Modern-Day (80 Game) Great Players Who Surprisingly Didn't Score 50 Goals in a Season

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Lindros would also be dope in todays NHL too. The league as it is now wouldnt give him a headshot a game. Most players nowadays probably wouldnt even try to hit him

Reactions: authentic

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Lindros would have been an all time great had it not been for injuries. Injuries prevented him from doing a lot which included scoring 50 goals in a year.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
To be fair, Lindros was on a pretty comfortable 50 goal pace in several of his early on seasons. I know “you can’t say you did it until you do it”, but I think it’s safe to say he easily had the ability.

Datsyuk, Forsberg, and Francis were all players with heavy playmaking emphasis opposed to finishers. Not really surprised at them at all.
A player I’m much more surprised for not coming closer is Hossa. Dude played on several great teams and was a great player, but his high was “only” 45

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It’s always surprising to be reminded that Forsberg topped out at 30.

0.35 goals per game in the regular season. 0.42 goals per game in the playoffs, where it's harder to score. Forsberg obviously didn't focus on scoring goals in the regular season, but on driving the play and being a playmaker. Had he focused on goal scoring in the regular season he probably could have hit 40 with relative ease. Probably not 50 though.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I'll throw out Semin's name here. He played on a team that put a lot of emphasis on offense and had an incredible shot, but peaked at 40 goals I believe.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Lindros was a unique and dominant physical player but his peak was just a lot shorter than most others. If you watched him play you’d understand why the raw numbers don’t really do him justice.
I was never a fan of Lindros. I guess it’s just because he was always the enemy. In hindsight, I wish he was able to stick around longer.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
In a similar vein there's Lanny McDonald who played for some very good team, scored over 1000 points and had a career high 66 goals in a season. Lanny McDonald, surprisingly, never broke 100 points.

His highest scoring year was 66-32-98.

Stamkos is his modern-day equivalent. Stamkos too has yet to score 100 points, despite having a 60+ goal season.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
In a similar vein there's Lanny McDonald who played for some very good team, scored over 1000 points and had a career high 66 goals in a season. Lanny McDonald, surprisingly, never broke 100 points.

His highest scoring year was 66-32-98.

Stamkos is his modern-day equivalent. Stamkos too has yet to score 100 points, despite having a 60+ goal season.

Craziest fact in the thread. Always assumed Lanny had multiple 100 point seasons.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Sundin (47)

I am a bit surprised he didn’t hit it especially in quebec and was surprised he only had one 100 point season ever and none with Toronto

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Lindros and Fedorov are comparable to me. Both had dominant peaks, but spent most of their careers being a shell of the players we remember them as. I had pretty much the same experience with Lindros as you. I was pretty young, but I clearly remember the hype, and people literally calling him "the next Gretzky." Maybe because Gretz was still around, we didn't realize just how rare that caliber of player is.

It seems, in hindsight, like there was a brief period (I think when Mario was out with cancer?) where Lindros probably was the best player in the league. And that LOD line, as a unit, was the most feared thing in hockey. So yeah, I was genuinely surprised to see he topped out at 47.
94-95 was probably the season you could argue Lindros was the best. He was still 21-22 at the time. His problem (before the main injuries came) was that he could not stay healthy. He topped out at something like 60-75 games every year even before the concussions. It took him around 60 games to reach 40 goals so I'm sure he would have had a few 50 seasons if not for that fact.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Craziest fact in the thread. Always assumed Lanny had multiple 100 point seasons.

Too, it was crazy he had a 66 goal season in Calgary when back when he was in Toronto he was a line-mate of Sittler who was considered the more prolific scorer.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Lindros would have been an all time great had it not been for injuries. Injuries prevented him from doing a lot which included scoring 50 goals in a year.

I actually thought he was a first ballot HOF inductee. Glad I looked it up, because it was actually the 6th time his name was on the ballot when he got in finally.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I too was surprised by Naslund as someone else mentioned. Some others:

- Daniel Alfredsson (only once hit 90 points too)
- Mike Modano (Only hit 50 goals once...never even topped 40 again)
- Marty St Louis (43)
- Dave Andreychuk (Despite 640 goals the longevity king only hit 50 goals once over his career)

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I too was surprised by Naslund as someone else mentioned. Some others:

- Daniel Alfredsson (only once hit 90 points too)
- Mike Modano (Only hit 50 goals once...never even topped 40 again)
- Marty St Louis (43)
- Dave Andreychuk (Despite 640 goals the longevity king only hit 50 goals once over his career)

I feel there should be a unlikely players that scored 50. Gary Leeman is maybe the most glaring example that comes to mind.

But in keeping with the Modano 50, Jeremy Roenick scored 50+ twice and isn't in the HHOF. I think Modano was the more dynamic, smooth and fast player, but JR really did have a remarkable career.

Last edited:

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
0.35 goals per game in the regular season. 0.42 goals per game in the playoffs, where it's harder to score. Forsberg obviously didn't focus on scoring goals in the regular season, but on driving the play and being a playmaker. Had he focused on goal scoring in the regular season he probably could have hit 40 with relative ease. Probably not 50 though.
Lol, if he wouldn’t have spent half his career acting like he played soccer in la liga, he probably would’ve scored more. His nickname of “floppa” suited him well.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He has a good case for most underrated player of all time. Heck, no one even rates him anymore.

Always loved Ziggy, definitely forgotten about and underrated.

Luc Robitaille is the only other somewhat recent guy I can think of. Just never considered elite, no Brett Hull-like memorable moments.. but just shy of 1400 points with numerous 60 goal, 100 point seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad