Value of: Monahan

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
yup don't think the two make good partners on him.

I do think Madden would become Calgary's top prospect over Pelletier and Zary, and likely would make the team next season. However given the team did not trade Gio, and has sutter I don't see the Flames interested in futures.
You are severely overrating Madden’s value. He is a future bottom six forward if he makes it to the NHL.

Reactions: Why2Jay

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Vilardi+dump or Debrusk+1st are easy done deals from this Flames fan. I would be overjoyed

yeah while us east coast fans don’t always appreciate when west coast player breakout, we also miss when they fall out of favor sometimes, too.

Something around DeBrusk + a good piece is interesting from a Boston POV, but tough time giving up the first with such an empty system for the Bruins right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: RasmusAndersson

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
What's wrong with Monahan? Talk around here seems like he is a boat anchor to not just the Calgary Flames but to the entire league. What did (or does) he do wrong? I was hoping he would fall to the Devils in 2013, and it seemed to me like he was a solid top six forward. Why the hate for the last two years?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What's wrong with Monahan? Talk around here seems like he is a boat anchor to not just the Calgary Flames but to the entire league. What did (or does) he do wrong? I was hoping he would fall to the Devils in 2013, and it seemed to me like he was a solid top six forward. Why the hate for the last two years?

• Injury plagued season where he essentially was playing on a bad hip after about 16 games this season.
  • Had a rough 2019-2020 season, similar to every other Flame.
  • Plays on a line with a dynamic forward that elevates his point totals. Still, he had a PPG season.
  • Not overly physical, not really tough, some people question the give-a-f*** level if he's not scoring.
  • Not a great defensive player by any stretch.
  • No one really follows Calgary, except Calgary fans, one of the smaller communities on this board; the second most are Oiler fans and your rivals rarely have anything nice to say about your team.
  • There are a number of very vocal people on this board that'd make you believe Monahan was essentially a replacement level player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Could end up being Dumba from Seattle for Monahan after the ED, if things shake out that way.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
#1C , defense and a RW. Whatcha got

I’m in the minority of the Avs camp who is willing to trade Girard and his great contract for a legit 2C to support MacKinnon. Not sure Monahan is that guy though with only two years left.

I liked the idea of Monahan because his two years lines up great with MacKinnon’s so his contract falls off when MacKinnon and Byram raises are due. Then you hope in two years Newhook is ready to take over the 2C position. But that means I’d see him as a pure two year rental.

Monahan probably means more to Calgary than a package the Avs would be willing to give up to get him which is probably some combination of 2021 first (27th I believe), Timmins, Graves, Kaut, Bowers, Compher, Jost.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
What is it with Monahan is he soft? Declining or wants out of Calgary?
I think he looks to be declining because of injuries. We kept playing him when he was injured around February? Why would you do that?? It could make matters worse.

Unless some ridiculous payment came along for Monahan, I think he stays a Flame because he’s worth a hell of a lot more to us than anyone else. If he had value I think he would’ve been traded a while ago.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I’m in the minority of the Avs camp who is willing to trade Girard and his great contract for a legit 2C to support MacKinnon. Not sure Monahan is that guy though with only two years left.

I liked the idea of Monahan because his two years lines up great with MacKinnon’s so his contract falls off when MacKinnon and Byram raises are due. Then you hope in two years Newhook is ready to take over the 2C position. But that means I’d see him as a pure two year rental.

Monahan probably means more to Calgary than a package the Avs would be willing to give up to get him which is probably some combination of 2021 first (27th I believe), Timmins, Graves, Kaut, Bowers, Compher, Jost.

I would personally do it for the late first and Timmins if that were on the table. I was really high on Timmins before he got derailed by the injuries a bit though, maybe more than most

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I would personally do it for the late first and Timmins if that were on the table. I was really high on Timmins before he got derailed by the injuries a bit though, maybe more than most

2021 first + Timmins for Monahan? I'd do it. Timmins could find his way into a top 4 some day, he just won't hit that on the Avs, too many guys in front of him.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Calgary would be selling him at an all time low coming off the year he just had.

Yeah this is it they won’t get good value for him coming off a down year where he needs a pretty important off season surgery. Likely better off waiting

Reactions: Barnaby

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Monahan is a very vanilla player. Jack of all trades player, isn't elite in any areas of his game. Unfortunately he's a passenger on the Flames and not a leader. Needs elite linemates to get the most out of him.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
I see a few scenarios where it makes sense to trade Monahan, most notably:

1. For cap space, after a big fish is acquired. If the Flames do decide to sign a player like Hall or acquire a player like Eichel, I could see Monahan being moved just for the space.
2. For a winger in a hockey trade. If the Flames can acquire a winger with less goal scoring ability, but more size and energy for the top six, a trade makes sense.

Once again, the plan really depends on what's going on with Gaudreau and up front overall.
Monahan + pick/prospect for Wilson?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad