Mobile goalies too safe?

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
I wouldn't mind seeing goalies get blown up for leaving their net and playing the puck.

and the romans didnt mind seeing people getting eaten by lions.

as said before, a goalies equipment is NOT DESIGNED TO TAKE BODY HITS. maybe you are too obtuse to understand that......i dont know.......

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
and the romans didnt mind seeing people getting eaten by lions.

as said before, a goalies equipment is NOT DESIGNED TO TAKE BODY HITS. maybe you are too obtuse to understand that......i dont know.......

I'd appreciate you to be more cordial.

Anyways, if it's not designed to take a hit, I don't think they should be setting picks behind the net and moving the pack at the same time.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
When a goalie like Mike Smith skates 50 ft out of his net to make a play, why isn't the oncoming forecheck allowed to destroy him as soon as he has possession of the puck? He's out of his crease by a mile and playing like a skater.

Part two of this question, why don't goalies all learn how to handle the puck better as a part of their core skills? Watching Smith and he's like a 3rd defenseman back there!
Goaltenders have different equipment and different skates. Basically their protective equipment for example is not meant to protect them from physical play but from hitting pucks. Goalies are also obviously less mobile with their equipment. Try avoiding a check in goalie gear. IMHO it is only fair if the other guy has the same chance to react, so it's okay to protect goalies from all out physical play even outside the crease.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
1. Whine about goalie equipment size.
2. Whine about being able to play the puck when dumped in, trapezoid is now created to stop that.
3. Goalie equipment size is now more streamlined.
4. Goalies are getting more concussions and injuries.

So the idea is to hit them when they want to move the pace of the game along?

I have thoughts about people that want that to be ok but the swear filter exists and I don't want to get banned.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
whats the highest level of hockey you ever played?

My guess is nhl16 until Santa show up.

Although my goalie union dues are very much in arrears, we are not, collectively, a bunch of Pansies. A bunch of crazies most assuredly, but pansies, no.

You know what I always wondered, when skaters catch pucks up high, in the feet or. The back of the legs why they writhe around like little girls instead of emulating the noble goalie who just shrugs it off?

It's almost like the goalie has equipment designed to protect him from the pucks. That and the crazy, don't sell the crazy short.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
1. Equipment not designed for body checks.
2. A lack of an entire roster to replace injured goalies.
3. The importance of the position.
4. They do get hit when racing for the puck, you just can't intentionally go for them.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
You people have a weird obsession with goalies getting concussed. It makes more sense anyways to strip the goalie of the puck and score rather than blowing up the goalie followed by having your face caved in by the entire opposing team. If you want to bring brawls back then sure go ahead with this idea but it'll never happen because goalie equipment isn't made to take hits. And for the record goalies aren't allowed to hit players as it always results in a penalty to the goalie so the playing field is fair right now the way it is.

Brawls? Not if you are a goalie in Buffalo. Nothing happens.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Make a secondary crease with a radius of 10ft from the centerpoint of the goal mouth. Add a portion behind the red line to the current (inner) crease having a radius of 1ft from each post. Touch the goalie in the inner crease, 4 minutes (caveat of being pushed in remains). Touch them in the outer crease, 2 minutes. Goalie plays the puck outside the outer crease, 2 minutes leaving the crease. Freeze the puck outside the inner crease, 2 minutes for delay of game.

Or just take the sticks away from the goalies. :) Give them another catcher.

:sarcasm:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
My only real problem with goalies being off limits is when they go out of their way to intentionally interfere with a player trying to get past them or get to the puck.

If you get off-limits status, you shouldn't be able to use it to interfere at all .

D Wakaluk

Dec 8, 2010
stuck in the '90s
Last thing we need is players taking runs at goalies.. There's enough of disrespect and "accidently" colliding with them when they are IN the crease already

Yeah it's sometimes frustrating when they call every little contact when a goalie is out but it's still better than the alternative

Fear the Wushu

Dec 4, 2013
New Brunswick, NJ
You people have a weird obsession with goalies getting concussed. It makes more sense anyways to strip the goalie of the puck and score rather than blowing up the goalie followed by having your face caved in by the entire opposing team. If you want to bring brawls back then sure go ahead with this idea but it'll never happen because goalie equipment isn't made to take hits. And for the record goalies aren't allowed to hit players as it always results in a penalty to the goalie so the playing field is fair right now the way it is.

Yes, the majority of hockey fans want to see brawls back like the Hextall/Avs-Wings era. Much more exciting brand of hockey.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Let's say goalies are fair game. What happens?

1. Hire a 7' 300 lbs goon/hitman that can barely skate, for one game
2. Have him destroy the #1 goalie of your opponent (especially in playoffs)
3. The goalie is now out for the season
4. The goon is expendable and you now have a much better chance of winning the playoff series with "zero" cost. Maybe the goon gets a fine of 5000 USD, but you can simply pay him say 15k and he is now 10k richer by playing a couple of minutes of "hockey".

I think most teams would consider 15k a cheap price to take out your opponent's #1 goalie and give you a much higher chance of winning the series.

This argument is stupid because you could hire a 7' 300lb guy today to do the exact same thing to the goalie while in his crease. 2 minute penalty is a small price to pay to take out the opponents starting goalie.

....smh

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
It's hilarious how much non-goalies cry about this.

How about this, when your number 1 goes out to play the puck and someone like Martin decides to truck him, he gets done in for 4-6 and your season is effectively done....but at least you proved your point or something.

Also most goalies are 6'1 230lbs+ on ice, so if you wanted them to be fair game, players would often be on the receiving end and likely deal with injuries as well.

So in short, people want to see more injuries and more goalie injuries, GREAT IDEA, someone forward this thread to the NHL, I'm sure they'll get right on that. At least a few mean goalies that have hit players might get it back, THAT'LL SHOW EM!!!

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
You guys are hilarious. The prevailing argument in here is that goalie equipment is not designed to take a hit?

This somehow makes it fair for a team to have a 3rd defenseman skating around their zone, completely untouchable?

And with how ridiculous the goalie interference goal call-backs are, you think the goalies aren't protected enough?

If your equipment isn't designed to take a hit, then stay the hell inside your crease where you're protected! I should care about goalie protection when the goalie is 50 feet out of his net, retrieving the puck like a skater.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You guys are hilarious. The prevailing argument in here is that goalie equipment is not designed to take a hit?

This somehow makes it fair for a team to have a 3rd defenseman skating around their zone, completely untouchable?

And with how ridiculous the goalie interference goal call-backs are, you think the goalies aren't protected enough?

If your equipment isn't designed to take a hit, then stay the hell inside your crease where you're protected! I should care about goalie protection when the goalie is 50 feet out of his net, retrieving the puck like a skater.

When a goalie like Mike Smith skates 50 ft out of his net to make a play, why isn't the oncoming forecheck allowed to destroy him as soon as he has possession of the puck? He's out of his crease by a mile and playing like a skater.

Part two of this question, why don't goalies all learn how to handle the puck better as a part of their core skills? Watching Smith and he's like a 3rd defenseman back there!

Yeah, it's weird how people immediately started answering the first question asked in the OP...

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
On the one hand this is fair, but on the other hand we don't want injuries.

Use no-touch icing as a basis for an innovative solution: if a goalie plays the puck and an opponent tags him, the goalie takes a delay of game penalty!

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Goalies don't wear real shoulder pads so if you allow hitting on them then every goalie will have a dislocated shoulder by Christmas. Not sure the cost:benefit adds up there.

What I dislike though is when a player who is inside the zone tries to ring it around the boards to the other side (basically a long range cycle) and the goalie jumps at it I feel like the goalie is abusing his protection too much and this move is basically interference because the opposition players are nearby and could make a play but have to avoid touching the goalie. Bishop is especially egregious for abusing this I find, he does it all the time and specifically makes a movement to square up to expand his large wingspan with his back to checkers to completely block them off from squeezing past him behind the net to get at the puck, basically daring them to try anyway and then likely make some contact with him and take a penalty (he'll be ready to tumble down at minimal contact).

I think that kind of thing is a bad look for the sport, basically goalies abusing the rules meant for their protection to interfere with the gameflow. I'm fine with goalies playing a long range dump-in which allows them to utilize their passing talent and it protects their D-men, but I think a rule should be added that they can't play pucks if the movement had been initiated in their own zone because that almost always involves opposition players nearby and the goalie is too slow to play it without his special protections blocking off a checker. It's not clean hockey.

Reactions: CDN24

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I don't want them to be open for body checks, but not all contact (behind the net, when they are acting as a skater) should be looked at as a penalty. They have tendency to make themselves too big and negate the ability of a forechecker to make a hockey play. Furthermore, any time they initiate contact, it should result in a penalty on them.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
A goalie a foot outside the crease playing the angles trying to do his job should be fair game to blow to next week? Yes? No? Draw the line then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad