NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft #1 by rey72335, Water Knight, and RR

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Mock Draft #2

A sign-up thread will be posted later tonight. Please make sure you read it and PM me, rey, or Water that you want to participate. Returning drafters will get priority.

We have 8 commitments so far. Shooting for 15 with everyone taking 2 teams. The sooner we get there the faster we can start, so PM me if you want in.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The :coyotes: would like to invite Connor Rankin and Colby Cave to our prospect camp. :)

Shocked Rankin didn't get picked. I really had to talk myself out of selecting him in the seventh. I've seen Chris Clapperton play a few times, though, and I love his game. I really didn't want to leave the draft without him. I knew he was going to be my seventh rounder before I knew Lazar was going to be my first rounder.

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
The :coyotes: would like to invite Connor Rankin and Colby Cave to our prospect camp. :)

Shocked Rankin didn't get picked. I really had to talk myself out of selecting him in the seventh. I've seen Chris Clapperton play a few times, though, and I love his game. I really didn't want to leave the draft without him. I knew he was going to be my seventh rounder before I knew Lazar was going to be my first rounder.

Connor Rankin didn't get picked? :amazed: Man, I was going to take him ,but figured he already got picked.

HubOfHockey1918

May 14, 2011
The :bruins 2013 Draft Class

1-24 Kerby Rychel F Windsor (OHL)
2-54 Jimmy Lodge F Saginaw (OHL)
3-84 Luke Ripley D Powell River (BCHL)
4-114 Brendan Harms F Fargo (USHL)
5-144 Matt Buckles F St Michael's (OJHL)
6-174 Anthony Florentino D South Kent (USHS)
7-204 Miles Liberati D London (OHL)

The :panthers 2013 Draft Class

1-6 Hunter Shinkaruk F Medicine Hat (WHL)
2-36 Ian McCoshen D Waterloo (USHL)
4-96 John Ismael Diaby D Victoriaville (QMJHL)
5-126 Cal Peterson G Waterloo (USHL)
5-148 (NJD) Trevor Moore F Tri City (USHL)
6-156 Jeff Corbett D Sudbury (OHL)

Rate my drafts.

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
The :bruins 2013 Draft Class

1-24 Kerby Rychel F Windsor (OHL)
2-54 Jimmy Lodge F Saginaw (OHL)
3-84 Luke Ripley D Powell River (BCHL)
4-114 Brendan Harms F Fargo (USHL)
5-144 Matt Buckles F St Michael's (OJHL)
6-174 Anthony Florentino D South Kent (USHS)
7-204 Miles Liberati D London (OHL)

The :panthers 2013 Draft Class

1-6 Hunter Shinkaruk F Medicine Hat (WHL)
2-36 Ian McCoshen D Waterloo (USHL)
4-96 John Ismael Diaby D Victoriaville (QMJHL)
5-126 Cal Peterson G Waterloo (USHL)
5-148 (NJD) Trevor Moore F Tri City (USHL)
6-156 Jeff Corbett D Sudbury (OHL)

Rate my drafts.

Bruins look really good. Good job with getting Matt Buckles in the fifth. Buckles is having a really good year. Rychel seems like a player that would really do well in a bruins uniform.I also like that the Bruins picked up Lodge and Ripley.
-------------------------------------------
Panthers look good as well. Shinkaruk and McCoshen strike me as players that would fit in well with the Panthers.

Picking up Diaby in the late fourth was a great move. This guy can play defense well and is not afraid to throw down (as his 111 pims so far this season helps to show). Diaby even was brave enough to fight Samuel Morin during one game, although he did lose imo.

Moore and Corbett are nice pick ups as well in the fifth and six rounds respectively.

As for Cal Peterson, I'll be honest I really don't know much about him, but adding a goalie to the Panthers already great goalie farm system couldn't hurt.

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
Rate My Drafts?

:cbj
(1x1) Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax Mooseheads
(1x7) Nikita Zadorov, D, London Knights
(1x14) Zachary Fucale, G, Halifax Mooseheads
(2x31) Connor Hurley, C, Edina High School
(3x61) Stephen Harper, RW, Erie Otters
(4x91) Cole Cassels, C, Oshawa Generals
(5x121) MacKenzie Weegar, D, Halifax Mooseheads
(6x151) Daniel LaFontaine, C, Avon Old Farms School
(7x181) Carter Verhaeghe, C, Niagra Ice Dogs

:sens
(1x16) Alexandre Wennberg, C, Djurgardens
(3x76) Lucas Wallmark, C, Skelleftea
(4x106) Nick Moutrey, RW, Saginaw Spirit
(5x136) Marc McNulty, D, Prince George Cougars
(6x166) Etienne Marcoux, G, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada

:hawks
(1x26) Artturi Lehkonen, RW, KalPa
(4x110) Juuse Saros, G, HPK
(4x120) Remi Elie, LW, London Knights
(5x150) Curtis Valk, C, Medicine Hat Tigers
(6x180) Thomas Gobeil, RW, Chicoutimi Sagueneens
(7x210) Alexandre Lavoie, C, Rimouski Oceanic​

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Detroit are very proud to select Peter Cehlárik - Luleå, SEL

cehlarik_peter_kuriren.nu_3.jpg

0957b80ca3_2.jpg

I just hope he's wasn't taken. If he's not then he's for sure the steal of the draft.

Here's Detroit Draft

Bo Horvat- 17 overall
Marco Dano-47 overall
Martin Reway- 77 overall
Gustav Olofsson- 107 overall
Jackson Whistle- 137 overall
Amil Krupic- 167 overall
Peter Cehlárik- 197 overall

What you think of my draft for Detroit. I feel I did I great job as the gm of Detroit for this draft. If I'm not at least top 5 for the best draft. It would amaze me.

What you think of my draft for Detroit.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Rate My Drafts?

Absolutely love the Blue Jackets draft. A+

Sens had a solid draft as well. B+

Like the Valk pick for the Hawks. B, but only for lack of picks. Tough draft, but you got the most out of it that you could.

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
Rate My Drafts?

Really good job with each of your teams 1st- 4th round picks. As for the later rounds Marc McNulty for the Sens and Daniel LaFontaine for the Blue Jackets are decent picks. Nice job getting Curtis Valk in the fifth round. Seems to be a guy that will go somewhere in the 4th - 5th round, so you picked him up in the ball park, (still a nice pick though).

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
What you think of my draft for Detroit.

Good job with Detroit. In my opinion Bo Horvat, Marco Dano, and Gustav Olofsson would fit in well with the Wings. Jackson is coming off a bad year, so I'm not sure how he will pan out, but goalies typically take awhile to develop , so no real worries there.

Amil Krupic and Peter Cehlárik are nice pick ups as well. Not sold yet on Krupic (,but that's just me), Peter on the other hand is a nice pick up especially where you picked him up. Could be a Red Wing Steal (as most Red Wings 7ths are) if he pans out.

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
:wild Minnesota Wild
Round Draft Pick # Postion Player
1 11 D Ryan Pulock
2 41 LW Oliver Bjorkstrand
3 79 D Samuel Morin
3 88 C Luke Johnson
4 101 D Wiley Sherman
5 131 RW Zack Mitchell
6 161 D Michael Brodzinski
7 191 C Thomas Ebbing
7 194 RW Vlad Bryukvin

:blues St. Louis Blues
1 20 C Max Domi
2 46 G Eric Comrie
2 50 RW Nick Baptiste
3 80 C Alex Forsberg
4 103 RW Max Becker
5 140 LW Brody Silk
6 170 LW Tyler Bertuzzi
7 200 LW Zach Hall

:ducks Anaheim Ducks
1 30th LW Anthony Duclair
2 40th C Ryan Kujawinski
3 89th C John Hayden
4 119th C Jean-Sebastien Dea
5 149th RW Jamal Watson
6 179th RW Sami Salminen
Thoughts and opinions?

Last edited:

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
We have 8 commitments so far. Shooting for 15 with everyone taking 2 teams. The sooner we get there the faster we can start, so PM me if you want in.

We're up to 13 confirmed. We need 2 more. We do already have a couple of newbies with mock experience.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I guess since other people are asking:

For the Pens:

Round 1 (28)- RW Valentin Zykov
Round 2 (57)- RW Michael McCarron
Round 3 (87)- D Michael Downing
Round 4 (117)- G Philippe Desrosiers
Round 5 (147)- D Maxime Gravel
Round 6 (177)- C Eddie Ellis
Round 7 (184)- LW Jaimen Yakubowski
Round 7 (207)- C Conor McGlyn

What do you all think?

I intend to give my thoughts on some of your drafts, but it will be a little while, I have a midterm due soon.

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012

For the Pens:

What do you all think?

I intend to give my thoughts on some of your drafts, but it will be a little while, I have a midterm due soon.

Nice selections, particularly in your first three rounds. Maxime Gravel was a nice pick up in the 5th. Eddie Ellis is a little bit of a gamble ,but for a sixth rounder he is well worth it.

I like your pick of Jaimen Yakubowski in the 7th , I really like this guy. Can't go wrong with a guy who can put up points and stick up for his team mates. A 7th round pick for him? I'm calling this a bit of a steal.

David Strorm

@ControlPuck
Aug 13, 2012
Manitoba
If I could say a teams draft confused me, I would say it was that of St. Louis. Not being critical, I would just like to see why you picked the players you did.

Water Knight

Apr 11, 2012
If I could say a teams draft confused me, I would say it was that of St. Louis. Not being critical, I would just like to see why you picked the players you did.

:blues St. Louis Blues
1 20 C Max Domi
My strategy with the first pick in this draft was to draft the BPA. Even though the Blues have some depth in the center position, they can't pass up the opportunity to draft a high scoring and highly skilled player like Domi. Blues draft the best player available with the 20th pick overall and that player imo was Max.

2 46 G Eric Comrie
While the Blues have to capable goalies in the NHL and Jake Allen in the wings, they could use more depth in quality goalie prospects. Drafting the goalie prospect many consider the second best available in the draft helps to solve this problem.

2 50 RW Nick Baptiste
With Tarasenko graduating to the NHL, the Blues could use an RW to help shore up their depth in that position. Baptiste possesses great speed considering he is around 6 foot 2 , is a great penalty killer, good on the power play (second on his team in power play goals) , and has a good shot (a shot which has allowed him to be 4th on his team in goals). May have taken him a bit early ,but Baptiste is a player that can be used in many different situations and the Blues could possibly miss him if they didn't draft him now.

3 80 C Alex Forsberg
The Blues need Right wingers ,but the Right winger they believe will be the best fit for blues, won't be drafted in till the mid fourth round at the earliest and 6th at the latest. So the Blue can afford to gamble a bit since they can't trade the pick. Blues go a bit off the board and select Alex Forsberg. Alex Forsberg is quick on the rush and possess the uncanny ability to be able to dart between players and around players by sure will. He also has a decent shot. I will admit he is rough around the edges , but he has all the skills he needs already. He just has to work on putting them all together and improving them. Blues are strong at the Center position and can give him all the time he needs to find his game.

4 103 RW Max Becker
Blues are deficient in Right wingers so drafting one is essential. Max Becker is the one I believe best fits their needs. Max has alot of talent and the Blues take him early to avoid missing a player which many say could have amazing upside in the future if given more time.

5 140 LW Brody Silk
Team mate of Nicholas Baptiste (who the Blues took earlier in the draft). Brody has good hands and isn't afraid of defending his teammates and getting involved in fights. An enforcer who can also help put points up on the score board, Silk provides some grit to the Blue's prospect pool.

6 170 LW Tyler Bertuzzi
The Blues have their eye on another LW ,but can't trade down. The Blues believe he will fall into the seventh and use their pick on Bertuzzi. An aggressive forward who isn't afraid to battle to get to the puck. Tyler provides some more sandpaper to the Blues prospect pool while also providing some scoring. While he hasn't gotten into many scarps this season , last season he dropped the gloves 15 times. With the drafting of Silk and Bertuzzi and with Beach already in the system, the Blues insure their future stars are well protected.

7 200 LW Zach Hall
The forward the Blues were hoping would fall into the 7th and did. The blues are happy to select a player with some talent and a scoring touch like Zach Hall. Currently 12th in the OHL in points. Zach Hall even has more points then Sean Monahan and Mark Scheifele at the moment. Hall is a bit of a gamble though (with him being in his third year of Eligibility), but at the price of a 7th ,and with the improvement he has shown in his game the last two seasons ,the Blues take a chance.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta

For the Pens:

What do you all think?

don't know much about the last 4 picks, but i do like the first 4 picks. i say B+. Detroit seems to get all the praises for drafting well, but i feel the Blues have done every bit as well over the last few years and have some excellent potential in their system! :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad