NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft #2 by rey, Water Knight, stayinalive, and RR

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
With the 209th pick overall in the 2013 draft the Wild are proud to select, from Avon Old Farms
:wild

Daniel LaFontaine C

1 (16th) Zachary Fucale G
2 (51st) Samuel Morin D
3 (76th) Jonathan-Ismael Diaby D
3 (78th) Brett Pesce D
3 (82) Roberts Lipsbergs LW
4 (107) Greg Chase C
5 (137) Zach Hall LW
6 (167) Hunter Garlent C
7 (192) Zack Mitchell RW
7 (197) Jaimen Yakubowski LW
7 (209) Daniel LaFontaine C

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
:flames

close out the 2013 draft by selecting Vyacheslav Leshchenko, LW, Mitischi Atlant, and Fredrik Bergvik, G, Frolunda

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
With this being my first draft, I really like the group of prospects I was able to grab.

:stars

1 (15) Adam Erne, RW, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
Big hard nosed winger. Brings elite skill & potential, capable of being at least a 20-goal winger. Can play LW/C/RW with relative ease and comfort, plays well in all areas of the ice and has a very "pro-style" game.

2 (41) JT Compher C, USNTDP (USHL)
Quite happy to pick one of the top players coming out of the US program. Highly competitive player that works hard every shift. I see him as a potential #2C but could also see him moved to the wing, at worse a #3 scoring line forward that would be invaluable to any team.

2 (52) Jordan Subban D, Belleville Bulls (OHL)
First somewhat big gamble of the draft. Subban has slowly been rising up the draft boards. Initially, most may think he is living off of his brothers' success that the Subban name brings. However the slightly undersized D-man has shown that he is talented in his own right, finishing with 15 goals and 51 points in 68 games, 6th among defensemen in the OHL. Dallas has sizable D-men prospects, but lacks offensive d-men and Subban has the potential to be what they've been missing.

3 (77) Alex Forsberg C/W, Prince George Cougars (WHL)
Former #1 pick in the WHL draft, Forsberg has all the talent, but has been faced with many challenges along the way. The potential is definitely there, the work and effort just needs to accompany it. Hopefully getting into a NHL system can help and we see Forsberg commit to becoming a better player. Potential high risk, but the chance of getting what could have been a top player in the draft in the mid 3rd Round is something the Stars are happy to take a chance on.

3 (83) Thomas Vannelli D, Minnetonka HS (USHS)
The High Schooler has also slowly been climbing the draft rankings. A two-way d-man with offensive touch and size, the Stars look to be set on D prospects for the future. He will be going to the U of Minnesota and will be coached by 2014 U20 Team USA Coach Lucia and that will only help the young man develop into a potential top 4 d-man.

6 (166) Cal Peterson G, Waterloo (USHL)
With the final pick, the Stars looked to replenish a Goaltending prospects pool that is their weak point organizationally. Peterson adds depth and quality to the position.

=======================

I may be biased but I really love this draft and think it's one of the top ones. But I'd love to hear others opinions. I know the Subban pick was debated as being a bit high

I like this draft for the Stars.

In particular I like the picks of Erne, Compher, and Alex Forsberg the most.

Jordan Subban and Cal Peterson seem like they would mesh well with the Stars.

Don't know enough about Thomas Vannelli to have an educated opinion , but from what I can see he looks good.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
:kings DRAFT RECAP:

2nd (49th) Hudson Fasching, RW, USNTDP (USHL)

Big (6'3'', 214 lbs) and strong power forward who has committed to University of Minnesota. Will probably need 3 or 4 years as a Gopher, but has good chances to become at least a 3rd line energy winger. Elite player behind the net and close to the boards, protects the puck well. Fasching also has a somewhat interesting background story.

3rd (80th) Mason Geertsen, D, Vancouver Giants (WHL)

Playing in a bottom feeder like Giants can really ruin your stats, but Geertsen's play isn't that much depending on goals and assists. He's a hard-hitting defenseman who isn't afraid to fight either. Good character on and off the ice, captain material. After finishing his junior career, Geertsen could probably use couple years developing in Manchester. Kings blueline looks pretty good at the moment, so therefore there's no need to rush Geertsen to the spotlights.

4th (110th) Blake Heinrich, D, Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)

Another player who's decided to take the NCAA route. This UMD commit is a smaller guy who could become a good puck-moving offensive defenseman. Certainly isn't guaranteed to make the NHL, but has some potential.

4th (111th) Tyler Motte, LW, USNTDP (USHL)

Second USNTDP player and third future college kid of this Kings draft class, Motte is a offensive winger with a small frame, but he plays bigger than he actually is. Will be attending University of Michigan next fall, and should be able to put up some nice numbers there after he gets some experience.

4th (112th) Myles Bell, LW/D, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)

Without the unfortunate incident that happened couple years ago, Bell would've been a 2nd round pick as a defenseman in the 2011 draft. Now, after being passed in the draft twice and being converted into a winger, it's finally the time for him to hear his name called. Monarchs could use him already next year. If pro career as a forward doesn't seem to work, Bell could also drop back to defense and see if that would be more successful.

4th (113th) Blaine Byron, C, Smiths Falls Bears (CCHL)

Despite playing in an inferior league, Byron has been able to garner some attention among scouts. Will play in University of Maine next year, and could play there for a while before turning pro and trying to get into the Kings' roster.

6th (170th) Henrik Haapala, RW, Tappara (SM-liiga)

Small winger who has great vision and passing ability. Size is the biggest concern, and the biggest reason why he didn't get selected last year. Playing in my hometown team also helped him to get my attention.

7th (200th) Melvin Nyffeler, G, GC Küsnacht Lions (NLB)

Goaltending isn't really the biggest need for Los Angeles, but you can never have too many goaltending prospects. Nyffeler played well in this year's WJC tournament, but may suffer the same fate that his predecessor Benjamin Conz did. Size is a concern, but he still has some clear talent.

-----

Kings' future obviously isn't really tied to this draft, so there's the possibilty to make some bigger risk selections and draft some project guys. In overall, I think I had a decent draft. Not great, but not awful at all either.

Possible future lineup for Kings (2017/18):

Tanner Pearson - Anze Kopitar - Tyler Toffoli
Tyler Motte - Mike Richards - Jeff Carter
Myles Bell - Linden Vey - Hudson Fasching
Dwight King - Jarret Stoll - Jordan Nolan

(First call-ups: Blaine Byron, Tomas Hyka)

Jake Muzzin - Drew Doughty
Alec Martinez - Slava Voynov
Derek Forbort - Keaton Ellerby

(First call-ups: Mason Geertsen, Blake Heinrich)

Jonathan Quick
Christopher Gibson

(First call-up: Melvin Nyffeler)

Some feedback would be appreciated. And don't worry, I can take negative comments as well. :laugh:

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
:kings DRAFT RECAP:

2nd (49th) Hudson Fasching, RW, USNTDP (USHL)

Big (6'3'', 214 lbs) and strong power forward who has committed to University of Minnesota. Will probably need 3 or 4 years as a Gopher, but has good chances to become at least a 3rd line energy winger. Elite player behind the net and close to the boards, protects the puck well. Fasching also has a somewhat interesting background story.

That was a very interesting read!! To anyone who sees this post, I suggest you take a look at it. I chuckled at the part where the guy said he thought Hudson was a girl :laugh:

Possible future lineup for Kings (2017/18):

Tanner Pearson - Anze Kopitar - Tyler Toffoli
Tyler Motte - Mike Richards - Jeff Carter
Myles Bell - Linden Vey - Hudson Fasching
Dwight King - Jarret Stoll - Jordan Nolan

(First call-ups: Blaine Byron, Tomas Hyka)

Jake Muzzin - Drew Doughty
Alec Martinez - Slava Voynov
Derek Forbort - Keaton Ellerby

(First call-ups: Mason Geertsen, Blake Heinrich)

Jonathan Quick
Christopher Gibson

(First call-up: Melvin Nyffeler)

Some feedback would be appreciated. And don't worry, I can take negative comments as well. :laugh:

No faith in Bernier, eh?

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
:isles DRAFT RECAP:

1st (19th) Morgan Klimchuk, LW, Regina Pats (WHL)

Smallish winger who's an elite skater, both in terms of top speed and quickness. Klimchuk is over PPG this season in WHL, and his offensive upside is something that Isles will love to have in future. Could get straight to NHl without spending time in Bridgeport, and could bring some speed next to Tavares who isn't the fastest guy in the world.

2nd (31st) Marko Dano, RW, Slovan Bratislava (KHL)

Dano impressed many during the WJC tournament, and he was clearly Slovakia's best player. Currently playing against elite opponents in KHL, Dano could be ready to put on Islanders jersey as soon as puck hits the ice of Barclays Center the first time. Hemight not shock you with any single aspect of the game, but the overall package is great.

3rd (67th) Juuso Ikonen, C/LW, Espoo Blues (SM-liiga)

Small forward with elite hockey IQ, Ikonen could've been a first-day pick if he'd be 6'1'' instead of 5'9''. Also drafted his linemate from Blues, Miro Aaltonen, and it will take years before either of them is ready to make the transition into NHL.

4th (92nd) Juuse Saros, G, HPK U20 (FIN-Jr.)

Highest ranked European goaltender Saros hasn't got the size of a prototypical modern goalie, but other aspects of his game are great. Has good reflexes and positioning. Hopefully will get some SM-liiga experience in HPK's first team soon.

4th (97th) Jared Hauf, D, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)

Hauf, big 6'6'' defenseman is a project pick who could eventually become a good NHL-level shutdown defenseman. Before that, he will need time in WHL and then in AHL. Hauf likes to play physical, but isn't really an enforcer though.

5th (127th) Dylan Labbé, D, Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)

Good puck-moving offensive defenseman, who's is bigger than the similar players often coming from the Q. His plus-minus has been simply awful this year (-40), but that's more because of the team he's played in. Could become a decent NHLer after couple years in minors.

5th (147th) Miro Aaltonen, LW/C, Espoo Blues (SM-liiga)

Aaltonen is more of a scorer compared to his pass-first linemate Ikonen. Suffered a season-ending injury against Latvia in WJC tournament, which certainly hurt his draft stock significantly. Certainly a steal in 5th round.

6th (177th) Tyler Andrew, RW, Topeka Roadrunners (NAHL)

Big but skilled winger is years away from NHL, and the odds aren't necessarily on his side. Could become a scoring line player or a checking line forward, depending on his development in Ferris State Univeristy where he will play starting from next season.

7th (182th) Maxime Gravel, D, Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)

Similar player to our other QMJHL draftee, 5th round pick Labbe with slightly smaller upside. 7th round picks don't always make it into NHL, but Gravel certainly has some tools in favor of him.

7th (187th) Evan Cowley, Wichita Falls Wildcats (NAHL)

Islanders could use some goaltending prospects behind the future starter Poulin, and here's one more. His future is simply based on his development during his probable NCAA career. Second player in this draft class from NAHL.

------

Possible future lineup for Islanders (2017/18):

Matt Moulson - John Tavares - Morgan Klimchuk
Nino Niederreiter - Ryan Strome - Kyle Okposo
Matt Martin - Anders Lee - Marko Dano
John Persson - Brock Nelson - Casey Cizikas

(First call-ups: Juuso Ikonen, Tyler Andrew)

Griffin Reinhart - Calvin De Haan
Andrew MacDonald - Travis Hamonic
Thomas Hickey - Matt Donovan

(First call-ups: Ville Pokka, Jared Hauf)

Kevin Poulin
Mikko Koskinen

(First call-up: Juuse Saros)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad