Molson Urges Patience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Habs owner Geoff Molson urges fans to have patience

Habs owner Geoff Molson urges fans to have patience in his speech to Canadian Club

Molson has talked recently about the notion that the Habs have an eight-year window to become contenders.
“It’s the next three to eight years,
but it could even be one to eight years,” Molson said. “The combination of the veterans, that we have signed for the long term, with the young veterans — the Domis and Gallaghers of this world — and the young players who’re coming up, I think we’ll have a very talented team with a lot of potential during this period.”

Discuss.

Frank the Skank

Jan 11, 2019
104 Row D 15
Playoffs this season, top three in the division next, division title and Stanley Cup run in 2021-22 ... that's patient enough... anything less is failure.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hey Pricey and Webby.....it's an 8th year window. Run.

From transitions to transitions to transitions and transitions.....this organization is a joke. And it starts on top. Be ready for another 3 or 5 year extension to Bergie coming soon.

Did Molson really said a moment comes when it's time to perform? How about fans going at the Bell Centre respond : '' A moment comes when it's time to show up''.

Last edited:

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
It's quite realistic though, obviously you'd prefer these types of quotes to happen much before the start of the season, but well can't do much about that now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The truly frustrating part here is that, despite the mismanagement, we actually have a decent young group of forwards. We still have a great goalie. If we'd added just a bit to the D we'd probably be in the playoffs this year and if we actually TRIED to do something we might be able to do some damage soon.

But ownership does not want expectations. They don't want to actually try to win anything. It's much better for them to have no expectations because it means they have no accountability.

9 mil in cap space the past two seasons. The Montreal Canadiens, one of the richest teams in the league. That is a disgrace.

Edit: I should change this from them not wanting to 'try to win', I think that's over the top. More like, they aren't willing to take a risk and do what's necessary to win because they don't want the pressure of being on the hot seat. They're quite happy just being in the middle, out of the spotlight and away from any kind of expectation.

Last edited:

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The truly frustrating part here is that, despite the mismanagement, we actually have a decent young group of forwards. We still have a great goalie. If we'd added just a bit to the D we'd probably be in the playoffs this year and if we actually TRIED to do something we might be able to do some damage soon.

But ownership does not want accountability. They don't want to actually try to win anything. It's much better for them to have no expectations because it means they have no accountability.

9 mil in cap space the past two seasons. The Montreal Canadiens, one of the richest teams in the league. That is a disgrace.
But free Cap Space is an asset according to MB!...somehow, even when you never use it or plan on using it. Radulov with his 60-70 points every year? Nah, we need perpetual cap room more.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Is it only me who understands this 8 years as the CLOSING date of the window, which is supposed to start 1-3 years from now? I mean, I would gladly share the outrage, but that's how I understand what he said. Maybe it's my limited English?

Reactions: MtlSportsFan

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Is it only me who understands this 8 years as the CLOSING date of the window, which is supposed to start 1-3 years from now? I mean, I would gladly share the outrage, but that's how I understand what he said. Maybe it's my limited English?
Eight year window to become contenders.

Reactions: DAChampion

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

He is saying 8 years to BECOME contenders.

In 8 years the entire team will be different.

8 years ago we had Gomez/Gionta/Cammalleri as our main guys.

In fact, the only player still here who was on the roster 8 years ago is Price.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Molson considers Bergevin to be the most important asset in the league, and by extension, all of hockey. No one, not even Price, is on his level.

Regardless of Bergy's future performance, I expect a long ass stay to come.

Funny hearing Molson talk about windows though, since Bergevin doesn't believe in it publicly.

Reactions: dinodebino

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I actually read it the same way, but perhaps it's my English that is failing me as well.

If, say, I said that I had an 8 year window to become a doctor, does that really imply I would only start practicing after year 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad