Speculation: Molson's Move

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd say Molson will be standing pat.

When Gauthier was on his last season, he waited til the Habs were mathematically eliminated before terminating him. He's going to be continuing to drink the kool-aid otherwise he'd lose face big time for handing that lofty contract extension to Bergevin.

Geoff, a good move is not just taking Metamucil. Cut-cut-cut the bozo you mindlessly trusted to run manage your team.

I think Geoff wants to avoid the whole hiring process of a new GM as he is not qualified to hire a GM or to interview them. Last time Savard handled it right? If Bergevin goes, expect us to hire a President so he can search for the new GM.

I know some don't like Roy but I would love to have him back with us. His passion, intensity, and will to win is what we need. He would just need a good mentor. He's a popular choice I'll get heat for... Bergevin as president (or insert name here_____) and Roy as GM? Thoughts?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think we're passed the tipping point, but I think Geoff's got hundred dollar bills in his ears.

I don't know that I'd trust Molson to hire the next guy. MLSE did a good thing and brought in Leiweke to do the hiring. I don't know that 'guy' could be for Montreal. If it were me, this would be my process:

1. Bergevin, Dudley, Carierre are all gone. See ya.

At the bare minimum.

2. Interview process begins. Julien Brisebois is on my list regardless of the language issue. he knows the organization, has a keen business mind, and has worked very well in a deep organization in Tampa. GM of AHL team, oversees contracts for both clubs, manages the cap, assists Yzerman, etc. He may not be a traditional hockey guy, but we see where that's gotten us. If he wants a traditional guy, and maybe mentor, as an assistant that would be his prerogative.

Agreed.

3. New GM sits down with current NHL coaching staff. If they're not on the same page, they're gone. I don't care if Molson has to eat the 4 years or whatever remaining on Julien's deal. Determine the NHL coaching group before moving on to Laval. If the NHL remains, dump Sly to the curb and hire an up and comer who comes from a winner and works well with young players. Well beyond time for a change in the AHL.

Julien will probably stay and I don't think that's a bad thing. I'd expect most, if not all of the remaining staff gone though.

4. Sell off Pacioretty and/or Gallagher. The former isn't a good captain, but his production and contract should be worth good futures. Gallagher is a warrior, but I worry about his long term health. I think his value is as high as it will be. Both guys can/should get firsts this year. Deal players to teams likely to miss, or on the bubble and might. Hope for additional lottery picks.

Neither player will be moved to a non-playoff team, since those teams aren't going to want to trade futures. Trade Patches if a GREAT deal is available, preferably with a really good prospect. Otherwise, why bother. Gallagher's long term health is a worry, but probably not for a while. And his contract is AMAZING, which the org needs to combat some of the awful contracts on this team. Trade him if someone blows your socks off, but the default mindset should be to keep him.

5. Tank for Dahlin. Along with the picks acquired for players in #4, you drastically alter your make in a deep draft and likely end up with at least 2 guys who'll be ready for the NHL next year. If you lucked out and managed to get a Svechnikov or Zadina to go with Dahlin, you're in great shape.

Montreal probably wont end up with a very good shot at Dahlin. The concern should be adding a very good piece and building up an average at best prospect pool.

6. Make Weber captain. Let him mentor Dahlin for a year.

IF Montreal gets Dahlin, which isn't likely.

7. Make a push for Tavares and/or Turris to address center issues.

It'd have to be a pretty impressive sell to get either to go to Montreal with hoe bad Montreal has been.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
I think Geoff wants to avoid the whole hiring process of a new GM as he is not qualified to hire a GM or to interview them. Last time Savard handled it right? If Bergevin goes, expect us to hire a President so he can search for the new GM.

I know some don't like Roy but I would love to have him back with us. His passion, intensity, and will to win is what we need. He would just need a good mentor. He's a popular choice I'll get heat for... Bergevin as president (or insert name here_____) and Roy as GM? Thoughts?

My problem with Roy is his evaluation of talent is suspicious. His passion an intensity is awesome, but I think sometimes he is blinded by it. I also feel that much like Bergevin, he is likes to suit his own agenda redardless.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
My problem with Roy is his evaluation of talent is suspicious. His passion an intensity is awesome, but I think sometimes he is blinded by it. I also feel that much like Bergevin, he is likes to suit his own agenda redardless.

Passion + Intensity isn't good for a GM. Especially Roy's. Montreal needs management that is creative, considered and uses every possible to available to them. Roy isn't much of a departure from Bergevin. Old school, ex-player, scouting oriented with clear preferences and biases.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

What I see happening is Bergevin losing his job as GM but remaining on as president. Especially since he is under contract.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
What I see happening is Bergevin losing his job as GM but remaining on as president. Especially since he is under contract.

He can go scout in Florida with his buddy for a couple of years, or become a real estate broker and sell condos for Molson.
He does not have what it takes to be a President.

Bring in Larry Robinson

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think the point of bringing in a President now would be to have him act as the interim until the season is over and MB "resigns". He'd supervise the firesale of guys like Plekanec, Shaw, Alzner for picks at the deadline. New GM then comes in during the off-season and decides the fate of Pacioretty, Weber and Price.

There needs to be a structured unloading of useless assets. The GM in place has overvalued players that other teams have happily unloaded on his lap. He can't be trusted to lead the process.

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
At this point it's too late to do anything.

I mean realistically, what more damage can Bergevin do? He's already ruined this team for many years to come. ...

Bergevin can still do a lot of damage in the form of making short term deals to save his job, by sacrificing futures. He could add even more bad contracts to players on the decline. He can multiply patchwork moves that will tie his successor's hands even more. It's a runaway train that's on a path to self-destruction, Geoff has to stop sugarcoating this.

Campbell on 690 thinks it's just a bad stretch, cause they've been facing tough teams. It'll get better when they play weaker teams. :laugh:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Leafs fan starts a thread bashing the Habs.

OP has posted in here many times and has always been respectful.

On that note, as much as I’d like to see MB jettisoned, nothing is going to happen on Molson’s part until the offseason. Assuming we are out of a playoff spot by end of November, we may see an assistant coach let go at worst, but that is also unlikely.

I also don’t expect us to start selling, if we’re out of the playoffs, until the TDL. Trading now, from a position of weakness, would be terrible for us since everyone is playing below value.

Reactions: Runner77

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
OP has posted in here many times and has always been respectful.

On that note, as much as I’d like to see MB jettisoned, nothing is going to happen on Molson’s part until the offseason. Assuming we are out of a playoff spot by end of November, we may see an assistant coach let go at worst, but that is also unlikely.

I also don’t expect us to start selling, if we’re out of the playoffs, until the TDL. Trading now, from a position of weakness, would be terrible for us since everyone is playing below value.

If we are out of the playoffs in November, we should sell and play de la Rose, McCarron, Sherbak, Lernout, Lindgren (etc). Let's trade: Plekanec with salary retained, Montoya, Benn, Morrow, Shaw (without retaining), let go Hemsky.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
At this point it's too late to do anything.

I mean realistically, what more damage can Bergevin do? He's already ruined this team for many years to come.

We are loaded with bad contracts for the next 5-10 years. Loaded.

We have no prospects worth anything at all.

We have draft picks, I suppose he could **** that up, but in the end we draft AND develop so poorly it really doesn't matter.

I mean the worst thing he can do at this point is trade Galchenyuk, but you know what? They already basically ruined this kid by dicking around his development, so even that ultimately isn't going to change much long term.

Things can always get worse.
MB can trade Galch for peanuts (quite possible).
Can trade our 1st (which could be a top 5 pick) for Duchene.
Can trade Mete for some vet F or D.
Can trade Lehkonen for another vet F or D.
Can trade Poehling for another vet F or D.
Trade whatever 2nd picks we have...
Any combo of the above.
I.e. we could come in dead last and win the lottery but have no draft picks in the top 4 to speak of.
It CAN get worse.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Firing an assistant coach is coming next and it won't be Bargain Bins eyes and ears Daigneault.

Galchenyuk traded for peanuts is in the future.

Then finally the Fox Hole will be cleaned out and left empty. Guessing in April when the Habs are in last place and vying for Dahlin.

I consider myself one of the most optimistic people on the planet, but everything you typed there, I agree with 100% and will happen.

I also think Molson has to "promote" himself, and bring in a very experienced hockey guy as president (language not a factor please). And whoever THAT guy is will create the vision, and hire under Molson's parameters and rebuild this train wreck.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Leafs fan starts a thread bashing the Habs.

In fairness, their October and our slow start probably feel like winning the Cup to them.

I always look a leafs fans trying to talk about winning hockey and Cups like virgins trying to explain sex and how it feels.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
In fairness, their October and our slow start probably feel like winning the Cup to them.

I always look a leafs fans trying to talk about winning hockey and Cups like virgins trying to explain sex and how it feels.
Toronto lost 4 of their last 5.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Toronto lost 4 of their last 5.

I'm missing your point.

Because I swear I heard Leafs fans I know talking about being Cup contenders (despite their recent slide), and no other team likes to pile on us than them.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site

I have no problem if Roy was part of the new management team, but maybe assistant GM. It would just be too risky to hire another inexperienced GM.

Reactions: Habset

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Right. Assistant GM is the right spot for him imo...I would value his opinion but not the final say. If he couldn't handle getting overruled and wants the ultimate autonomy then I would look elsewhere.

I wasn't really giving an opinion there. I'd say that Roy was bad in that roll for the Avs and has never seemed like a team player, so I'm not sure why Montreal should consider him apart from the fact he's bilingual and a former Habs great, neither of which factor in much to an AGM post in Montreal.

There are plenty of guys out there with just as good, if not better managerial experience at lower levels of hockey and Roy's resume beyond that is spotty at best.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
I wasn't really giving an opinion there. I'd say that Roy was bad in that roll for the Avs and has never seemed like a team player, so I'm not sure why Montreal should consider him apart from the fact he's bilingual and a former Habs great, neither of which factor in much to an AGM post in Montreal.

There are plenty of guys out there with just as good, if not better managerial experience at lower levels of hockey and Roy's resume beyond that is spotty at best.

I respect his ability to identify a player with talent and evaluate a player at the very least. And he knows what it means to be a hab...that might not matter to some, but it does to me.

You're right though, he is definitely very assertive so he might not fit. I'm not fixated on him or anything...personally I want a GM with experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad