Confirmed with Link: [MOD WARNING post #272] CBJ acquire Provorov for LA first round pick (#22), conditional ‘24 or ‘25 2nd round pick

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Two Provorov red flags for me:

The last few seasons Flyers fans have wanted to trade him
Torts, whose knowledge of defensive hockey I appreciate, is the coach when Philadelphia was willing to trade him with 2 years left on his contract.​

Part of me thinks Torts half jokingly told the Philly leadership that they should trade Provorov to Columbus because Jarmo doesn’t know much about defense.
a fun little exercise here is scrolling back up this page just a tiny bit to see the post where you also said this:
-If he does have value, you don’t keep an asset with value unless you think you have a reasonable shot at the Cup,
but, just so we're on the same page here: the flyers weren't offloading an asset with value because they're rebuilding, they moved provorov because torts thought he could pull a fast one on jarmo, right? cool.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don’t know, I personally have always liked Provorov and have always wanted to acquire him since the draft. I’m expecting him to be one of the best defensemen we’ve seen in Columbus - not that it’s a very illustrious list. Philly has been stuck in no man’s land for so long and he’s been a bit of a poster boy for that lack of success. I don’t really pin that all on him, but if I were a Flyers fan I would be looking to move on too.

I think we’ve only had a 1-2-3 punch of this quality on D once before, five years ago. Hopefully the youngins can develop quickly and turn it into an actual formidable group.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
a fun little exercise here is scrolling back up this page just a tiny bit to see the post where you also said this:

but, just so we're on the same page here: the flyers weren't offloading an asset with value because they're rebuilding, they moved provorov because torts thought he could pull a fast one on jarmo, right? cool.

The question is when do you maximize the return on your asset. If Provorov is so great, they should have kept him and asked for more at the deadline in 2025. They moved him now because they thought this is the best offer they would ever get for him. I 100% get why Philly traded him.

I don’t like the trade. Many of you do. We’ll see how it works out. I don’t like the Severson trade and signing. Many of you do. We’ll see how it works out.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The question is when do you maximize the return on your asset. If Provorov is so great, they should have kept him and asked for more at the deadline in 2025. They moved him now because they thought this is the best offer they would ever get for him. I 100% get why Philly traded him.
there are two issues with this framing:
  1. it assumes ~20+ potential games of provorov is worth more than 160+
  2. it ignores that provorov was one of ten (10!) pieces moved in the trade that philadelphia agreed to make
provorov was the biggest name in the trade, but this trade was about creating cap space for LAK. philly wanted to weaponize cap space that they didn't actually have, which meant they had to move provorov's contract, LAK then retained to raise his value, and philly got to keep all of the assets.

the end result was them getting:
  • a 1st round pick
  • two 2nd round picks
  • a solid, nhl-ready RHD prospect (grans)
  • two roster players who can fill lineup spots
walker could easily rebound and become another asset for them. petersen is less likely, but who knows?

the trade is about as clear of a win/win/win as there is: the blue jackets got a #2 LHD who both isn't a rental and doesn't have prohibitive term at a reasonable aav, the kings got a bunch of cap space, and the flyers got a bunch of assets.

they could've kept provorov up to the 2025 deadline, but then 1) they would've gotten less back in return and 2) they'd be two developmental years behind on that extra first rounder. in other words: they maximized the return on provorov by dealing him when they did.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Provorov is going to be the best addition to the team this year, imo. Underrated player in a position of desperate need, who will not be asked to play above his abilities like most of the forwards on the roster.
This deal specifically and the drafting of Fantilli have me more excited for the season to start than I have been for years.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I can tell you some within the team are extremely excited for this move (Mods I can share if needed). Felt he was in an awful situation in Philly, still has a lot to give and is truly excited to be here. He was a target and between he and Severson they feel the defense should be stabilized and a significant improvement with a long term horizon that is extremely bright. I get this could be considered party line but I think the discussion was genuine and his attitude is great. I personally loved the trade and think he has nothing to lose given the rough play the last couple years but for some (not necessarily in here) to feel he's on the decline...c'mon, at 26? he's just hitting prime and with the right system could be a really, really good pickup. Could also be extended but allows the development of guys like Mateychuk and Svozil.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021

I don’t like the trade. Many of you do. We’ll see how it works out. I don’t like the Severson trade and signing. Many of you do. We’ll see how it works out.

what would you have preferred they do to address the defense?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
what would you have preferred they do to address the defense?

I likely would have accepted where we are in the rebuild and where the rest of the East is and decided to accept one more bad year, but I get that Jarmo couldn't do that.

So, if I had to do something, Dumba on Werenski’s right for a season or two might be interesting. Tell him not to worry about attacking too much. His shot isn’t what it was due to injuries, but because of that he is cheaper than he would have been. That gives the glut of right D another season to sort itself out and Werenski gets an actual legit partner.

I would have looked for a team looking to dump a left D with a year or two left on his contract. If I didnt find one, I probably would have looked at a guy like Gostisbehere. Let Mateychuk pal around with him a bit and maybe learn some tips from a similar guy. What are we hoping Mateychuk turns into? A 2nd pair left D who might put up 50 points or more in his best seasons? I wouldn’t have traded a first round pick for a guy that can’t wait to hit free agency.

But I said 2 years ago the defense was going to suck. So I wouldn’t have been surprised that it sucked like it has.

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
I likely would have accepted where we are in the rebuild and where the rest of the East is and decided to accept one more bad year, but I get that Jarmo couldn't do that.

So, if I had to do something, Dumba on Werenski’s right for a season or two might be interesting. Tell him not to worry about attacking too much. His shot isn’t what it was due to injuries, but because of that he is cheaper than he would have been. That gives the glut of right D another season to sort itself out and Werenski gets an actual legit partner.

I would have looked for a team looking to dump a left D with a year or two left on his contract. If I didnt find one, I probably would have looked at a guy like Gostisbehere. Let Mateychuk pal around with him a bit and maybe learn some tips from a similar guy. What are we hoping Mateychuk turns into? A 2nd pair left D who might put up 50 points or more in his best seasons? I wouldn’t have traded a first round pick for a guy that can’t wait to hit free agency.

But I said 2 years ago the defense was going to suck. So I wouldn’t have been surprised that it sucked like it has.

So if it were up to you running back the same last in the league D core would have been preferred? Another year of guys playing in roles way above their head would have done no good at all.

Isn’t a team looking to dump a left D with 2 years on his contract exactly what we got in provorov?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I mean a cap dump. Not a trade that involves a 1st round pick. I mean weaponize some cap space for a year to take a serviceable but overpaid guy.
Why so we can continue to suck and blame Jarmo for not doing enough to make this team better? And continue to be the youngest team in the league for a few more years? Just because we have a little cap space doesn't mean we need to weaponize it. Sometimes you need to have that flexibility so if a offer presents itself you can take advantage of it. Which is exactly what we just did. If Provorov even takes a small step forward he's at least worth the 1st+ we paid at the deadline in a year or two.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I can tell you some within the team are extremely excited for this move (Mods I can share if needed). Felt he was in an awful situation in Philly, still has a lot to give and is truly excited to be here. He was a target and between he and Severson they feel the defense should be stabilized and a significant improvement with a long term horizon that is extremely bright. I get this could be considered party line but I think the discussion was genuine and his attitude is great. I personally loved the trade and think he has nothing to lose given the rough play the last couple years but for some (not necessarily in here) to feel he's on the decline...c'mon, at 26? he's just hitting prime and with the right system could be a really, really good pickup. Could also be extended but allows the development of guys like Mateychuk and Svozil.
That has to be cleared with the admin staff; it's not really our call.

Reactions: Xoggz22

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Big Provorov interview in Russian

He says that during the draft had the Flyers not picked him, he was 99% sure Columbus would’ve drafted him at 8th

Doesn’t drink alcohol, never had beer in his life

Btw, Ivan Provorov is really very religious.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Big Provorov interview in Russian

He says that during the draft had the Flyers not picked him, he was 99% sure Columbus would’ve drafted him at 8th

Doesn’t drink alcohol, never had beer in his life

The behind the battle episode at the draft made it seem like we wanted to leave that draft with Hanifin, Werenski, or Rantanen. But who knows

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We needed a D but Rantanen would have been great. But without MacKinnon and Landeskog as linemates who knows?

We have 2 of them now so that is good.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Sometimes I wonder how a simple statement can bring on comments such as the two above.
Can't wait for the discussion of this one. I'm waiting for Steven A to make this a lead story.

Reactions: Cowumbus and Jaxs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad