Pre-Game Talk: Monday gezame: Toronto Maple Leafs vs New Jersey Devils

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think it's pronounced "Giz-aim"

Had no idea there was even a game today, gonna be a good Monday (I hope) We should have this fairly easily. I like going back to the original lines. The new line combos weren't really working against Detroit, we dominated the game once Keefe went back to these lines. Huge back to back opportunity. Boston lost, we have 2 games in hand. Getting 4 points here would give us a comfortable cushion over them for 3rd in the Atlantic. With the games in hand we may even jump up to 2nd if we play well enough.

Reactions: Coachcorner
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Time for one of them to be sat every game. They are getting older, we have a ton of games in a low amount of days.

At some point we need to play Ritchie and let him at least try to show some value, or play Clifford and keep him a bit fresher.

Clifford Engval Simmonds
Ritchie Engval Spezza
Ritchie Engval Simmonds
Clifford Engval Spezza

I dont care which, but dont just bench guys for weeks at a time when the 4th line is old and playing uninspired hockey.

Clifford shouldn't play another game for us. He makes that 4th line virtually unplayable against decent teams

Don't mind giving Ritchie another shot, but I'd like to see Anderson get another call up and play a string of games here

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Re line up: I’m not sure we need to spread out the offence in New Jersey. Maybe something we implement in a game with a true shutdown line? I would’ve liked to see it a little longer though.

spreading out the minutes must be a tough task too.

next experiment I want:
Bunting Mathews Kase
Nylander Tavares Marner

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
At least we'd have home ice advantage!
Now that's gangsta right thurr sire. :clap: WE HARD. We also the best like khaled knew. Imagine how gezoals we gon score against that japanese goalie Akira Schmidt tonight sire. The answer = Many.

Reactions: al secord

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Well, you would think that Keefe must have believed the new combos were a good idea if he implemented them, but he only stuck with them for 40 mins (approx). If Keefe actually believed in the new combos, it seems odd to me that he would expect them to not need some time to develop. So I wonder if he actually thought up the new lines by himself or was it someone else's idea that he just went along with? If it was his idea, why did he just give up on them because it didn't work right away, or was he somehow influenced by others to revert back to the familiar lines?
Seems like your "looking under the surface" is really just making assumptions and suggestions based on nothing.

Keefe did think those lines were a good idea, as an experiment. It was never intended to be a permanent change, and I'm not sure why anybody thought it was. Keefe understands that our usual setup is ideal, but with a fully healthy forward group for the first time all year, he wanted to try out different combinations and looks. With the new lines not clicking all that well in the 5 periods he kept it together, and the usual lines back together igniting an explosion of offense and a multi-goal 3rd period comeback, it's a pretty obvious choice to go with the usual lines for this game.

There's nothing to suggest that he's being "influenced by others", or that he's implementing "somebody else's ideas". You just seemed to get the wrong idea about what Keefe was doing and why. He's going to continue to try stuff out during the season, but that doesn't mean sticking with it when it doesn't work and abandoning a superior setup that is working.

Reactions: stickty111

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Allowed is one thing. Will they actually be there or are they waiting until after the all-star break to actually do it?
They cancelled all tickets.

From the Leafs
The province has capped capacity at 500 individuals for the period January 31 - February 21 and all tickets for the following games will be cancelled. Your money will remain on account as credit.

• January 31 vs New Jersey - Originally scheduled for January 17th
• February 7 vs. Carolina - Originally scheduled for January 3
• February 17 vs. Pittsburgh - Originally scheduled for December 29
• February 19 vs. St. Louis - Originally scheduled December 23

Reactions: keonsbitterness

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Leafs have played 5 fewer than both Panthers and Lightning. Hopefully they make use of the games in hand.

No sign of Muzzin. Maybe coming on for practice later. Looks like he'll most likely not play until after the all star break. Make sure he's good to go.

Thank god we are back to the real lines

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I love the "great coaching, they needed to have new lines ready to go for the playoffs and now is the time to try it."
It lasts two periods, "great coaching, those lines weren't working smart to go back to what works".

Love this place. :laugh:

I am being silly but I kind of want Keefe to run an NFL pro style offense. Constantly changing personal and formations throughout the game based on score where the puck is

Reactions: wingman75

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I am being silly but I kind of want Keefe to run an NFL pro style offense. Constantly changing personal and formations throughout the game based on score where the puck is
I think he's very good at changing it up when they have an offensive faceoff or after a PK.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I think he's very good at changing it up when they have an offensive faceoff or after a PK.

He does do that quite well.

For the two games they tried the new lines, he mixed and matched pretty much all game depending on situation. I give him credit

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Clifford shouldn't play another game for us. He makes that 4th line virtually unplayable against decent teams

Don't mind giving Ritchie another shot, but I'd like to see Anderson get another call up and play a string of games here
By no means am I am fan of Clifford, but if as a team you are keeping him around to play in case of injury the only way for him to get better (or at least not get worse) is to play games.

Ritchie Engval Spezza
Ritchie Engval Simmonds

Whatever it takes to get guys playing games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad