Injury Report: Monahan to undergo season-ending injury on other hip, placed on LTIR; Kylington D2D, Mackey recalled

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well honestly I have no idea how good or bad the trainers have been or are now. There's also off season training which I think players do quite independently, and, again, IIRC Monahan showed up to camp few years ago in not so good condition.
The last 3 or 4 years he has had to rehab in the offseason, if listen to any pro in any sport that makes it extremely hard to actually train and is pretty demoralizing.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No but the problem is him withholding it when its minor and its get progressive worse until the management notices
They didn't do shit until we were eliminated from the playoffs. Let's be real they let him struggle and suffer hoping to squeak into the playoffs and we get to see the consequences of not properly managing our players.

Did they think he had a rock in his shoe every time they saw him limp around for months?

We watched Kylington go head first into the boards leave the game and play a day later and not look right. This is a management problem

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
They didn't do shit until we were eliminated from the playoffs. Let's be real they let him struggle and suffer hoping to squeak into the playoffs and we get to see the consequences of not properly managing our players.
Tbh i didnt watch much last yr so i dont know the specifics. Both both parties has some responsibilities here. Im willing to bet monahans over there saying yea im hurt but i can still go, and managements like sure, go for it.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Did they think he had a rock in his shoe every time they saw him limp around for months?

We watched Kylington go head first into the boards leave the game and play a day later and not look right. This is a management problem
I agree, but it is on monahan too. He has agency on his part, and his decision making might have cost him millions as a result.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Tbh i didnt watch much last yr so i dont know the specifics. Both both parties has some responsibilities here. Im willing to bet monahans over there saying yea im hurt but i can still go, and managements like sure, go for it.
Again Gaudreau said he couldn't walk into the arena he was struggling so bad, everyone knew and did nothing and we shut him down the day we were eliminated. Every pro player ever says they can play it takes a management group thinking long term and looking out for the players to stand up to them and say no

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree, but it is on monahan too. He has agency on his part, and his decision making might have cost him millions as a result.
Every nhl player thinks they can play, I guess you say that's on Monahan but you don't make it to the show without playing through gruesome injuries but successful teams think about their players long term and shut them down when it's in their best interest even if it hurts the team

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Every nhl player thinks they can play, I guess you say that's on Monahan but you don't make it to the show without playing through gruesome injuries but successful teams think about their players long term and shut them down when it's in their best interest even if it hurts the team
At the end of the day he knows his body best. There’s 2 people you never lie to, your doctor and your lawyer. There is a reason for that, and monahan clearly did the former. It’s absolutely a problem that hockey culture pushes this, but monahan is also a 27 year old who can think for himself too.

His “warrior” playing has been a detriment to himself and the team. It’s a massive shame, but if that is how he is wired than it’s only going to cut his career shorter than need be.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Monahan also might have higher than normal pain threshold, so even though he's injured he doesn't feel that bad. Good training staff can make a huge difference there.

Personal experience: I hurt my knee while running some 10 years ago. Went to see doctors once a week for 4 weeks I think until they sent me to MRI, and it turned out there was a stress fracture. The doctor then told me that usually one doesn't get this bad stress fractures from just running. Well no shit, I walked with for 4 weeks because nobody realized what was wrong, of course it got worse in that time.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Well honestly I have no idea how good or bad the trainers have been or are now. There's also off season training which I think players do quite independently, and, again, IIRC Monahan showed up to camp few years ago in not so good condition.
I've heard the exact opposite, so take your source for what it's worth.

Some quick googling on the matter resulted in this article.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
At the end of the day he knows his body best. There’s 2 people you never lie to, your doctor and your lawyer. There is a reason for that, and monahan clearly did the former. It’s absolutely a problem that hockey culture pushes this, but monahan is also a 27 year old who can think for himself too.

His “warrior” playing has been a detriment to himself and the team. It’s a massive shame, but if that is how he is wired than it’s only going to cut his career shorter than need be.
I agree but we don't know he lied he couldn't walk so clearly everyone knew so did his doctor. He obviously told them he can play through it but we all saw him being an awful player to me that's on management. They knew, they saw him being ineffective, they did nothing.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

I dont have any sources, just some vague memories of stuff that might or might not have happened few years ago. No problem admitting I'm wrong here

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I agree but we don't know he lied he couldn't walk so clearly everyone knew so did his doctor. He obviously told them he can play through it but we all saw him being an awful player to me that's on management. They knew, they saw him being ineffective, they did nothing.
Agreed that the team was negligent in their role too. They should’ve stepped in long ago and shut him down. Imagine if we’d done that in 2021 and given Bennett a shot. Maybe we end up making the playoffs…

Reactions: TheHudlinator

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Agreed that the team was negligent in their role too. They should’ve stepped in long ago and shut him down.
My point is every player does what monahan did, they try to play through it. But almost no management group does to their #1 center what we did especially to try and squeak into the playoffs.

You might be able to blame monahan for other injuries but specifically the hip injuries and how they were handled is shameful on this management group.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I’ve always heard the same, if anything Monahan might have been overtraining in the last.

This really sucks. He’s an awesome person, a heckuva athlete and he’s still so young. I wish him all the best.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Saddened for Monahan. I'm not surprised it's come to this, and for the team if this means Ruzicka is a permanent fixture I'm happy he's back. He can contribute so much at his current level.

But for me good ol' flames23, Monahan being the only current player letter'd jersey I own, this hits different.

Get well Mony. We'll see you soon.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
He should retire. Help himself and the Flames. Still young enough for a 2nd career

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hope he can get healthy and get his career back on track, whether it's here or elsewhere. I like to rag on him but having that string of injuries would derail a lot of players. You don't score 212 goals in this league before 30 if you don't have talent.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Just have to feel awful for the individual here. Not even from a hockey perspective but just the toll of having to go through all of these surgeries and getting set back as soon as the light is near the end of hte tunnel. It's really hard to imagine his quality of life won't be hampered big time by all of this. Really wished that someone would've stepped up early on and managed ice time/heavily monitored his health all year to try and catch something like this early, though it could be something that just pops up one of these days and you just gotta do what has to be done.

Who knows how long it's been lingering (wouldn't be surprised if it was first known about a week ago, or if he was dealing with it in training camp) so to an extent I feel this grandstanding on trying to blame the organization or Monahan based on the assumption this has been an ongoing issue real... odd? Disrespectful? I don't know, it sure doesn't feel good though.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Is this what Chicago did a few years ago with their hurt D with a large contract? Those were kind of shenanigans. I hope this isn't that.

*Seabrook

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad