PPV's to both shows! It's too ****ing much give there's one like every 2-3 weeks now. Especially when people want to watch football that night.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I agree with you. It's really hard to invest as much time into WWE as they're asking. 19 PPVs, Raw, Smackdown, NXT, Network Specials (included CWC). It's an appalling amount of wrestling. I missed Clash of Champions and didn't feel bad. It's hard enough to dedicate 3 hours to RAW every week let alone 3+ for a PPV every two and Smackdown on top of that.

That's true. What about main event, superstars, pre show and all the other stuff that does not impact the story line. Do people still watch those shows?

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Nobody is forcing us to watch all the shows they have. If they have 2-3 quality shows a week, week by week, most of us would be pretty satisfied.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
That's true. What about main event, superstars, pre show and all the other stuff that does not impact the story line. Do people still watch those shows?

I would imagine there would be otherwise there'd be no point to produce them.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I would imagine there would be otherwise there'd be no point to produce them.

I don't know. Main Event & Superstars air on the network, but they may only be produced still because of contracts with other countries. I can't imagine anyone really watching Main Event or Superstars on the network.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
All the articles about how this might be monday night footballs lowest ratings. Add the Kapernick and National Anthem controversy and every week has been getting lower and lower from the previous seasons.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
MNF has the same problem WWE has to an extent; there's nothing worth watching (though obviously WWE is more in control of their problems)

Since it moved to ESPN, MNF has gotten totally screwed by the scheduling. A barrage of games that don't matter and/or crappy on paper. This year alone they've gotten;

Pittsburgh vs Washington (garbage team, game over by half)
LA Vs San Francisco (Return of the Rams to LA, except the game was not in LA, two crappy teams again)
Chicago vs Philly (crappy team vs surprisingly good team, game over by 3rd quarter)
New Orleans vs Atlanta (two crappy teams, surprisingly good game but no one cared)

If anything to the NFL, Sunday night is the new football night since they get almost all of the big ticket games. This year they've gotten Pats/Cards, Cowboys/Bears (despite the mediocrity, the Cowboys still draw eyes to the game) and the Packers/Vikings (historic rivalry)

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I have also noticed wwe has been doing a lot less of the

"Did You Know?" graphic, with a list of tv shows that they compare themselves to. Do they do social media numbers time to time or have they stopped with that also?

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Viewer burnout is very likely the cause of all this but the biggest problem is that WWE doesn't have anything pushing it to be a better product. The complacency within the company has been evident for years now as ratings today are probably half of what they were 10 years ago.

There's very simple and effective solutions to Raw's problem

1. Cut the 3rd hour unless it's bringing beaucoup bucks
2. Stop with immortal babyfaces and make anyone capable of losing on any given night
- The fact John Cena actually lost to Ambrose was world shocking
3. Make the characters more unpredictable
4. Bring up prospects with more emphasis on mic work
5. Give the wrestlers more catch phrases like Enzo & Cass
- The reason they are so over is because the audience can participate like it's 1999
6. Allow the wrestlers to create themselves
- Jesse Ventura had a very polite shoot (if you even want to call it that) where as nicely as he can he said he disliked the current WWE product because everyone follows a script and they have no freedom to be themselves

And a last suggestion to help appeal to the young male demographic

Actually utilize weapons from time to time

- I'm pretty sure Roman fired the first chair shot of the "new era" on Raw that I can remember and it took over 2 months

6 months of this and you probably boost your hardcore viewers to 2.25 million because there's probably that many who scroll by Raw on Mondays and just say, "Aw forget it wrestling sucks now" even though they are fans

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I have also noticed wwe has been doing a lot less of the

"Did You Know?" graphic, with a list of tv shows that they compare themselves to. Do they do social media numbers time to time or have they stopped with that also?

Yeah and it's about damn time too. I could not stand watching them brag while giving me a crappy show about Hornswoggle being McMahon's illegitimate child

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Viewer burnout is very likely the cause of all this but the biggest problem is that WWE doesn't have anything pushing it to be a better product. The complacency within the company has been evident for years now as ratings today are probably half of what they were 10 years ago.

There's very simple and effective solutions to Raw's problem

1. Cut the 3rd hour unless it's bringing beaucoup bucks
2. Stop with immortal babyfaces and make anyone capable of losing on any given night
- The fact John Cena actually lost to Ambrose was world shocking
3. Make the characters more unpredictable
4. Bring up prospects with more emphasis on mic work
5. Give the wrestlers more catch phrases like Enzo & Cass
- The reason they are so over is because the audience can participate like it's 1999
6. Allow the wrestlers to create themselves
- Jesse Ventura had a very polite shoot (if you even want to call it that) where as nicely as he can he said he disliked the current WWE product because everyone follows a script and they have no freedom to be themselves

And a last suggestion to help appeal to the young male demographic

Actually utilize weapons from time to time

- I'm pretty sure Roman fired the first chair shot of the "new era" on Raw that I can remember and it took over 2 months

6 months of this and you probably boost your hardcore viewers to 2.25 million because there's probably that many who scroll by Raw on Mondays and just say, "Aw forget it wrestling sucks now" even though they are fans

3rd hour brings in money for USA. WWE doesn't even want it, but USA wants it.

I don't think any of those things will matter in bringing anyone back. It just takes good, consistent booking - something WWE has shown they're incapable of doing.

This is what wrestling is now. As WWE's audience has dropped, it seems (at least to me, maybe I'm wrong) that other wrestling promotions on the indies are growing and getting a bit more exposure, but this is what wrestling is. It's big niche.

Truth be told, if it weren't for this board I probably would have stopped watching after Daniel Bryan was forced to retire.

Hey MCG didn't know you posted on the wrestling forum. Hows the community over there?

Bad lol. I only really post there in the match/dvd/etc discussion thread and for the fantasy hockey.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007

I don't think any of those things will matter in bringing anyone back. It just takes good, consistent booking - something WWE has shown they're incapable of doing.

This is what wrestling is now. As WWE's audience has dropped, it seems (at least to me, maybe I'm wrong) that other wrestling promotions on the indies are growing and getting a bit more exposure, but this is what wrestling is. It's big niche.

Truth be told, if it weren't for this board I probably would have stopped watching after Daniel Bryan was forced to retire.

Bad lol. I only really post there in the match/dvd/etc discussion thread and for the fantasy hockey.

I check in time to time on the site to read about rumors and possible match ups. They are really fast over there for keeping up to date. Noticed you because of your in depth analysis and charts.:laugh:

You are good at informing people with statistics.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It's mostly a bunch of 13-year-old trolls over there anyways. That's why I stick to that one thread and the hockey/fantasy hockey stuff.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Well define "good, consistent booking" because if you actually change the recipe WWE has been following you'd have just that.

Let's review the recipe Raw has been following

- Toned down characters who aren't interesting
- Toned down promos that inspire little to no imagination or energy
- Top faces don't lose unless it's a screwy finish
- The same tag team champions for 400 days
- Overexposure to authority figures that does nothing but pump up their ego
- Squash matches that contribute nothing

lmao as I type this Ambrose says "This is a PG show"

That's all we need to leave from

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
Well they're incapable of making babyfaces or treating their champions with anything close to respect, so that's an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad