MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
So we'll see what's next for Reyes but I do think that this is the proper matchup to make next even though it is undoubtedly not one that will have the fans pumped.

With the current sports situation, the next couple months might the be perfect time to make that fight as people are bound to tune in regardless.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
With the current sports situation, the next couple months might the be perfect time to make that fight as people are bound to tune in regardless.

This was in the back of my mind with the Jones/Ngannou fight as well. If you sign that fight, Jones is going to want months to bulk up and by that time sports should be rolling again. You can probably get Jones v Reyes/Blachowicz turned over this summer and with some extra eyeballs maybe the PPV #'s aren't all that different. When you add in that Jones wants a ton more money for that fight it makes sense to get Jones fighting a LHW.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jones is a draw. He's obviously nowhere near the Conor level, but with Rousey gone nobody really is. He's one of the their most bankable guys though who will give them a floor of 500k+ PPVs which is double what the floor is for some other guys. He is probably the #2 draw in the UFC right now in terms of North American PPV buys.

But yeah, this was kind of my issue with the Ngannou fight anyway. Jones & Ngannou are going to want to get these massive paydays and it's not like it will be a million buy PPV anyway. An extra 200,000 PPV buys is probably worth what, 5 million bucks to the UFC? If Jones wants a huge piece of that it doesn't really work.

yeah I just checked and he did pretty well with the draw on the Smith and Gus 2 fight, couldn’t find the Santos data though. I’m sure it was a hair less due to the lack of press/opponent, probably in that 400-500k range which is still pretty solid

Gaethje-Ferguson did pretty well considering PPV is dying

Reactions: m9

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Disappointing but not all that surprising it played out like this. It was going to be tough to put the fight together as soon as Dana said, "I don't think they really want to fight." We know by now that's his equivalent of saying, "we're not going to pay what they're asking for." He has used the same line publicly with GSP, Diaz, and I believe one of Usman/Woodley more recently.

Biggest loser in all of this is Ngannou because there's nothing for him. He has earned a title shot but likely won't get to fight for the belt until 2021 at this rate. At least Jones has some fights lined up at 205.

Reactions: m9

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Kevin Holland took another fight on the Woodley-Burns card, that guys a savage. I like him a lot. Even his losses are entertaining

Reactions: Avs_19

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Kevin Holland took another fight on the Woodley-Burns card, that guys a savage. I like him a lot. Even his losses are entertaining
To be fair, his last fight he didn't even break a sweat.

Probably see's it as another pay day since hes already in fight shape anyways

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
To be fair, his last fight he didn't even break a sweat.

Probably see's it as another pay day since hes already in fight shape anyways

You’re right- he did not break even the tiniest of sweats, I believe it’s still the 2nd quickest turnaround though

that’s how I’d look at it too- especially since he’s not a top earner. Might as well double up

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
You’re right- he did not break even the tiniest of sweats, I believe it’s still the 2nd quickest turnaround though

that’s how I’d look at it too- especially since he’s not a top earner. Might as well double up
He's lots of fun to watch, so it should be an entertaining fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Surprised they would let guys fight again so quickly with everything going on. Figured they might get quarantined for a couple weeks after a fight.

But whatever, I guess they've all been tested.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Guess they couldn't get a real headliner finalized and they are going with Nunes/Spencer as the main event. Just awful. Nothing even co-main worthy on the card.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Guess they couldn't get a real headliner finalized and they are going with Nunes/Spencer as the main event. Just awful. Nothing even co-main worthy on the card.
Screams desperate to hold an event.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think Sterling and Sandhagen is a fine co-main with a beefier main event, but we just don’t have a great main event

there are a bunch of good fights on that card, it’s just not a great PPV

seems like they are making Shane Burgos vs Josh Emmett for an upcoming fight night

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Sterling and Sandhagen is a fine co-main with a beefier main event, but we just don’t have a great main event

there are a bunch of good fights on that card, it’s just not a great PPV

seems like they are making Shane Burgos vs Josh Emmett for an upcoming fight night

I agree there are good fights on there. If it had a proper main event it would be a good card (with Nunes/Spencer as co-main).

Sandhagen/Sterling isn't a legit co-main. It's a fine fight, but neither guy has been any sort of headliner in the past.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I agree there are good fights on there. If it had a proper main event it would be a good card (with Nunes/Spencer as co-main).

Sandhagen/Sterling isn't a legit co-main. It's a fine fight, but neither guy has been any sort of headliner in the past.

depending on what Cejudo does it’s for a title fight at one of the most competitive divisions. With the title shot implications I think it can serve as a legitimate co-main but it seems like it’s not gonna have that or a legitimate main event to work with so it will look insufficient

fights gonna be great tho imo

excited to see O’Malley against a vet like Wineland too

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Sterling-Sandhagen isn't a co-main under normal circumstances. It would be alright during the pandemic, but it's tough to swallow with Nunes-Spencer as the main.

Really, they should scrap the Woodley-Burns card. Woodley-Burns as the co-main wouldn't be terrible and there's not one other fight on that card that I can even pretend to care about. UFC 250 sucks for a PPV, but there's at least some fights/fighters I want to see.

But I know they got a quota they've got to fulfill.

Reactions: Avs_19 and m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
depending on what Cejudo does it’s for a title fight at one of the most competitive divisions. With the title shot implications I think it can serve as a legitimate co-main but it seems like it’s not gonna have that or a legitimate main event to work with so it will look insufficient

fights gonna be great tho imo

excited to see O’Malley against a vet like Wineland too

Sure, if they make that co-main a title fight that obviously makes a difference because the stakes are higher. Still not great though.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Reading the Shamrock book and being reminded of how that grandstanding clown John McCain led his bullshit campaign to kill MMA. My favorite Twitter reply ever was when his Daughter tweeted out "ROT IN HELL ROGER STONE" and somebody replied "He's going to prison not visiting your dad". Greatest clap back ever.

member 51464

Hooker/Poirier in the main event of the card on June 27th. Glad they made this fight, interested to see Hooker against one of the top guys like Poirier.

Also a nice change to see these fights announced and not have to wait months for them.
That's a nice one that even makes sense rankings wise and all, haha. Hope it comes to fruition!

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hooker/Poirier in the main event of the card on June 27th. Glad they made this fight, interested to see Hooker against one of the top guys like Poirier.

Also a nice change to see these fights announced and not have to wait months for them.
Great fight. Big step up for Hooker. Ragin' Al and Felder surely aren't scrubs, but Poirier is like a notch below champ caliber.

Not having to wait is awesome from an entertainment point of view. I wonder how the fighters feel about it. Would they rather have the 3 month camps and just taking the fights cause they want to get paid? Or are the ones that are accepting the fights already training and staying in shape? Or are they are just going old school with anyone, anywhere, any time?

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

I loved hookers call out of him, sounded great w the accent

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Next three main events:

Woodley vs. Burns (I like it)
Nunes vs. Spencer (PPV headliner?)
Eye vs. Calvillo (Awful)

Fight Island better be a real thing and up and running in early July so the international fighters can compete. They're already starting to just throw anything at the wall to get these cards out.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great fight. Big step up for Hooker. Ragin' Al and Felder surely aren't scrubs, but Poirier is like a notch below champ caliber.

Not having to wait is awesome from an entertainment point of view. I wonder how the fighters feel about it. Would they rather have the 3 month camps and just taking the fights cause they want to get paid? Or are the ones that are accepting the fights already training and staying in shape? Or are they are just going old school with anyone, anywhere, any time?

This particular fight has been in the works for awhile so I think it will be fine.

It seems like most fighters interviewed have a target date they are trying to fight and then are just hoping the UFC can get a good fight for them around that time. So probably just more general training and then focus more on the opponent when things get confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad