Mobile goalies too safe?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Goalies should stay in their crease where they are protected.
Which is everywhere. I wish people. ( like the op) would stop repeating the lie that outside of the blue goalies are fair game. They are not even if some wish they were.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
i don't agree with making them fair game, but i also feel some goalies take advantage of their "protected" status by coming out to the edge of their crease and throwing blockers and sticks out on forecheckers to help their team break out, basically knowing they can't be touched. that, i don't care for.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You guys are hilarious. The prevailing argument in here is that goalie equipment is not designed to take a hit?

This somehow makes it fair for a team to have a 3rd defenseman skating around their zone, completely untouchable?

And with how ridiculous the goalie interference goal call-backs are, you think the goalies aren't protected enough?

If your equipment isn't designed to take a hit, then stay the hell inside your crease where you're protected! I should care about goalie protection when the goalie is 50 feet out of his net, retrieving the puck like a skater.
The goalies are protected outside the blue. They should stay in the crease to sate your sense of fair play?

How's about. A big fat no? Instead of lamenting the third defenseman scenario perhaps you might benefit from an understanding of the game afforded to pee wee players.

Do you wonder why you can't happy Gilmour a guy as well?

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
The goalies are protected outside the blue. They should stay in the crease to sate your sense of fair play?

How's about. A big fat no? Instead of lamenting the third defenseman scenario perhaps you might benefit from an understanding of the game afforded to pee wee players.

Do you wonder why you can't happy Gilmour a guy as well?

I'm not lamenting anything. I'm not interested in changing the rules. In fact, my question stems from the incoherent goalie interference rules that currently exist. It seems like the NHL has increased the protection afforded to the goalies over the past few years, and in turn, goalies are taking more advantage of their sense of safety. As a few other posters have said, where do you draw the line?

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Then It's not a penalty when a goalie takes some one out at the knees flying in with their head down, sending them ass over tea kettle putting them out for the season. Sound good?

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'm not lamenting anything. I'm not interested in changing the rules. In fact, my question stems from the incoherent goalie interference rules that currently exist. It seems like the NHL has increased the protection afforded to the goalies over the past few years, and in turn, goalies are taking more advantage of their sense of safety. As a few other posters have said, where do you draw the line?
Get in net one time. Just once. See how difficult it is to track the puck without getting touched. Then add in a slight bump from someone out of your line of sight. See how long it takes you to get back into a proper stance, find the puck, and square up to the shooter again. Goalie interference rules are strict because of how much of an impact the slightest bump can have on the ability to make a save. If you have a problem with the consistency the rules are interpreted, join the club. Everyone has numerous examples of awful calls that went against their team.

As for making goalies fair game outside the crease, that’s been well shut down by my fellow goalies ITT. The only thing I’ll add is that a goalie who excels at playing the puck is a rare thing. It’s a very difficult skill to pick up and most goalies struggle with it. A goalie who excels at it should be appreciated, especially if he’s on your team. Further limiting that skill does nothing but hurt the guys who put in the time to perfect that skill.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Mike Smith being able to wear those outrageous sized pads because he's big is of more of a concern to me than the guy coming out and a player not being able to injure him.

Leafblooded

Jul 27, 2012
T.
Then It's not a penalty when a goalie takes some one out at the knees flying in with their head down, sending them ass over tea kettle putting them out for the season. Sound good?

I'm pretty sure the resulting penalty is a toss up already...

Ok, you can't light up a goalie... Fine. So how about tying him up behind the net then? How is it interference if a goalie is willingly playing the puck behind his net, or in the corner? If you guys say goalies have poor skates designed for goaltending and easily fall over, my argument will remain the same....STAY in the NET lol

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I draw the line thusly:. If ;
I draw it thusly, if you can reasonably avoid contact with the goalie you are expected to do so. If this means you can't take the exact line you want to the puck, tough.

Goalies routinely get run and speared by guys chasing the puck. How is that fair? Should we let goalies protect their crease by letting them spear attacking players with impunity?

Inherent to this ridiculous argument is that goalies should stay in "their"area where they "belong". But it's funny how their area becomes anyone's area when there is a loose puck and they have to fend off getting run and sticked and everyone says "that's a good hockey play"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad