Post-Game Talk: Mon. Oct 24th 2016 | Flyers 1 @ Canadiens 3

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What's happening to Giroux is really best case scenario for us. Obviously as he gets older he's going to score less, like every aging player does, but the fact that he's still able to be over PPG and such an important part of our team, despite being less flashy and quick, means he should be able to remain an important part of the team as he ages. Younger flashier players will pick up his scoring slack as the years pass (Konecny and Ghost) and hopefully the team adding more depth will make Girouxs eventual decline a minor issue.

I don't know why it is such a continually big topic tbh.

If he does not get a bad injury, going off other similar level centres and their declines he should still be a 65+ point guy/82gp at ~age 34. Especially as he is a pass first guy (passing does not decline half as much as shots) and a PP whiz (PP productivity is not affected very much by age.)

I know people are naturally inclided to worry... but 7 of the top 17 Assist Per Game leaders (300+ gp) since 2010 were 30 to start the decade!

Giroux is almost certainly not going to be a 25+ goal guy into his 30's... but there is no statistical or logical reason he can not put up ~45+ assists a year still.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't know why it is such a continually big topic tbh.

If he does not get a bad injury, going off other similar level centres and their declines he should still be a 65+ point guy/82gp at ~age 34. Especially as he is a pass first guy (passing does not decline half as much as shots) and a PP whiz (PP productivity is not affected very much by age.)

I know people are naturally inclided to worry... but 7 of the top 17 Assist Per Game leaders (300+ gp) since 2010 were 30 to start the decade!

Giroux is almost certainly not going to be a 25+ goal guy into his 30's... but there is no statistical or logical reason he can not put up ~45+ assists a year still.

Yeah. He never relied on speed or strength, he's become what he is because of hockey IQ and playmaking skill/vision. Those things don't really go away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad