NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft Poll: 11th Overall Pick

Who Should the Nashville Predators Select 11th Overall?

• Kaiden Guhle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noel Gunler

• Rodian Amirov

• Dylan Holloway

• Jacob Perrault

• Other (please specify in the comments section)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
With the 10th pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select Jake Sanderson with the USA NTDP.
The draft thus far:

1. The New York Rangers select Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski

2. The LA Kings select Quinton Byfield, C, Sudbury

3. The Ottawa Senators select Tim Stutzle, LW, Adler Manheim

4. The Detroit Red Wings select Cole Perfetti, LW, Saginaw

5. The Ottawa Senators select Jamie Drysdale, D, Erie

6. The Anaheim Ducks select Lucas Raymond, RW, Frölunda

7. The New Jersey Devils select Alexander Holtz, RW, Djurgårdens

8. The Buffalo Sabres select Marco Rossi, C, Ottawa

9. The Minnesota Wild select Anton Lundell, C, HIFK

10. The Winnipeg Jets select Jake Sanderson, D, USA NTDP

The Nashville Predators are on the clock...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
So I am going to go with a bit of a curve ball here.

I think Nashville likes the wing talent on the board, but scoops up Askarov with the 11th pick.

Reactions: BKGooner

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Feel like this is a good spot for Jarvis to go. Quinn could fit in here as well, but Jarvis is one of the risers on boards.

As for Askirov, I think the latest he'd go is to Carolina at 13. They have the need and one of the deeper systems to pull off taking a goalie at 13.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I feel, as is so often the case with these fan-of-one-team simmed mocks, that the results often pose something of a worst case scenario, because even in trying to be "realistic," about not selecting reaches for the teams picking ahead of them, the fans can't help but see the prospects through the lenses of who they personally want and believe is best for their own team.

Just saying, there's not even one reach in that top 10. Every player selected so far is bad for how the Rangers would be hoping the board breaks to get a guy they like to drop, and I suspect it continues shortly with Mercer, Quinn and Jarvis going in the next few picks.

It's certainly possible that it goes that way, but also unlikely.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just a reminder that Rinne is turning 38 this fall, and I don't think Ingram or Saros are the eggs in one basket type of goalie options.

And their goalie prospects from the last few years have all been late picks who are playing in the USHL, the Czech republic, and Hockey East.

Needless to say, goaltending is definitely on the radar for the Predators.

Reactions: bernmeister

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I want to go Askarov here, but I can't help but think his ETA lines up with the Preds falling out of contending status. They're looking at all of their top guys going into their early 30s. If he follows the Vaislevsky path, you're looking at D+4 or D+5 when he'll make an impact. I think there's more value here for a kid like Jarvis or Quinn to learn in a sheltered environment behind guys like Arvidsson and Forsberg to help him hit that next level. Plus, their prospect pool is pretty thin at forward, although I absolutely loved their Tomasino pick last year. That kid is going to be an absolute stud. I went Quinn here to add another pure goal-scorer to their pool and help them hedge their bets on Tolvanen.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I do understand the concept of "don't build around a goaltender," but when you are at the point of a draft where there is no surefire 1st line forward or top pair defender left, I do not understand why securing a potential #1 goalie, which remains such an important position, is not seen more favorably. They play every minute of the game - solidifying that spot rectifies a lot of problems, and fast.

To that end I don't get why Askarov isn't generally much higher on this board as early as 8 to Buffalo.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I decided to change my vote from Quinn to Askarov. I do think Nashville could use another shooter. Actually they could use someone like Guhle too. Edge's argument though makes a lot of sense and IMO whoever takes Askarov is going to happy with that pick ten years from now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I decided to change my vote from Quinn to Askarov. I do think Nashville could use another shooter. Actually they could use someone like Guhle too. Edge's argument though makes a lot of sense and IMO whoever takes Askarov is going to happy with that pick ten years from now.

I know everyone loves the forwards, and with good reason, but Askarov is going to be a candidate for several teams --- including Nashville, Toronto, Edmonton, Chicago and quite possibly Carolina and New Jersey.

So that's at least a consideration for 6 of the next 8 teams (including Nashville with the current pick).

I also think we are entering the range where a pair of defensemen potentially come off the board in both Guhle and Schneider.

That's why I think a "popular" forward or two ends up dropping within range of the Rangers.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

I don't see Nashville going this way. They've been a defensive powerhouse for so long without getting over the hump.

For the same reason, I'm going to (narrowly) pass on Askarov.

It may be recency bias, but Lapierre and Quinn are close for me here. And there's gotta be a surprise at some point, so... Lapierre.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I feel, as is so often the case with these fan-of-one-team simmed mocks, that the results often pose something of a worst case scenario, because even in trying to be "realistic," about not selecting reaches for the teams picking ahead of them, the fans can't help but see the prospects through the lenses of who they personally want and believe is best for their own team.

Just saying, there's not even one reach in that top 10. Every player selected so far is bad for how the Rangers would be hoping the board breaks to get a guy they like to drop, and I suspect it continues shortly with Mercer, Quinn and Jarvis going in the next few picks.

It's certainly possible that it goes that way, but also unlikely.

I think this is true, but also we are taking the mode of about 100 people as opposed to the much smaller group that will make the real life decision.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Just thinking, and obviously not suggesting we change how these polls are done; but it would be pretty cool to follow this process, except instead of taking the guy with the most votes, use the number of votes as their weight and randomly generate the pick.

It would create a draftboard with some risers and fallers as you would expect in real life.

Last edited:
Reactions: mas0764

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I can't see them going Askarov when they still desperately need scoring forwards, and at this point they need them on their ELCs after trying to throw money at that problem

And maybe coincidentally or not, they haven't taken a Russian with a first round pick since Radulov

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I was really torn making this call too, but I can't help but think Askarov just keeps them in that good, but not good enough range for ~3-5 years. Plus, with two 2nd and 3rd rounders, it seems like the perfect chance to nab a kid like Bednar or Blomqvist earlier than projected. I think we'll see Askarov go at 14/15 to EDM or TOR.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I have Carolina as Askarov's landing spot. It will complete their troll job, ending up with high end talent up and down the line up.

EDM and TOR should do anything in their power to present a functioning D-corps, if they want to compete for anything more than the first round.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I know everyone loves the forwards, and with good reason, but Askarov is going to be a candidate for several teams --- including Nashville, Toronto, Edmonton, Chicago and quite possibly Carolina and New Jersey.

So that's at least a consideration for 6 of the next 8 teams (including Nashville with the current pick).

I also think we are entering the range where a pair of defensemen potentially come off the board in both Guhle and Schneider.

That's why I think a "popular" forward or two ends up dropping within range of the Rangers.

I've always connected Askarov and Carolina at 13 actually. Who do you draft when you're deep in every other position but goaltender and actually if anything that's your team's Achille's heel? To me if he's around at 13 Carolina will take him. As for New Jersey I think Blackwood is a very good looking young goalie and at 8 get a scoring winger for Hughes if you can.

If Guhle's around at 22 I'm thinking the Rangers will take him. I've ranked him at 15 and according to you they really like him anyway. So his going off the board is not necessarily a good thing for the Rangers. Schneider I'm not quite as high on. A Zary, Mysak, Bourque, Gunler or Lapierre going early also helps IMO. I'm kind of aiming at a Guhle (doesn't seem realistic), Holloway, Amirov or Greig. IMO a very good chance one of them will still be around.

Reactions: Leetch3

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I was really torn making this call too, but I can't help but think Askarov just keeps them in that good, but not good enough range for ~3-5 years. Plus, with two 2nd and 3rd rounders, it seems like the perfect chance to nab a kid like Bednar or Blomqvist earlier than projected. I think we'll see Askarov go at 14/15 to EDM or TOR.

I've always had Askarov going to Carolina before because they're deep enough at every other position and they also have 2 second rounders.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I've always connected Askarov and Carolina at 13 actually. Who do you draft when you're deep in every other position but goaltender and actually if anything that's your team's Achille's heel? To me if he's around at 13 Carolina will take him. As for New Jersey I think Blackwood is a very good looking young goalie and at 8 get a scoring winger for Hughes if you can.

If Guhle's around at 22 I'm thinking the Rangers will take him. I've ranked him at 15 and according to you they really like him anyway. So his going off the board is not necessarily a good thing for the Rangers. Schneider I'm not quite as high on. A Zary, Mysak, Bourque, Gunler or Lapierre going early also helps IMO. I'm kind of aiming at a Guhle (doesn't seem realistic), Holloway, Amirov or Greig. IMO a very good chance one of them will still be around.

I wouldn't completely hate it. you can never have too many d prospects and if one of the big dmen are still on the board that means forwards are gone...it depends on how else is there but at 22 Guhle could be the best player left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad