OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Am the only one who's lost interest in mma the past year? Was a huge fan of pride back in the day and the UFC for a bit then I kind of list interest in UFC around 2010-2011 then I got right back into it big time but essentially since last spring I've really lost interest seems similar to last time too much disparity in divisions. Every division is 1 or 2 guys and then everyone else. Hopefully some new exciting young fighters come out too rejuvenate me.

My interest isn't what it once was. Becoming like WWE. Too many fighters, side drama shows and watered down cards.

With that being said there is still a lot of good left in the UFC, just curious to see how the addition of women's fighting does in the UFC. Women's combative sports hasn't really been a big thing and I'm not sure that making a main event PPV is going to help the UFC.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
KJ Noons vs Donald Cerrone UFC 160

i expect Cerrone to take noons down and beat his ass but if it stays standing noons has excellent boxing.

BadMedicine*

My interest isn't what it once was. Becoming like WWE. Too many fighters, side drama shows and watered down cards.

With that being said there is still a lot of good left in the UFC, just curious to see how the addition of women's fighting does in the UFC. Women's combative sports hasn't really been a big thing and I'm not sure that making a main event PPV is going to help the UFC.

They should have jumped straight into a TUF series with the women to introduce the title fight with Rousey, it would have been a great way to build momentum, they are nervous about the reception they will recieve from the fans.

They are taking a conservative approach instead of going all-in and starting with a Female TUF, these are the types of dynamics that are beginning to erode the MMA scene from within. The growth spurt is over now and we need to see how the industry will even itself out, but the key to the explosive growth was in fact those high risk all-in moves that were made in the last ten yrs. I thinknow with minimal training and pro exposure womens fighting will appeal only to the hard core fans who have the technical knowledge to truly appreciate what the women are doing on more than a tangible level, I believe the fanbase is now so huge and diverse that they will miss the % of the target market they needed to make womens fighting work for them, the majority are relatively new fans who might not be able to get over the biases related to female combative competition and with combat sports more than any others if you get a bad taste in your mouth as a fan you wont return as its easy to leave when you have no committment beyond the show you are watching, seeing women get bloodied up without having the fan perspective and knowledge to appreciate the commitment and professionalism they display will turn many away, they should have started with a TUF to indoctrinate fans more first. History will tell us what the best route was in a few years.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
womens mma is the opposite of mens mma, with the men you want to see a war and an eventual KO or submission. in womens mma you just wanna watch them grapple for 15 mins, only the hot ones though the fug ones can KO each other and get it over with.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
womens mma is the opposite of mens mma, with the men you want to see a war and an eventual KO or submission. in womens mma you just wanna watch them grapple for 15 mins, only the hot ones though the fug ones can KO each other and get it over with.

Even the hot ones turn fug at some point in the fight.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
as long as booty shorts and sports bras are mandatory who cares what their faces look like as long as they are on the ground grappling amirite?

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Congrats to Winnipeg on getting UFC 161.

Barao vs Wineland
Shogun vs Little Nog
Hendo vs Rashad

To name a few. June 15th

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
overeem hurt and out of JDS fight,

in less than an hour of the news breaking Mark Hunt stormed twitter and got the fight
JDS vs Hunt

Hunt will probably get rolled but it is impossible not to like the guy, i have loved him since about 05 or 06 when he took a crocop high kick flush in the dome and stood there like nothing happened. love mark hunt.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting interview with Tom Wright yesterday saying that UFC will be in Edmonton. Talked about trying to do it with a CFL game between the Riders and Eskimos so that they could lure some Sask fans in. Personally unless the plan is do have the fight at Commonwealth I don't think they'd really need to do a cross-promotion.

I don't know that he meant do it on the same day or anything, but if they did do a Friday-Saturday CFL-UFC at Commonwealth it could be quite the weekend.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Anyone hear the conference call that went done yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuAFgpkzvvU

It starts at 7 minutes in where they dont know where Diaz is but then he interrupts the entire call by saying hello a bunch of times haha

The whole call is entertaining but **** starts going down at the 32:00 minute mark

Cant wait until next weekends card

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It's unfortunate that Diaz is such an idiot, his fights are always entertaining but I find it impossible to cheer for him.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
nick diaz is a character for sure, why u mad bro? why you mad? when he went off on the conference call about the soccer mom in a mini van yelling at him that she hopes gsp kicks his ass was so funny.

gsp is pampered and i hope diaz wins but i also know reality and diaz is about to get humped for 25 mins

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Diaz is a wannabe thug loser with a junior high mentality. Can't wait to see GSP make him look like an amateur.

I don't think he's a wannabe, he is a thug loser. Take away MMA and the guy is on the streets fighting.

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I don't think he's a wannabe, he is a thug lose. Take away MMA and the guy is on the streets fighting.

Either way the guy is a ****, (rhymes with dwat;)) and I can't stand his idiot, bully mentality. He is almost as annoying as Koscheck...well, I shouldn't go too far, no one is as Pejorative Slured as that guy.

Speaking of which, if you haven't read this article you should, it's a gem.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/a-book-insults-just-ufc/

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
GSP is going to pick Diaz apart

you dont mean standing do you? because if gsp stand with diaz for 25 minutes he is going to look like hamburger meat. he wont stand with diaz for more than a minute.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I don't think he's a wannabe, he is a thug lose. Take away MMA and the guy is on the streets fighting.

I dont think diaz is thug anything, i think he chose martial arts as a way to avoid that lifestyle. the dudes a loose cannon no doubt (see him fighting joe riggs in the hospital) but i dont think he is thugish at all.

I have always loved watching nick diaz fight, he has never been in a boring fight and he is tough as hell. the punch he took from gomi could have killed a donkey.

i hope gsp tries to stand with nick and gets stockton slapped for 25mins, but we all know that gsp is going to hump his way to a tko (doubt it) or dec.

PepsiFiend

Feb 19, 2009
you dont mean standing do you? because if gsp stand with diaz for 25 minutes he is going to look like hamburger meat. he wont stand with diaz for more than a minute.

I disagree, Diaz has poor boxing, he is a volume puncher with a good chin that destroys anyone who stands in the pocket with him... GSP will counter him all day. Diaz has horrible footwork, no head movement, and doesn't properly cut off angles as seen in the Condit fight! However I think we might see a finish in this fight as Diaz actually opens himself up looking for finishes unlike alot of other GSP opponents who play it safe. Should be a good fight IMO... I am excited for Condit/Hendricks, might see Hendricks actually go back to his wrestling if he is losing the striking battle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad