Confirmed with Link: Monahan Signs ELC

TylerSVT*

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 53s
The #Flames have signed 2013 1st round #NHLDraft pick Sean Monahan (@Monahan20) to an entry-level contract ~ http://cflam.es/1aEqrzC

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 1m
"Sean has demonstrated a seriousness of purpose & a steadfast resolve to be the very best player he can be." - Jay Feaster on @Monahan20

Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 48s
"Not only is Sean a very good hockey player, but he is a great person as well." - Jay Feaster on @Monahan20

Last edited by a moderator:

TylerSVT*

Contract terms: Three-year entry level contract with an NHL base salary of $832,500 with a signing bonus of $92,500 each year and an AHL salary of $70,000 per year. There are “A” performance bonuses available ($850,000) in each year so the contract carries an Average Annual Value of $1,775,000 (only if he earns all bonuses).

Good signing

TylerSVT*

Hope he gets his 9 games and then heads down. I dont think he is quite ready yet.

Aug 3, 2010
Too much money over too long of a term especially for unproven talent. Great job Feaster; just another example where this management takes 1 step forward and takes 2 back...:shakehead
amidoinitrite? dff represent! good luck monohan

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Too much money over too long of a term especially for unproven talent. Great job Feaster; just another example where this management takes 1 step forward and takes 2 back...:shakehead
amidoinitrite? dff represent! good luck monohan

...:sarcasm:

EDIT: Damn it, didn't see the white font :laugh:

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I think Monahan plays all year in the NHL. I don't know why he wouldn't. We are not contending for a title so have him play with the best this coming season and then he will fit right in for the 14-15 season.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I think Monahan plays all year in the NHL. I don't know why he wouldn't. We are not contending for a title so have him play with the best this coming season and then he will fit right in for the 14-15 season.
Honestly I don't see a point in returning him to the '67s. If he's going to play on a lousy team, it might as well be NHL calibre lousy.

However, if he's traded to a more competitive team in the OHL, I would prefer he was sent back. A year of winning and (hopefully) dominating could do wonders for his development.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If he can improve his skating, strength and work on his FO's, I think he can play and he should be a finalist for the Calder due to the maturity in his game. He'll get more minutes than Couturier got in his rookie season not playing behind Richards, Briere and Giroux. Let's see how he does in camp, good signing.

r4anders

Jul 22, 2013
I think you're just a feaster hater,If you look at the numbers of any other first round draft pick in the last few years you would see the dollars are right on point with everyone else in terms of ELC signings.

r4anders

Jul 22, 2013
clearly you have knowledge if you are referencing other like players but if i remember correctly Monahan was widely regarded as one of if not the best faceoff center in the draft, Craig Button actually said he was the best face-off player he has ever seen at this stage in his career.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Glad to see that he's signed. Should get his 9 games at least this year. Kinda surprised he didn't sign for the ELC max.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
581434_10151714949658704_1520162875_n.jpg
2003_american_wedding_007.jpg

Zatch

Jul 18, 2013
Lethbridge, Alberta
The resemblance!!

Anyways, I'm happy.

I figure Monahan to be a decent first line center in the NHL when he in his prime. I honestly think he is going to make the club and play his nine games - while giving Feaster and Co. an extremely difficult task with making the decision to keep him on the roster or send him back down to the OHL.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's actually a pretty good deal going forward - I figured he'd get the max ELC bonus structure (similar to what Cervenka got) with the $3.775 million cap hit or whatever.

That $2 million in cap space might come in handy in a couple of years when we're fighting for a playoff spot. ;)

MacKinnon has been the only 2013 draft pick who got the max entry level contract.

In fact, after MacKinnon, the contract cap hits steadily decrease for the next five draft picks, only to jump up again with Nichushkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad