Molson Urges Patience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price: I don't wanna wait too long.
Molson: It's a eight year window.

Wonder what Price is thinking about this.
So many times I've seen posters bitch about his contract and so many times I've refuted those arguments. The guy's a superstar and I have zero problem paying him the money.

But WHY pay him that money if you're going to surround him with crap? It doesn't make sense on any level. Price prevents you from speeding up a rebuild and we wind up wasting an asset we could've used in a trade. Even worse, we hurt Price as an asset because his numbers suffer from the lack of support. It's lose, lose, lose for us.

This is the kind of thing that turns what should be quick rebuilds into endless retools. You wind up being an eternal bubble team and draft 15th. It's the absolute dumbest way to run a hockey team.

We have been fortunate in that we landed Caufield at 15 and had an unintentional tank to get KK. Those are great prospects to have in the system but that is LUCK not planning.

Despite it all, we actually have a decent group of forwards. We still have Price. We could STILL do something. But we won't. We'd rather have the cap space to squander in order to increase profits and avoid the scrutiny of the fans. Better to ice a mediocre product and offer long timelines for even the beginning of a success so that the fans can 'stay patient' and not demand anything from ownership.

What a scam.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
After 4 years of mediocre results…...we need more patience?
After 24 years without being consider a contender, even more patience?

Is it only me or we've been more than patient with that organization?
Honestly, since when does it take a team 12 years to rebuild?

This has to be the absolute worst thing I've heard from Molson since he's taken over. It's really reveals what his 'plan' is.

Maybe I didn't give him enough credit. I just assumed he was a moron. But the truth is that the fans are the real morons. Stupid of us for believing that we actually wanted to build a winner. He's laughing all the way to the bank and using 'patience' as a tool to get fans to overlook the fact that we've had 9 mil in cap space the past two seasons.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Do you folks realize what this means? The new 8 year plan is on as of today. I for one is super excited. Finally there is a plan. It's only 8 more years. Nothing to it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Imagine if your boss paid you millions of dollars a year with the expectation that you might end up doing ok within fifteen years.

While dispensing cash left right and center and yet not actually utilizing the budget correctly. :huh:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
So many times I've seen posters ***** about his contract and so many times I've refuted those arguments. The guy's a superstar and I have zero problem paying him the money.

But WHY pay him that money if you're going to surround him with crap? It doesn't make sense on any level. Price prevents you from speeding up a rebuild and we wind up wasting an asset we could've used in a trade.

This is the kind of thing that turns what should be quick rebuilds into endless retools. You wind up being an eternal bubble team and draft 15th. It's the absolute dumbest way to run a hockey team.

We have been fortunate in that we landed Caufield at 15 and had an unintentional tank to get KK. Those are great prospects to have in the system but that is LUCK not planning.

Despite it all, we actually have a decent group of forwards. We still have Price. We could STILL do something. But we won't. We'd rather have the cap space to squander in order to increase profits and avoid the scrutiny of the fans. Better to ice a mediocre product and offer long timelines for even the beginning of a success so that the fans can 'stay patient' and not demand anything from ownership.

What a scam.

After hearing this, I don't see a scenario where Price stays with the team. Wonder if Molson said this because there's a trade involving Price in the work? I mean, he knows Price wouldn't be happy with this announcement. Price wouldn't mind the annoucement if he knows he is being shop.

Trading Price for a blue chip prospect or high 1st round pick would elevate our chance to be competitive by that 8th year as Price will be at the end of his career. We'd also suck this year and the top 10 in the draft looks absolutely insane.

I'd do it. But probably wishful thinking

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
After hearing this, I don't see a scenario where Price stays with the team. Wonder if Molson said this because there's a trade involving Price in the work? I mean, he knows Price wouldn't be happy with this announcement. Price wouldn't mind the annoucement if he knows he is being shop.

Trading Price for a blue chip prospect or high 1st round pick would elevate our chance to be competitive by that 8th year as Price will be at the end of his career. We'd also suck this year and the top 10 in the draft looks absolutely insane.

I'd do it. But probably wishful thinking
It's past the offseason. If they were going to trade him, it would've made sense to do it at the trade deadline or over the summer.

Then again, if we were going to rebuild it would've made sense to just not re-sign him in the first place. But that would require a PLAN.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Whether you agree or not (and I'm pretty much in between regarding this topic)...

That's extremely early for such a message.
In St Louis tomorrow I'll be tuned in to the banner raising ceremony. Meanwhile here in Montreal we are asked to celebrate what can only be described as a bar lowering exercise.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
In St Louis tomorrow I'll be tuned in to the banner raising ceremony. Meanwhile here in Montreal we are asked to celebrate what can only be described as a bar lowering exercise.

I'm in Fredericktown, MO right now and will be at the game tomorrow (just because it so worked out).

Reactions: Rapala

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
it doesn't, it moves to Nashville if he does finish early ( which he will since his contract is built this way). If I'm not wrong it's because of the Flyers offer sheet that he signed.

Weber has one of the best contract for us

This is assuming he retires before it's done. He likely will but that's not a guarantee, if he chooses to keep playing he has that right.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I know it's fun to hate, but i'm ok with that message. It's very different from what we're used to and makes me feel like we have an actual plan

now the issue is, if that's your plan then you can't half ass it and only do SOME moves according to that plan... Price and Weber barely fit in that plan, so now what?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know it's fun to hate, but i'm ok with that message. It's very different from what we're used to and makes me feel like we have an actual plan

now the issue is, if that's your plan then you can't half ass it and only do SOME moves according to that plan... Price and Weber barely fit in that plan, so now what?
What plan?

All he's doing is buying time and looking to avoid accountability for anything.

Habsfan2992

One of the 1st
May 12, 2004
Oakville
Yeah the rangers can do it in 2 years after telling the fans its rebuild time but we're the lucky ones and get to wait another 5 years because da trades are hard:thumbu:

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
What plan?

All he's doing is buying time and looking to avoid accountability for anything.

the plan is to build around the core of youngsters we have right now and shoot for a cup in a set window with a hard limit, I love hearing a literal timeline from him, that's "a plan"

I know what you mean, but what I mean is, there seems to be a plan that isn't "lEt'S mAkE ThE PlaYoFFs AnD SeE whAt HaPpEns" and that's refreshing, that's how low my expectations are nowadays

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
the plan is to build around the core of youngsters we have right now and shoot for a cup in a set window with a hard limit, I love hearing a literal timeline from him, that's "a plan"

I know what you mean, but what I mean is, there seems to be a plan that isn't "lEt'S mAkE ThE PlaYoFFs AnD SeE whAt HaPpEns" and that's refreshing, that's how low my expectations are nowadays
I guess Molson's strategy worked. All he has to do is tell people there's a rebuild and they'll back off.

Kudos to him.

Reactions: dinodebino

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
f*** you and your patience bullshit.

Bergevin can't sign anyone. He doesn't want to make a big trade to acquire anyone. The team is hoping and praying the prospects turnout. Bergevin needs to go, but looks like we're stuck with him for eternity

Reactions: Maliki2

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014

The new plan is -> “I think we start every season with the hope that we’ll make the playoffs,” Molson said. “

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The new plan is -> “I think we start every season with the hope that we’ll make the playoffs,” Molson said. “
Bubble team, don't make rebuild or 'win it now' trades. Tread water for eight years with what you've got. Meanwhile we continue to draft 15th overall in perpetuity.

Then tell everyone to be patient 'cause it's all part of the plan.

Some people will buy it.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

I would be fine with the message if there was clear direction of this team. It appears to me that they (owner/ management) still don't know how to reset, rebuild or whatever you want to call it, and to be honest, not sure that they know what they are doing at all.

You don't hold on the Price and Weber when you're sending a message like this one.

Just my 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad